It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender Expo as amp for upright bass
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:09 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Just a note: I purchased a Fender Expo to use as a small PA. It works very nicely. Here's one of the things I found though; I'm an upright bass player so I played around to see how well the Expo might be as an amp for my upright. Now, I can't just run straight into it. I purchased bass pre-amp and a small mixer to feed my signal into the Expo. The result is fantastic. It's a bit of set-up for gigs (not as easy as a regular bass amp), but the sound is impressive. I've received lots of great feedback.
Fender, you should build in an interface and sell these things as fantastic acoustic amps. Thanks for the great product (at a great price too)!

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Fender Expo as amp for upright bass
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:21 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

IMO be careful to drive a bass direct on amp without speaker built for bass, you may damaged them.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:35 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I hear ya. It is a PA though so it should be OK. I'm also not driving it crazy hard. When I need to really pound it (e.g. I also play rockabilly) I use a very large dedicated bass amp. Fender folks, please feel free to comment.

Et, votre anglais et mieux que mon français. Salut!

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:40 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

bassmanrob wrote:
I hear ya. It is a PA though so it should be OK. I'm also not driving it crazy hard. When I need to really pound it (e.g. I also play rockabilly) I use a very large dedicated bass amp. Fender folks, please feel free to comment.

Et, votre anglais et mieux que mon français. Salut!

Salut et bonne soirée :)

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:34 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

In the past, I used a subwoofer to boost the bass for my pair of Fender Expos. I already had the subwoofer when I got the Expos. At an event, I played around with it, listening and walking and listening and walking, and I started turning the subwoofer lower and lower and finally turned it off. I sold the subwoofer.

Those tiny subwoofers in the Expo magically produce plenty of bass sound, and the towers will bring out the acoustic sound of your stand-up bass really well, overtones intact. Bass amps are really designed for electric bass, which is not the same sound as acoustic bass. I can see why you'd prefer the Expo to an electric bass amp.

The low bass tones are omnidirectional with any system, but with the Expo, the mid and treble sounds will get as much dispersion as the bass. And to top it off, most electric bass amps are heavier to haul around than the Expo.

My one bit of advice is that if you got the carrying case for the tower and noticed that it seems really heavy at one end, that's because the manufacturer put the internal pads for the mounting spikes at the wrong end. I went to a tailor who also does leather work, so he's got a heavy duty sewing machine. He moved the pads to the other end.

Now, the towers are a joy to carry. They balance perfectly, since the handles are closer to the heavy end (instead of closer to the light end).

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:34 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Now that I have a Mackie mixing board again, I've been thrilled to have my Expo's behind us again, no monitors, life is great.

But we do add a subwoofer to get that "punch" on the low end. Again, I am a novice compared to many users on here, like ContraCaller, but I was never able to duplicate that "punch" with the Expo's. The bass could be heard but just missed that thump. We have a small 500w Behringer that has performed very well with the Expo's. It made a HUGE difference for us in the 3 piece acoustic group where we have a cajon and not drums.