It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Using Twin Reverb with an attenuator
Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:35 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

So I realize this is a pretty stupid question, but I've had a fender twin for years and have just moved to a place where I can't turn up the volume, so I'm new to this. I got an attenuator/load box (River Mini Rockrec) but cant seem to get it to work with the amp. (Headphones, recording and all that are easy with the thing)

I know it's something stupid I'm doing with how I am plugging things in, but any direction here would help - what should be plugged in where? I want to get the sound attenuated coming out of the amplifier itself

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Using Twin Reverb with an attenuator
Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:18 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Welcome to the Forum jacman227!

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:52 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

The Rivera Mini Rockrec isn't an attenuator.

It's a loadbox with an emulated-speaker output. Its sole purpose is silent recording/headphone use.

A "loadbox" absorbs all of the power that normally goes to the speaker. You don't even need to have a speaker connected to the amp.

Most attenuators are also loadboxes -- if you turn the attenuator knob all the way down. So you may have seen products labeled as "attenuator/loadbox". But those aren't synonyms for the same function -- they're telling you those devices can serve two separate functions. They're attenuators that can also function as loadboxes.

You'll have to return it and get something else if you also need the attenuator function.
------------------
Rivera's Rock Crusher is a highly regarded attenuator/loadbox. But it doesn't have a cab-emulated out, nor a headphone out.

Other brands have models that combine all the functions.

Note: headphones usually don't sound great without cab emulation. (Guitar speakers can't reproduce the highest frequencies coming out of the amp/attenuator/loadbox, but headphones can -- so the sound is harsh and super bright.)

Some attenuators have headphone jacks but without cab emulation.

So make a list of what functions you need, then read the product specs carefully.

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:53 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

This is a good choice.
It lacks a headphone jack but it does have a DI out for recording.
It also sounds quite good.

Tone King IronMan II