It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Expo gig bags
Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:19 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I just got my Expo gig bags. They aren't cheap, but I'm pleased with the quality.

Basically, I don't want my Expos scratched up or casually dented when I carry them around. These cases look well suited to that task, made of durable cloth with light padding, well fitted to the units.

The tower bags are particularly nice with pads for the mounting rods at the bottom. My one complaint is that the carrying handles are placed at the center of the length of the tower, which is useless for carrying the column because the center of gravity is far from the center of the tower. It looks like that's where the handles should go, but it's at least a foot away from the center of gravity.

Likely, I'll use the shoulder strap to carry the column like an arrow quiver, over my back, with the heavy end at the bottom. So, that strap, which is removable, is useful, while the handle straps, which are not removable, are useless. I may even cut them off to get them out of the way, since their only apparent function is to entangle themselves while I try to put the tower in the case or pull it out. Bad engineering.

But with the shoulder strap, it should be easy to carry the towers, and with the woofer cover, it should be easy to carry the woofers as well. While thicker padding would have been more protective, I suspect this is plenty, and thinner padding means the covers don't take up half my closet while I'm not using them, which is most of the time.

So, except for the stupidly unbalanced handles on the tower covers, I like the product.

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Expo gig bags
Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:28 pm
Roadie
Roadie

Don't have an Expo system with the carry bags, but I have had this problem before with other equipment, not just music stuff. I couldn't find an actual closeup photo of how the handles are attached on the Expo bag, but if you are exasperated enough to cut them off to get them out of the way, you might try taking the bag to a place that does heavy-duty stitching, like a shoe repair shop. Depending oh how and where the handles are attached, it may be possible to take out the stitching and move the handles to the actual center of gravity. Anyway, it might be worth a shot, good luck.

"If today was Christmas Eve, if today was Christmas Eve,
Tomorrow would be Christmas Day..."

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:40 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

That's cool that you're happy with the cases for the Expo's. After we got our sets we looked into the cases but all the reviews that I found were not good.

We went with some generic bags for our systems, lined with some upholstery foam from a fabric store, all for about $125.

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:39 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Glad I see somebody else posted something about this. I have been running my Expo for about a month now, once a week for my karaoke gigs. Used it with my band this past weekend to supplement our sound. Worked great.
I also, have the same problem with the column bag. Not good. I ordered mine from Sweetwater, and they are great. I contacted them at first and I know they would switch it out, but I did not. I thought maybe I had a one off, that was maybe made incorrectly at the plant or something, but this appears to be a staight up design flaw.
Will be contacting Fender this week to let them know. Maybe they have already corrected the problem.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:13 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Looking more closely at mine, I see that the handles are NOT centered. It looks like they correctly measured how far the handles should be off center... and then sewed them on off-centered toward the wrong end, or put the internal pads at the wrong end. If the pads were at the other end, or if the handles were at the other end, it would probably balance perfectly. Whichever is the case, somebody screwed up and all the bags fail to balance.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:27 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Contra Caller, yes, exactly.

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:28 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

ContraCaller, I put a call in today to Fender about the column bag. Seems they are unaware of the issue. The gentleman I spoke to, said he would pass it along. What will get done, is yet to be determined. Might not hurt if you put a call in as well. Hopefully others that run into this, do the same.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:38 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

There's a small shop nearby that does alterations to clothing and leather work. I took my tower bags in last Saturday and explained that I wanted the pads moved to the other end. While in my egocentric dreams, I think I could do this, myself, here in the real world, I'm pretty sure that I would not do a particularly good job.

I told them it would be okay to stitch through the exterior of the bag. I'm not worried about cosmetics here, and given that Fender did a poor job of following through and actually TESTING these bags, I don't mind stitches running through their logo on the bag. If anyone asks, I'll be quite happy to explain it to them.

I'll report back on whether or not this makes the bags more useful. It's a pity they are so unbalanced. They are really well made in terms of quality of materials and construction. They just screwed up the balance by putting the pads at the wrong end; a remarkably bone-headed finish on an otherwise fine product. It's costing me $45 to get this done, which means my uncommon loyalty and high opinion of Fender has been reduced by $45.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:57 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Yeah, I will be doing the same. I never heard back and do not expect to. It's a shame, but I don't think the sales of the Expo took off like they maybe thought it would. If it was a hot item, I am sure they would make an attempt to make this right.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:15 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I got the bags back from having the pads moved to the other end. Wow! What a difference!

The towers now balance perfectly for either the handles or the shoulder straps. It's nice having the handles closer to one end, but balanced, because I put them on a shelf over my 65 pound subwoofer, which has a hand truck pushed up against it. I can reach around the hand truck to get the towers in and out with grace and ease. Carrying them to gigs will be much easier as well.

Maybe Fender has already made all the bags they'll ever make, but if they haven't they really need to change the pads to the other end. It's like building a dragster with tiny wheels in the back and huge, fat tires up front. It's just wrong.