It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Peace at last
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:36 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

My problem has been that I do sound for contra dances. There's a caller, which the band doesn't want to hear, but the dancers NEED to hear clearly. The Expos are great, in front of the speakers, but they also project a lot of sound out of the back, giving the band too much of the caller's voice. The musicians $@!&* and moan.

After going to extremes to unsuccessfully attempt to insulate the backs of my Expo towers from the band so they can listen to a different monitor mix without too much sound from the Expos, I've given up in favor of simply putting them as far away from the stage as possible. If there's a proscenium, I put them to the sides, outside the proscenium, letting the room isolate the speakers from the stage. Otherwise, I use 50' cables and put the speakers mid-hall with one cheated toward the stage and one cheated away from it, diagonally across the room, so the room is full of sound without a big hot spot in the middle.

This way, the proximity contrast with the monitors makes the musicians happy because they can hear themselves well, and the caller's voice is clearly coming from somewhere else, and they can deal with it. They even remark that they love how clearly they hear themselves.

I think the biggest gripe has been because behind the Expos, they get a lot of sound, both caller and band, but it is indistinct because they are not hearing the tweeter, but they are getting a lot of mid-range sound, combining with the monitors to be loud with the midrange excessively boosted, to the detriment of the highs they need for clarity. Even at a distance, the highs from the Expos help them hear themselves better. Add that the overall sound level on the stage can be lower because the monitors aren't competing with the Expos.

High volume on stage without those tweeters makes the stage sound muddy. Adding distance and aiming one of them toward the stage takes care of all that.

They really are great speakers. I can finally celebrate that without compromise.

Fender Play December 2018
Post subject: Re: Peace at last
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:38 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Quote:
They really are great speakers. I can finally celebrate that without compromise.

You really have been put through the wringer haven't you? Glad to hear you've brainstormed an outstanding solution. KUDOS To You!

2018 Rumble Studio 40 Combo
2016 Rumble 200 Combo
One day they shall name a GREAT city after me, and they shall call it LINNINGRAD

Post subject: Re: Peace at last
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:38 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

a lot of people just accept these limitations. Good job figuring out something that works for everyone. :mrgreen: