It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post subject: Fender Expo systems?
Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:45 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

So we've been researching the Bose system for our band, and I just heard about these Fender Expo systems. Anyone using one, or more, of these Expo's that can give a proper review of their use. Is the Expo, like the Bose, intended to sit behind the musicians/vocal mics so that floor monitors aren't needed.

Just a glance at what we're looking for. We are a 3 pc, guitar/bass/drums lineup with a vocalist. Total inputs are 3 vocal mics and 3 instrument inputs. We are in central WI and play small bars/clubs with crowds from 50 to 200 people on average.

I haven't found much for info on this system yet but have always loved my Fender gear and have been kind of turned off with the prices on the Bose stuff. I'm not putting it down because I haven't used it but $2k plus just to start off seems pretty steep to me.

Thanx in advance for any info anyone can provide.

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Fender Expo systems?
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:37 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

I've not heard or used the new Fender Expo. It just looks like it'd be perfect for small venues. No need for seperate floor monitors or subwoofers. Compare that to paying for; hauling, set-up & tear-down using powered mains; monitors, and sub-woofs. That's an easy five grand right there. Fender Expo are a grand a piece with built in sub-woofer. The cheapest Bose with their 'bass module' is $1,700. If you call your favorite e-tailer you should be able to get a pair of Fender Expos for a price very close to a single Bose L1 with Bass M1.

2018 Rumble Studio 40 Combo
2016 Rumble 200 Combo
One day they shall name a GREAT city after me, and they shall call it LINNINGRAD

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:48 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

linnin wrote:
I've not heard or used the new Fender Expo. It just looks like it'd be perfect for small venues. No need for seperate floor monitors or subwoofers. Compare that to paying for; hauling, set-up & tear-down using powered mains; monitors, and sub-woofs. That's an easy five grand right there. Fender Expo are a grand a piece with built in sub-woofer. The cheapest Bose with their 'bass module' is $1,700. If you call your favorite e-tailer you should be able to get a pair of Fender Expos for a price very close to a single Bose L1 with Bass M1.

That's kind of what I'm seeing, not only price but several reviews of the Bose that I have seen the comment has been "bass is lacking" and as the bass player that stands out to me.

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:04 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

All I play are small bars, and I never need to run my bass through the PA at all. I'm running a Fender Rumble 350 with a pair of Rumble 112 Neo cabs. I just play at drum level. However loud the drummer is that's my stage volume. It carries out into the audience quite well.

2016 Rumble 200 Combo
One day they shall name a GREAT city after me, and they shall call it LINNINGRAD

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:19 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Let me toss this link up -> http://www.fender.com/audio/pro-audio/fender-expo-120v/

The Expo has a 1" Neo tweeter and eight 3" Neo mid-range drivers plus a pair of 6 1/2" woofers. Seems to me that would blow the Bose away. No wattage ratings available for either unit. I am reminded of early Harley-Davidson literature that listed the hoursepower as "sufficient". :wink:

2016 Rumble 200 Combo

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:59 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

linnin wrote:
Let me toss this link up -> http://www.fender.com/audio/pro-audio/fender-expo-120v/

The Expo has a 1" Neo tweeter and eight 3" Neo mid-range drivers plus a pair of 6 1/2" woofers. Seems to me that would blow the Bose away. No wattage ratings available for either unit. I am reminded of early Harley-Davidson literature that listed the hoursepower as "sufficient". :wink:

Sufficient? That's quite the ambiguously useless rating isn't it? :D

I did contact Fender cust service yesterday and got a copy of the manual/pdf emailed to me. Not very helpful though. By the time you take out the warranty info in 9 languages it's only two pages. Just shows the most basic things, power, clip light etc.

I don't get the no wattage rating either. I'm pushing my bandmates toward the Fender but we have to find someplace to see one first, no easy task here. Guitar Center would be the closest retailer that carries the Expo and that is 1 1/2 hours from us.

The coolest part about it is we could take our vocals and the kick drum mic to our Mackie board, board to the first Expo, than DMX that Expo to the 2nd, use our bass and guitar amps on their own and go. No monitors, no issues. That would be great and that's how I understand it at this point. Now just to see one.

The guitarist and I are in a separate acoustic group that would benefit from having one of these systems at our disposal as well.

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:45 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

I think that would be ideal. One thing you could do is go ahead and order one and give it a go for your acoustic show, and also during full band rehersal and see how well it does. You like it then order another. You don't then send it back.

2016 Rumble 200 Combo

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:56 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

In terms of expansion, the cool part, so far as I can tell, is that it combines the Left and Right inputs for its built-in amp, but keeps them separate for the pass-through ports. This means that you can use as many or as few as you like.

If you have an even number and your mixer has stereo out, then use them as in traditional speaker systems, but if you have an odd number of them, go from your mixer to the middle Expo, then split out to the ones on each side.

So, use one in mono, two in stereo, or three in stereo with a combined center channel, or four in stereo or five in stereo with a combined center channel, etc.

All it takes is money. But it doesn't really cost more than whatever else you'd use in its place. If I were starting out now, this is what I'd get. I'm invested in my Passports at this point, and unless I could manage to sell them for enough to dull the pain of the cost of Expos, I'm probably waiting for some new, driving need to spur on the purchase, since I don't have "all it takes".

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:50 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Contracaller, I don't have "all it takes" to buy these either. But since two of our band members are a lawyer and dentist respectively, they are tired of hauling gear and pushing for these, so they want to just buy them and we'll return them if we're not happy with it. Kind of what you said linnin.

Helps to pick your friends and bandmates carefully :D

But seriously I hope they are awesome and work well. Looks like our setup time would be like 15 mins, or the time it takes the drummer to set up.

I will keep you guys posted on what happens, stay tuned!

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:12 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I first seen one about a week ago going to get a set of strings. They look like a Boise system with the tower if that the one your talking about. I asked the guy working there if these were better then my Passport 500 and he told "don't even think of getting rid of my Passport for one of them and they don't compare at all" .

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:33 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I wonder if he was talking about the sound quality, or the fact that a Passport is a mixer, an amp and a pair of speaker cabinets, while the Expo is an amp and a single speaker cabinet for the same cost.

Meanwhile, because I need monitor mixes, I use a Mackie DL1608 mixer, and then use one stereo channel on the Passport for the Mains. The Expo would technically be a better fit, since I'm basically using the Passport as if it were an Expo.

If I understand the theory behind the array speakers of the Expo, if you stand next to a Passport's speakers and then stand next to the Expo, the Passport will sound louder, though the Expo's sound will carry farther, so that standing farther away, the Expo sounds louder and the Passport is not as loud.

Basically, the idea is that up close or far away, with the Passport, I'm listening to one tweeter and one woofer, but with the Expo, standing up close, I'm listening to one tweeter, one midrange speaker and two woofers (because the other midrange speakers are vertically off-axis and not so loud, so I don't hear them because they are drowned out by the one that is most on-axis for my ears). A few feet farther away, I now have two midrange speakers on-axis pretty much equally. Farther away, I have three. Eventually, I have all eight on-axis.

Since most sound is in the mid-range, having eight mid-range speakers will make the sound carry well over distance without being as loud up close to the cabinet. So, if you plug them in at the music store in a small room, they won't sound as loud as a conventional speaker cabinet, like the Passport, but in a larger room, the sound carries better across distance.

If that's actually how it works, it would be perfect for dances, since some people dance really close to the speakers and others are farther away. It's also nice to have all the heavy parts down on the floor and lighter parts up higher, so nobody knocks the speaker stands over and nails some dancer with a 60 pound speaker.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:32 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Good point! Plus those eight 3" Neo midrange drivers are easily equal to a pair of 10's as far as volume and amount of air being moved. Not only that but they are going to have tons of highs that the 10's don't.

2016 Rumble 200 Combo

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:07 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

They have been ordered, 10% off through GC online, should be here on Wed/Thur next week.

Now to find a big empty room to set them up and see what happens.

Stay tuned for more.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:40 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

WI KISSfan wrote:
They have been ordered, 10% off through GC online, should be here on Wed/Thur next week.

Now to find a big empty room to set them up and see what happens.

Stay tuned for more.

:mrgreen: WOOT! :mrgreen:

2016 Rumble 200 Combo

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:00 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Our guitarist got the systems in the mail last night, we're all totally pumped to get together tomorrow and test it all out.

He opened one up, can't blame him, I'd have done the same.

Go to page 1, 2  Next