It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Broken unit?
Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:49 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello,

My expo is producing a hissing hissing noise when plugging in my Nord keyboard (or any other instrument for that sake). The hissing sound isn't as audible when playing music from the mp3 connector.

Is this normal or do I have something like a broken speaker cone?

Anyways, do you manage to plug in your stagepianos directly to the line in? I get a awfully low signal...

Thanks

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Broken unit?
Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:08 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

The Expo is designed to take input from a mixer, not directly from an instrument. The signal from your instrument is weak, so you are cranking the Expo up loud enough to compensate, and that gives you a bad signal to noise ratio. In other words, you tend to hear hiss or hum. You'll get less of that if you run through a mixer, or at least a preamp to make the signal louder going into the Expo.

Basically, the Expo is not an instrument amp, like a keyboard amp or a guitar amp. It's an "active speaker" or "powered speaker". All preamplification should be handled by a mixer.

Post subject: Re: Broken unit?
Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:15 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Have you shown your broken unit to an expert? They are the one who will be able to understand your problem better and will come with the good solution. Read more about it and take the useful reference about the different musical instruments!