It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Ideas for Fender for Expo accessories
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:06 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

My home-made accessories have improved my pair of Fender Expos. Professionally made accessories would be even better. Here's a hint to Fender so other people can get the performance I get from my Expos (and so maybe I can get better-made accessories).
1. I took my tower carrying bags to a tailor shop to have the pads for the twin spikes at the bottom of the tower moved to the other end of the carrying bag. Now, the carrying bags work great because the handles are at the balance point for the speakers. Fender (or their subcontractor) screwed up and put the pads at the wrong end of the bags. Fender should fix this on their next run of bags.
2. I bought a moving blanket, cut it up and hand-sewed an acoustic shield to cover the extruded aluminum shell of the tower. If you are in an environment were loud, clear sound coming off the back of the speakers is a bad thing, this significantly improves the usefulness of the Expos. My musicians don't want to hear the house mix. They want to hear the monitor mixes without too much competition. This fixes that, though it took two layers of blanket. Maybe Fender can come up with better materials.
3. Raising the Expo a foot or more can help when dancers stand right next to the speakers. The array effect is great, but there is no tweeter array. There's just one really loud and clear tweeter, and getting that well above ear level can save people from perhaps permanent hearing loss. I'm sure Fender could come up with more appropriate, custom made stands than I can, especially if they can collapse for storage and transport.

Fender Play April 2019