It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: having an interesting problem with my stratocaster
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:06 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have an American Special Stratocaster ( with texas pickups & a humbucker = HSS )
a short time ago I started noticing that my B & E strings didn’t have the volume of the rest of my strings.
so I unplugged my effects and plugged right into the amp I got the same results but some what more noticeable.
at this point I thought is might be the amp so I unplugged my strat and got out my less paul and it worked fine through the amp.
I have never heard of this problem before? I am thinking that something in the wiring might be the problem?
DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEAS OF THAT THIS MIGHT BE??

Thank You

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: having an interesting problem with my stratocaster
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Welcome to the Forum jadm. First thought is pickup height adjustment. If that doesn't fix the issue let us know.

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:43 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Just trying to think on it a bit.... one thing that comes to mind is bridge saddle adjustment. Are all string heights adjusted such that the "curve" follows the fretboard radius? I am just thinking that, if those strings are a bit high it could present with a bit weaker signal on all pickups. Perhaps a bit of tweaking here...? Just a thought.

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:26 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Pickup height can be key.
The B and E, particularly light gauge strings often used by beginners, lack the output of the heavier, and particularly wound strings.
For the Texas Specials, the string clearance on the bass side of the pickup should be 1/8" (8/64" or 3.6mm) and on the treble side, 3/16" (6/64" or 2.4mm).
The Texas Specials are pretty hot, so need to run a but lower than standard single coils.
Check that your pickups are a little higher on the treble end.

The middle and neck already have staggered pole pieces, but the poles on the humbucker may need to be raised on the two middle strings if their output seems low... it's probably fine, as that heavy unwound G tends to cut through.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:07 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

So.
I went to my guitar tech a few days ago, he went right to the issue that the stringss might be too old ( this is a fender service tech) I rejected the string theory, so he played the guitar and though he did find the problem
he was down playing it.
I also asked him about the D&G poles being so high (when picking or strumming I catch the tip of the pick on these poles ) I have owned strats before and played dozens that belong to other people and I had never encountered this problem. my tech told me that most players ditch the middle pickup because it gets in their way. (?? I’m not buying this solution) this is a fender authorized service dealer telling me this!!! :shock:
so my guitar is still under warranty, he took it in and will go over it.

and I think in the mean time I will look for another guitar tech

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:23 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The only player I'm aware of who routinely "ditched" the middle pickup on his Strat was Ritchie Blackmore and I'm not even certain that he's still playing guitar anymore.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:21 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Retroverbial wrote:
The only player I'm aware of who routinely "ditched" the middle pickup on his Strat was Ritchie Blackmore and I'm not even certain that he's still playing guitar anymore.

And Yngwie
Though I think he just decks his on the plate and doesn't actually disconnect it.

And just because a dealer is "Fender Authorized" doesn't mean they are good. All it means is they are a dealer and pay licensing to Fender to have the sign. There are plenty of hacks working on guitars.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:37 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

CB91710 wrote:
There are plenty of hacks working on guitars.

And amps.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:55 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I use super slinky 9/42, always have and never had a problem. I am considering the idea of getting
the fender noiseless ( they make a hot version) but I would like to try to “fix what I have now” before throwing money at the problem.

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:21 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

but one question I do have is , I have been told that I might resolve my problems if I switched to ( fender hot noiseless pickups) can any one give me an opinion on this???

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:23 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

jadm wrote:
but one question I do have is , I have been told that I might resolve my problems if I switched to ( fender hot noiseless pickups) can any one give me an opinion on this???

That may or may not resolve your particular "issue", but it is not in and of itself a solution.
The problem lies in the setup, strings, or saddles.
There are tens of thousands (maybe millions) of Stratocasters without noiseless pickups that work perfectly fine.