It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Telecaster Noiseless Vintage Pickups DOA
Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:26 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

So I'm just wondering whether my case is normal or not. I've been trying to order Vintage Noiseless Pickups for my MIM Telecaster. The funny thing is that when I've ordered from ebay, The neck has has arrived DOA twice, and it turned out the guy's stock was all registering at infinity. So then I ordered from Amazon, then BOTH pickups were at infinity. That's three in a row that have been dead, and I haven't even installed them. Just tested them out of the box. And my multimeter is not broken because my old pickups are the correct impedance. Is this common?

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Telecaster Noiseless Vintage Pickups DOA
Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:08 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Mine worked fine out of the box.
Have you actually connected them and tried them?

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:01 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Yeah, I did connect the first one and it didn't work. That's when I took the multimeter to it. Did you bother measuring yours when it arrived? And if you did, how close does the impedance match the specs on the box?

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:41 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I did not check mine.
I hooked them up and plugged into test... pretty quiet, but a horrible buzz when I touched ground.
Disconnected the bridge ground, strung it up, and had "normal" single coil buzz that of course, did not go away when I touched the strings... but then when I touched the control plate, it DID get quiet.
WTH? Popped the bridge and reconnected the bridge ground, everything was working perfectly.

I'll try to remember to check mine on a meter this weekend... but they will be in-circuit.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:11 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Vintage Noiseless have a reputation as being slightly more delicate/fragile than most pickups.

But DOA is super uncommon, and multiple DOA's is definitely abnormal.

Manufacturing flaws often occur in a particular batch, rather than being endemic to the design. The soldering guy that came in hungover one Monday does subpar work that morning, but his normal work is fine.

Bad solder joints often work fine initially, for a while. It usually takes vibration, thermal cycling, and/or oxidation to break the connection. So they may have tested fine before getting packed into boxes and shipped across the stormy seas.

The logistics of parts like these is that if he/she made 10 bad sets on a row, they'd all get put in a container next to each other, then put in a warehouse. Then when a dealer orders 3 sets, they could all be from that bad group of 10.

VN's have been popular for over a decade, with no reputation for excessive DOA (dead pickups of all types sometimes happen). So you've had incredibly bad luck. Getting one bad pickup one time is uncommon, but it happens. Getting several bad pickups in a row is freakish.

No recourse other than exchange or refund unfortunately. It's pretty much "act of God" category.

But there's that guy who got struck by lightning 3 times in 1 year. Dead pickups suck, but as random bad luck goes, it could always be worse.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I just checked my Tele VN set (in the guitar)
Bridge - 13.3k
Both Parallel - 6.4k
Both Series - 24.65k (Baja)
Neck - 12.1k

Spec for both is 10.6, so I'm reading a little high on both pups