It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post subject: Fender Expo?
Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:40 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

So I put a post asking about these Fender Expo series systems in the PA/Passport section as well. But since this seems to be the most active section of the forums I'll ask here too.

Any of the performers here used these systems? I've been researching the Bose L1 systems and just heard about the Expo's so want to get some info on them from the most important reviewers there are......actual musicians using them.

Thanx in advance for any info anyone can offer.

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Fender Expo?
Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:50 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Shoot.
I though you were asking about an upcoming event.

No knowledge of that gear.

Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:50 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Hi Chris, I have been looking at the Expo too. It looks good and from the reviews might be comparable to the Bose system. If you choose to get the Expo please let us know. :D

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:06 am
Roadie
Roadie

I wasn't aware of these systems till your post. I've owned a Bose system before and from the description it sounds pretty comparable but without some of the limitations for input on the Bose with is purely mono. From the looks of it you should be able to use a standard non-powered mixing board and route the left and right signals to two stacks in order to service a full band, which was always a pain with the Bose.

Fender American Strat
Martin GPCPA1 Plus Grand Performer
Fender Mustang IV v.2

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:13 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Yes dunedindragon, that is how I understand it.

And if I've understood what I've read correctly, you can take a mono out of the board, like we use, go straight from your board into one system, than just using XLR cables daisy chain others, pretty easy.

I play in a classic rock cover band /4 pc, and the guitarist and I have an acoustic trio with another singer so we would have double purpose from a simple PA.

Just want to be certain we learn all about it before we lay out the money ya know? 8)

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:47 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

I made a post down in the Fender Passport sub-forum. Things move slowly down there, but have the benefit of sticking around on the 'front page' awhile. Maybe Brad will rename it Fender Passport & Expo. 8)

2018 Rumble Studio 40 Combo
2016 Rumble 200 Combo
One day they shall name a GREAT city after me, and they shall call it LINNINGRAD

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:03 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

So we purchased 2 Fender Expo systems, will probably have them in our hands tomorrow/Wed 11/19. We are getting together on Thursday to set them up and try them out.

Stay tuned for more.

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:42 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

WI KISSfan wrote:
So we purchased 2 Fender Expo systems, will probably have them in our hands tomorrow/Wed 11/19. We are getting together on Thursday to set them up and try them out.

Stay tuned for more.

Alright Chris ! :D

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:59 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

So our guitarist got the boxes last night and he couldn't resist opening up one of these Expo systems to check it out.....can't blame him, I'd have done the same. :D

Looking forward to tomorrow to give these a test run.

He sent this photo!

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:53 am
Roadie
Roadie

Looks nice and simple. Good luck with it. Keep us advised as to how it works, especially with the 4pc classic rock band. I have a friend that's looking for a system for similar types of things and it would be nice to know if this is a player for their uses or not.

In particular I'm curious how it would perform in a bit larger situation where you would mic the amps through the PA.

Fender American Strat
Martin GPCPA1 Plus Grand Performer
Fender Mustang IV v.2

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:21 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Hopefully we'll have some idea tonight on how well this works, we have access to a large room to take a test drive.

We will be running the 3 voc mics and 3 instrument line in's (bass/guitar/kick) into our Mackie board and than to the Expo's.

Reviews to follow. Truthfully, I'm not too optimistic because I still can't fathom how this stuff sits behind you and works without feeding back into your mics? But I'm a pessimist and I would LOVE for this to work just for the simplicity of it.

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:48 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Cool photo, thanks for posting, looking forward to your review. 8)

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:08 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

:arrow: awaiting your review as patiently as possible :wink:

2016 Rumble 200 Combo
One day they shall name a GREAT city after me, and they shall call it LINNINGRAD

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:06 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Time for my review. Thanx for waiting.

First off, the setup with these things, incredibly easy and fast. Based on what I researched about the Bose comparable systems this can't be beat. One line from the board to the first expo, one XLR to the next and you're good to go.

So now we had some sound but had to tinker with the board. First thing I noticed is that the mix from our board, as it was, was pretty muddy so I had to play with that. Now for positioning we put one of these just on each side and behind our drummer, trying to duplicate the setup as it would be live. The room we were in was a "gym/fellowship" hall for our drummers church, imagine a full size gym with a suspended ceiling and carpet 1/2 way up the walls all around, great spot. Once we had the eq's set up on the channels as we liked them we kept slowing bringing up the gains. And miracle of miracles, this thing never got feedback. I still can't wrap my brain around how that works. They were maybe 7-8 ft behind us and we were turning it up and nothing squealed, pretty cool.

Now we started running through some songs, all of us, except the drummer of course, have wireless so we were able to get out in front while playing. But guess what, you don't need to get out in front because from our mic to 20 ft in front of our mic's the sound level was about the same with little noticeable dropoff.

The only "con" is that the kick drum isn't quite as punchy as our old subs, it's there and not bad but not quite the same. It was quickly decided that what we were getting was still acceptable and since it's new we will only get better at eq'ing the mix to improve things.

The only real complaint from a band member was from our drummer. He is used to our old monitor mix in which there was nothing but vocals. The guitarist and I put our amps next to him so he had that stage volume only, and we kept the monitors pretty clean. Now he was hearing everything and he thought that because of the increased volume he was playing "harder" and he didn't care for that.

Once it was time to discuss/vote, it was unanimous to keep these things. In fact, in reference to what the drummer said I bought a 3rd set today. Now we can put one back by the drummer and the other two further out to the wings and a little forward. In this way he can adjust that middle one down slightly. so yes we spent $899 /pc 3 times but we have two complete PA's now so we have a bunch of stuff to sell and raise some $$. Plus we're all around 50 and just tired of lugging the bigger stuff around and putzing with it.

One very strange thing is the "spatial" aspect of these being behind you. Instead of a floor monitor blasting up at you and hearing the mains, all in front, now it's all behind you. The first couple songs it was like we were all a little drunk and couldn't stay together, but we got over that after just playing through it. Strange how that location alone can affect your playing.

So we're fans of these, the 3rd one should be in by Wed 11/26 or Friday 11/28 so we'll be using these next Sat night for a first gig. Really glad we got to simulate a live room in that way last night.

Hope all this makes sense. Now to come up with some cases for these. I did read many reviews and it's almost universal that people think the cases you can purchase are pretty "chinzy." I'm thinking PVC tubes with some packing blankets for the towers, not sure about the bass bins yet.

Last edited by WI KISSfan on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:42 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Great Review WI KISSfan! Thanks for posting. 8)

2016 Rumble 200 Combo

Go to page 1, 2  Next