It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Capacitors
Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:26 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi, I'm playing with capacitors to see which one, or combo, gives me the sound I like best. I found some sites explaining the basics of what capacitors are doing, so that's ok. What I am looking for is (assuming SSS gen 4 noiseless on one guitar, and SSS custom shop Tx Specials on the other):
1) What do the numbers do in terms of sound? Ie, the higher the number, __________ happens to sound.

2) Which capacitors are used on some classic bluesy sounds (SRV, Clapton are the main 2...this relates to next question too--what are some great setups in terms on single capacitor vs multiple)?

3) I've seen some wirings have a capacitor on each of the 2 tone pots (both .022, and other bridge pot .022, mid/neck pot a tiny round one (sorry, don't remember number), and on the HSS I built as an elite, there are 3: bridge pot .025, neck/mid .025, and from one of the posts on the superswitch-discrete .025 (this also has an s-1 volume pot)) . . . What does using capacitors on various pots do? How will one value on one pot and another on the other pot change sound (I think I understand this since it's just different pickups, but thought I'd ask in case there's some subtle change).

4) I have also seen capacitors wired to outside posts, and some others wired to the wiper. What does that do?

Sorry for all the questions in one place. I cannot seem to find the answers after searching, and it may be that I am using some wrong terms.

Thanks in advance!
Jon

Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: Capacitors
Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:33 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Some answer here.

Scroll to Bypass capacitors

http://www.bustedgear.com/faq_Amp_recap.html

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:04 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks @stratele52

That seems to be more about amps than guitars, but I think it is explaining some of how things work in terms of tone in general, which gets me in the right direction.

J

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:22 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Capacitor do the same job on guitar and amp.

I thought you were also talking about amps when you mention "classic bluesy sounds (SRV, Clapton ..)
Their sound is not just guitar, oh no, a lot more from the amp and their fingers.

Guitar might be 25% of the tone.

4) I have also seen capacitors wired to outside posts, and some others wired to the wiper. What does that do?

Treble bleed capacitor ; these capacitor pass frequencies (clear) regardless of the position of the pot.

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:50 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

@stratele52

Oh, yes, I agree on the majority being in amp and fingers. I watched a video of Joe Satriani playing on a very cheap guitar and it sounded freaking amazing!

I'm more looking for learning about that 25% in the guitar . .. I'm not nearly ready to start opening up amps.

Hoping for some wiring diagram examples of different options, or a website that may have this kind of thing.

J

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:42 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

In a guitar, capacitor is use on tone control only.

Capacitor send some frequency ( mostly high ) to ground. These frequency never go to the amp.
That is why using ton pot you hear less high.

Other value of the cap will send different frequency to ground.

The value used on your guitar is the best one.
If you don't use tone pot, If you keep it at 10, capacitor is out of circuit.

Guitar wirings

Scroll down here : Customer Service , Support , Wiring Diagram

Also

https://guitarelectronics.com/guitar-wiring-resources/

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:25 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

@stratele52

THAT bottom link is perfect!! Thank you! I can quickly look at all strat wirings (and more) and know exactly what I need! Haven't even dug into a lot of the other pages though.

I think that is what I was looking for. Now I just start experimenting. You may have addressed this above (I cannot see those when replying), but what is the difference between connecting a capacitor to the wiper and ground of tone pots vs to an outer lug of pot and ground? I'll look in that site as well.

J

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:13 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

On wiper lug pot give you control of tone .
On outer lug pot don't

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:35 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

@stratele52
Please forgive my ignorance. The wiper connection makes sense. . . but what does connecting to outer lug control or change? I'm guessing there is a reason for connecting to outer lug, and it sounds like it isn't to alter tone?

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:54 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Tone capacitor to the outer lug is like you if put Tone pot to 10 ; no capacitor in circuit

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:22 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

There's a misunderstanding of what's being described/asked.

The cap can be between the switch and center lug, with the outer lug going to ground.

Or, a wire can go from the switch to the center lug, with one end of the cap connected to the other lug and the other end of the cap connected to ground.

(I say the "other lug" because some tone pots only have two lugs -- on normal pots with 3 lugs, one is left empty for tone control wiring.)

Electrically and tonally, cap before pot and cap after pot are the same. The choice is based on convenience -- size of cap, length of cap's leads.

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:23 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

I agree, the terms here might be confused.
Now, I borrowed this pic from https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... a-tone-pot
Hope this clarifies something, the cap is functional in all three versions:

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:16 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Good illustration.
And electrically, there is no difference between the Modern and 60s wiring, it is still a resistor in series with the capacitor.

For the numbers on the capacitor, the larger number will bleed off the treble faster. Most common today is .022mfd. In the 70s, .047 was common, and some vintage Strats have been as high as .1.
The value of the volume and tone pots work together with the value of the capacitor to determine the curve of the tone control.
A higher value capacitor will roll off the highs more quickly, but a 500k pot will slow that down and give you more precise control over your tone level.
If you are someone who runs all of the knobs on "10", then the tone circuit has little impact.

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:05 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

This is all extremely helpful! Thank y'all!!

Jon