It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Hot Rod Deluxe IV Pre-Amp Tubes
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:23 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I recently purchased an open box Hot Rod Deluxe IV from a major online dealer. Got a great deal and a great amp.

Sometimes I am not so smart, so I am asking for help. I took the pre-amp tubes out thinking that all the tubes would be the same (as per the tube chart). I didn't look as I was taking them out. Yes, I know it's dumb. But that is what I did. I know that the tubes will all work in any spot, but was hoping someone knows which should go where. The tubes are:

J J ECC83S/Ruby 12AX7ACZ HG
GT 12AX7-R
GT ECC83-S PREMIUM

Are these the tubes that normally come in a HRD IV? If so, which one is V1, V2, and V3.

Help appreciated

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Deluxe IV Pre-Amp Tubes
Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:24 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hi & welcome.
First, you would probably get better answers on the Modern Guitar Amplifiers (1985 - Current) section.

And I can't give you a definitely-100%-correct answer… But in the Hot Rod Dlx III the stock tubes are all Groove Tubes; V1: 12AX7-R; V2 and V3 12AX7. And AFAIK, Fender amps usually come with GT's.
That open-box could mean the original tubes had problems, or that someone tested different tubes - the Ruby is high gain, so that may give a hint.

You could start with 12AX7-R/V1, Ruby/V2, ECC83-S/V3 - but that's just a whimsical notion, I usually play amps as they come.
Anyways, there are only so many combinations with three tubes, so swap/testing them all doesn't take long.