It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Muted Strings - Re-Beginner
Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:01 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I'm using Fender Play and 1 of it's competitors to learn, starting from lesson 1. 20 years or so ago I played around some with basic chords and riffs but this is my first serious attempt to really stick with it.

As I'm going through the lessons, the chords surprisingly are coming back much faster than 1st time around. However, on both guitars I have (1965 Fender Mustang and modern GLP) I have some issues with muted strings.

My question is this. Should I continue progressing in the lessons despite inconsistency with muted strings, counting on repeated use and practice to help resolve the issue? Or, continue playing current lessons on basic chords and exercises until it's no longer an issue at least X% of the time?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Muted Strings - Re-Beginner
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:02 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

My advise it to determine where and how you are unintentionally muting the strings and correct it.
Learn to play your lesson cleanly (not muddy, no unintended mutes) and then move on.
It should only slow you down in the beginning.
Once you get used to playing cleanly you will carry your good habits forward with you through the lessons.
Making bad habits now and pressing forward without correcting them only leads to frustration down the road.

My two cents.

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:09 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Welcome to the forums, sdiver68. I agree with BMW-KTM but I have one thing to add. I wouldn't worry about the tempo too much. What I mean is, if your exercise is at 120bpm but you can play it cleanly at 100bpm I think that's good enough to move on. As long as you are playing cleanly. Have fun!

Remember the music is not in the guitar

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:46 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Marky Forrest wrote:
Welcome to the forums, sdiver68. I agree with BMW-KTM but I have one thing to add. I wouldn't worry about the tempo too much. What I mean is, if your exercise is at 120bpm but you can play it cleanly at 100bpm I think that's good enough to move on. As long as you are playing cleanly. Have fun!

+1

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:25 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

BMW-KTM wrote:
. . . Making bad habits now and pressing forward without correcting them only leads to frustration down the road.

My two cents.
You said it brother. I’ve been on that road. Keep at it sdiver68, and you’ll soon be muting strings when you want to. :wink:
FSB
Welcome.

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:30 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I can boil it down to a single thing one of my instructors told me that always stuck with me:

"Slow and clean is ALWAYS better than fast and sloppy".