It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: HOME RECORDINGS OF GUITAR AND BACKING TRACKS
Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:53 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi, I play Hank Marvin style tunes on my Fender Squier Stratocaster Affinity using a 20 watt Sound King amplifier model SKAK20RA. I use backing tracks which are on my desktop computer running Windows XP and using the windows media player. I record myself and the backing track together using Sound Forge Audio Studio 9-0 and the sound of the backing tracks and my guitar playing comes through my amplifier speaker whilst recording and playback of the recordings also comes through my amplifier speaker. I achieve this by plugging my computer cables that are plugged into the back of my desk top computer into the effects loop sockets (send & return) The recorded sound is pretty good even if I say so myself!!! Since I have upgraded my Squier Strat to improve my sound I thought I would upgrade my amplifier to improve my sound even further as a lot of experts
say that and average guitar sound can be improved by getting a better amp. So I bought a Boss Katana 100 amp which had the effects loop on the back and I thought I could just plug in my computer leads in to the send and return sockets just like my Sound King and play and record just like before but alas no as the sound from the Boss amp when I plugged the computer leads into the effects loop was cut dramatically and didn't sound normal. I was confused and disappointed and sent the amplifier back.
My questions are -: A) Why did that happen with the Boss amp nobody I ask can explain it to me and nobody understands how my recording set up as described above works!! B) Is there an amplifier out there that anybody could recommend that would record and playback through the amp as above using the effects loop and that would be an improvement on my current amp and overall sound.
I am 71 years of age and not too tech savi...I have watched many hours of you tube showing how to record your guitar playing using a guitar recording interface such as Audient SONO but it would involve getting a set of decent speakers for my laptop for playback and learning new software. I also don't know how the backing tracks would play and record. I would prefer to stay with what I have but with a better amp!!!! I hope someone can help!!!
Cheers
Dave D

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: HOME RECORDINGS OF GUITAR AND BACKING TRACKS
Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:54 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Fender Mustang GT.

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:10 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

To tell you the truth, I have read your post twice and I still can't make good sense of what you have connected together and why.
It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that the folks at Roland/BOSS are confused as well.

What I THINK you are saying is that you use the amp loop send as an audio source which you send to the computer and that the computer sends signal to the amp via the loop return.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.
The input to the computer is one of the things that puzzles me.
Amoung other things of course like how levelling is done.

I can tell you this much; many years ago I thought I'd give connecting a guitar to a computer a try.
I was bound and determined to figure out a way to do it without having to spend money on an interface and a set of monitors.
I tried a lot of things and could write a couple of paragraphs detailing my failures.
In the end I bought an interface and a set of monitors and a decent DAW program.
Even having appropriate gear in place, recording and getting good sound still turned out to be a challenge and all these years later I am still learning how to get good sound.

How you've managed to record anything at all using the MacGyver approach with a bobby pin and a twist tie is amazing.
If you do figure it out please come back and tell us all about it.
I for one would be keen to hear about it and I'm sure others would be as well.

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:00 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi Thanks for reading my message about my recording direct through the effects loop on my amp. Yes I have recorded loads of tunes and created about 7 CD'S I send them to my 2 brothers, as I said in my original message the recordings sound pretty good so I have no problem with the way I record I just want to improve my sound by getting a better amp but still need to record not just play. I can send you a CD if you want to hear what I sound like as it sound as though you think that my method of recording is pretty rank...I can assure you it is not!! I just cannot understand why this method of recording i.e. via the amp's effects loop is not widely known or accepted. I look forward to your reply and comments and also if you know of an amp that will record via its effects loop!!

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:50 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

It is probably not widely known and accepted because there is a better way; ie: the way of the interface and monitor system.
Unfortunately, if you are determined to continue to use non-conventional methods then I have to say I am probably not the best man to advise you.
Hopefully someone else can chime in with something a little more encouraging for you.

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:13 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

The effects loop in the Katana is not designed to carry line level signal.
It's designed to operate with much lower signal levels ie. it's intended to have pedal effects in it.

Take your computer send to the aux input, and connect the amp line level back out to your recorder.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:06 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks Rock star for your responses I appreciate them.
In answer to a suggestion from Chris, I haven,t got the Boss Katana amp any more I sent it back!! but thanks for explaining why it didn't work for my recording method. Plus I didn't understand what you said about the re routing of the wires to amp and computer....sorry!!

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:22 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

FYI, our handles are in bold font at the top of our posts and to the left of the subject line.
My handle (username) is BMW-KTM
Rock Star is my forum "level" here on this site.
There are lots of Rock Stars here.
It is based on the number of posts I have made on this site.
Since you are new and don't have many posts your level is Hobbyist.
There are lots of Hobbyists here as well.
The number of red picks on your avatar are also an indication of post count level.
I will be monitoring this thread because I am curious to see if there is a solution.

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:40 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for that info BMW-KTM much appreciated. Cheers

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:20 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

The Katana does have a low level loop voltage. At -10dBu, that is very low.
The Sound King probably has a higher loop level.
Any amp you get will be variable in levels from the loop.

The computer has +4dBu line inputs. The mic input is much more sensitive.

The key here is to be able to adjust the computer record and playback levels.
In XP, go to your Control Panel and pick Sounds and Audio Devices.
Click on Audio. This will show the playback and record devices chosen.
Click on Record Volume to show the record options. This gives the record levels of the different inputs.
There is a box at the bottom to select the record input that is active.
In the Advanced menu, there is the option to turn off the internal laptop mic.
Use the line or mic input levels to match what is coming out of the amp's loop.

Then do the same for the playback levels.

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:11 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi Tims Audio....I checked my settings and can tell you that the box ticked in the record levels section is "WAVE OUT MIX" In the playback levels section the only option is to mute which I haven't. I am not using a microphone.
Cheers.