It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender Expo vs. Bose L1
Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:47 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I don't have either system, so I can't tell you if one sounds better than the other. Frankly, I'd expect the Fender to sound more balanced because it probably has bigger bass speakers, though with two 6.5" "sub-woofers", there may very well still not be a lot to brag about in the bass. But for bass-lite settings, this is probably a great speaker array: Very portable, and probably very clear-sounding.

The Bose L1 created its own category of sound system. Put one of these behind you, and it's like you've suddenly become your own sound source. It's just you, only louder. In theory.

The good news is, great treble distribution. Bose has always been good at this. Their distinctive sound is very crisp and clear. And the bass sucks. But it's SOO crisp and clear.

The bad news is that it has one mono input, and it is designed to be a closed system. If you want to double your power, you get two of these systems and put them side by side. Each is mono and exclusive of the other. Each is an acoustic island. And each is, by design, ideally just for one musician. You kinda sorta can add people together with an expensive external, proprietary device from Bose, but that device has four inputs, which is not a lot for a system with a "2" before the comma in its price.

The Fender Expo, by contrast, has two "Combo" inputs and two XLR outputs. Whatever the sound quality (and it's probably at least as good as the Bose or they wouldn't be selling these things), the system is more expandable. Buy one to start off. Mono. Get a standard external, line-level mixer and your whole band can use it. If the band gets bigger, you can get a bigger mixer for more inputs and still use the Expo.

Want stereo, or want more volume? Buy two Expos. Plug one Expo into each of your mixer's stereo output channels. Need more volume? Buy a third Expo and put it in the middle. Run your left and right channel inputs into it, and run your left output channel from the middle Expo to an input on the left Expo and run the right output from your middle Expo to the right Expo. Now, the center speaker is mono, and the two outside speakers give you stereo definition.

You can continue to add more Expos, either an even number strung in a series out from one of your mixer's two stereo output channels, or an odd number with both channels going to your middle speaker and the others strung out in a sequence to each side.

All it takes is money. But at least, it's a system that can grow with your needs, unlike the Bose, which hits a wall once you have one L1 per musician. It just can't get louder after that.

Unless there's something I'm not understanding about these units...

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Fender Expo vs. Bose L1
Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:46 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Okay, I read the Bose manual and I was a little harsh. There are degrees to which the Bose can be interlinked, but it's all done in ways that are not very conventional in terms of PA systems. It's simply odd. The small mixer/effects unit which is proprietary to the system and retails for $500 has an interface like a digital watch: Lots of things to adjust through not very many dedicated buttons, and an LED screen that doesn't tell you much at one time.

Fender connects with other hardware in more standard ways. You can use anybody's line-level mixer and connect with XLR cables, which can't be mistaken for passive speaker cables. The interconnection of multiple units is obvious and simple.

I'm glad that Fender is taking the cool parts of the Bose design idea and giving it a more open, conventional interface. My sound system is designed around the Passport. If I were starting over, I'm not sure. I'd have to listen to the Expo. I'd probably still pick the Passport, unless I already had a line-level mixer, at which point I might lean toward the Expo, if it sounds good enough.

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:39 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

I'm hip to the compactness and monitorless freedom. About the same price as a Passport 500 Pro. Still need a decent mixer with FX, and for me two of the Expo units should do. Now just where did I put that spare three grand??? :lol:

2018 Rumble Studio 40 Combo
2016 Rumble 200 Combo
One day they shall name a GREAT city after me, and they shall call it LINNINGRAD

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:12 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

linnin wrote:
I'm hip to the compactness and monitorless freedom. About the same price as a Passport 500 Pro. Still need a decent mixer with FX, and for me two of the Expo units should do. Now just where did I put that spare three grand??? :lol:

You need to do some extra shopping online. I got my Expo at a good price being it was "open box." Same warranty as new but almost $200 less then my 3 bandmates paid for the other two systems.

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:13 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

So glad there is a dedicated section for the Expo. I am a current owner of one.
I have also been a Bose L1 user for several years now. I own a Bose Compact and a Bose L1 Model II with 2 B1's. I have posted a similar post here on the forum but feel this topic belongs here.
I would feel safe to compare the Fender Expo to the Bose L1 Model 1S with 1 B1, maybe 2, but not sure about that. I have compared the Expo to my L1 Model II with 2 B1's and the Expo fell short. The Model 1S with 1 B1 comes in at $1800.00. Quite a savings between the Expo and 1S. Bose quality has stood the test of time with me so far, I can't say the same about the Expo yet. I trust Fender's support is grand though.
I love the Expo so far. Set up is as easy as it can get, better than the Bose. Each have their place, depending on the size of the venue, type of band and what not.
Those that are in the market for a compact mixer, I will say the Bose T1 is unbelievable. Dedicated effects and instrument presets for each channel. If you have never heard or seen one, I highly recomend it. It brings my Expo to life.
If anybody has any questions about any of these units, I will do my best to answer them. I do not know technical specs and what not.

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:26 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Oh, I also want to stress that my Model II with two B1's comes in at $3300.00. Major difference. I found it lacking with only one B1 and the second is completely necessary to me. Some may be ok with it.
I have been using the Expo now for my Karaoke setup for over a month now. While it does not perform as well as my Model II, it gets the job done and makes set up and break down much easier. It handles crowds of up to 100, and this is in a rowdy place, mind you. I would feel comfortable with it, if there was over 100.
I used my Expo to supplement my L1 at a Bar & Grill that my three piece band played at. It is an L shaped bar, so I pointed the Expo down towards the one section. I guess I can share this. Here is a video of us, and what you will be hearing is mostly the L1 because that is the section where my friend is seated. I gave my friend my recorder and asked him to record the band and this is what I got. Just to let you know my three piece are mainly amateurs at best, so please be kind. Hey, we are making a few bucks and having some fun. My friend with the camera is obviously drunk and this what came out. This is during Tip-Up, a big winter fest deal for us, where I live.
http://youtu.be/nnmYhUKKmbg

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:32 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I guess I should of stated this as well. Three vocal mics and the kick through the T1 mixer into the L1. I have a dedicated data cable between the T1 and the Bose. I used the main out of the T1 into the Expo. TRS connection. Guitar player is playing through a Fender Champ and my bass is going into a Carvin MB12.

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:42 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Here is a picture of the place we were at to give you an idea of size and number of people.