It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Hi All
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:13 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi All, I am new here..... I have been playing guitar since I was 13 and that makes it 50 years now.

I saw my first Strat hanging in a second hand shop window of my home town in England in 1970 and fell in love with it. They wanted 200 quid for it - way above my price range!

I bought my first Strat - a well used CBS era swamp ash hardtail, from a music store in Pascagoula MS for $400 in 1993. That guitar ended up lost in New York Harbour (long story), however, it was insured through my employers and I put the money towards a US Standard model - (swamp ash, maple, sperzels, lace pups, wilkinson roller nut - a lovely guitar) and that has been my go-to guitar for gigging ever since then. The design of the strat is just perfect - controls right under your fingers, the shape, weight and balance are just right, the 5 way switch gives you so many tone options on it's own.

I noticed that tuning was becoming a problem with even mild vibrato arm use and I read that the Wilkinson nuts were likely to blame. I stripped it down, cleaned it and could see the brass body of the nut was worn and this was sticking the rollers. So I ordered a LSR ball bearing nut. Seems you need a #51 drill to get the correct sized holes. Numbered drills aren't used in Spain, where I live now - nothing but blank looks at the hardware stores - a 1.702mm drill? Even a local luthier suggested drilling oversize and using super glue. No chance. So I made one - I have a small lathe and a dremel and a vernier caliper and I ground down a 2.0 mm drill to 1.7 and a gnat's whisker and it worked fine. Nut installed, guitar back together - tuning back to normal again - whammy - back to what it was.!

So what's my point? Replacing a Wilkinson roller nut with the new LSR nut is a piece of cake - anyone can do it. If you have the right drill. A #51 drill must cost around a dollar in bulk - why not put one in each packet as part of the install kit? I wouldn't mind paying a bit more to have everything I needed to do the job without fannying about shops and internet sites for the right tool.

At my age, I've had all the guitars I ever wanted, I have everything I need to keep playing with my band and I don't really need anything else, ,,,,,, except maybe a rosewood board Strat - and I really liked that CBS Strat - you kinda fall in love with your first real girlfriend and I'd like to find another like it , and I had a hankering for a sunburst Strat for the formal wedding gigs and something really Rory Gallagher beat up for down beat rocking blues....

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Hi All
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:30 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Hi GraemeSPa, cool first post, welcome to the forum.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:35 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

sjlen wrote:
Hi GraemeSPa, cool first post, welcome to the forum.

+100 8) enjoy

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:05 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Welcome, GraemeSPa. Loved the story. That’s not the only poor body that ended up in the harbour from some mysterious deed. :shock: It wasn’t in a Caddy trunk was it? (sic)

Badabing Badaboom!
Good to have ya here.

FSB

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:00 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

hi everyone. welcome to forum site.
ISO 22000 Certification in Australia