It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender Expo System Questions
Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:36 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I'm considering buying the Fender Expo System for $999.
I do karaoke gigs and small shows with 3 or 4 other singers.
I might just replace my 4 existing passive speakers with this Fender Expo System.
Some of my friends have the Bose towers and love them but they only sing with one or two singers plus using the music input. I often have 4 or more mics plugged into my powered mixer.
My question is:
I use a Peavey XR600G 8 channel powered mixer so that I can use 4 microphones or more, plus the small red and white RCA plugs to put the music from my karaoke disk player into the amp.
Will I blow the speakers with my powered mixer plus the power that this system has on its own?
Will I like the sound quality of the voices better than my 4 speakers (15" Peavey passive neoprene) speakers?
I'm looking to improve the clarity of the vocals and have less to carry around as well.

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Fender Expo System Questions
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:37 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Wow, this has gone unanswered for nearly a month!

Yes you will blow up your nice new thousand dollar Fender Expo if you shove a bunch of watts into it from your powered mixer, so don't do that. If you can't bypass your mixers power section to access an unamplified line level output, you will have to buy an new unpowered mixing board.

Pop on down to the Fender Passport sub-forum as there is some interesting Expo discussion down there.
http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=96719

2018 Rumble Studio 40 Combo
2016 Rumble 200 Combo
One day they shall name a GREAT city after me, and they shall call it LINNINGRAD

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:36 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have been on the board here quite regularly and this is the first I have seen of this thread. It must of just got moved here.
Yes, running anything powered into another powered unit is generally not a good practice. You will surely damage something.
With that being said, is there a regular unpowered main line out, of the mixer? Generally there is. So if there is, you could still utilize this mixer.
I currently run my Fender Expo for a karaoke show every Friday, in a pretty rowdy bar. No problems. I run three mics. I would not be afraid to run more, if I needed them.
I also have some other threads, that you may be interested in reading in this Fender Expo section.
The Fender Expo section, was just recently created in this Forum. Since it is new, it will not take long to skim through them.
Also, just a side note. Since my introduction to Line Array systems, I have sold off all my old school PA stuff to recoup some of the expense, and have not been happier. I am broke down and out the door, before some even realize it.

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:19 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Many powered mixers also have "line level output" ports. If yours does, you can still use your powered mixer with the Fender Expo.

Here's the deal:

A sound system starts with a microphone (producing a mic-level signal, very weak), sends that to a mic pre-amp (producing a line-level signal, roughly strong enough to drive headphones), and sends that to a mixer, which mixes together pre-amplified mics and other line-level input signals and sends them all, at line level, to a power amplifier, which remarkably increases the signal strength to the power level needed to drive speakers loud enough for dozens or hundreds or thousands of people to hear stuff.

When you say "powered mixer", what you mean is one box which contains mic pre-amps, a line-level mixer, and a power amplifier. When you say "powered speaker" you mean a power amplifier in the same box as the speaker. So, if you combine a powered amplifier with a powered speaker, you have one power amplifier sending a signal to another power amplifier, but power amplifiers always assume the input is line level.

So, you need to bypass one of the power amplifiers. You can't do that with powered speakers. There is no signal path to the speakers that doesn't go through the power amp.

Most powered mixers, however, do include line level outputs. Older ones have 1/4"TS line level outputs. Newer ones usually have male XLR line level outputs. They do this so you can use a mix of powered and unpowered speakers, or so you can run output to mid-hall speakers with a line-level delay in the middle, etc.

So, if you really like the mixer and you don't mind lugging the extra weight (powered mixers are much heavier than line-level mixers), you can keep the mixer you've got, if it has line-level outputs, and use the Expos. You can even keep your unpowered speakers and use them all together.

Or, you can get a smaller, lighter line-level mixer when you get your Expos and leave your whole old system behind. All it takes is money, right?