It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Been too long
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:22 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I stopped playing years ago. Traded my 69 Tele for a Strat. Bought 2 more (all USA back then- and a Tele Bass, one of few made) Sold my 3 USA Stratocasters, bought a G&L F100 somewhere in there, later picked up a HM Strat. Gave the 81 G&L to my grand daughter this year, but now I am compelled to start playing again. I was a good player...once a long time ago. Now, I want to relearn the songs I used to play the right way. With youtube and so many videos out there, that shouldn't be too hard. I just picked up a Fender Mustang lll amp and I can't believe what that amp can do. I still have the HM Strat and a custom hand made neck through tele style guitar. Both play great, but wish I had kept my strats from the 70's and especially the telecaster bass which I had ordered special back (I think) around 1981. That is my worse regret...selling it. I know what they are worth if you can even find one now. Anyway, seems the Mustang lll is a bit intimidating so it will take quite a while to learn how to use it. ThinkI'll just concentrate on re-learning leads (and rhythms)for now.

Fender Play December 2018
Post subject: Re: Been too long
Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:49 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Welcome to the Forum(s), bf1024.

I know what it is to look at things that were and now have unexpected value and emotions. Nice that you had those experiences though. I think you will enjoy the Mustang 3 even better when you tweak it to your preference.

It sure is different to learn guitar today compared to yesteryear. Lucky kids, huh? Lucky old timers too. :lol:
Enjoy! :D
FSB

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:55 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Welcome to the Forum bf1024

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:05 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks, great to be here. Spent 10 hours July 4th playing on my HM Strat and my Mustang 3 amp....did I mention I love that amp? With 100 presets, the sounds I can get out are incredible. Just downloaded FUSE and AUDACITY so I can record a backup track then play leads over it. Where was this technology 50 years ago when I started playing at 12? How easy it would have been. Anyway after 10 hours and several Coronas, I actually started sounding good again (must have been the beers or the amp). With you tube, I was able to find some missing parts on my leads from artists like Lynard Skynard (Tuesdays Gone, etc). Plus..a few guys I work with also jam every now and then and invited me to play. I think before I do that (their band mates are snowbirds and are up north until September- we're in Florida), I will be re-learning many of the song I thought I knew...the right way. They don't have a lead guitar player yet. I think I'll be able to blow their minds by September. KUDOS to Fender (and you guys for the support). Can't wait to try the amp connected to my laptop tolay down some tracks.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:30 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Hi bf1024, welcome to the forum.

I've never sold one of my guitars, it would be like loosing a limb. :D
I just hord them, I've got too many but can't bring myself to get rid of any of them. In fact my fingers are feeling a bit itchy because I haven't bought a guitar for so long. It's all GAS.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:59 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

bf1024 wrote:
. . . Where was this technology 50 years ago when I started playing at 12? How easy it would have been. Anyway after 10 hours and several Coronas, I actually started sounding good again . . .
Betcha you didn’t have Coronas when you were 12 either. I would have sounded awesome if I had those brewskies when I was 12; although, my kid brother and I stumbled upon the wrong apple cider that Dad mistakenly had bought for us during the festive season. Boy! Did Mom ever sing a song to him. :lol:
FSB