It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Need help avoiding a muted string
Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:31 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Seeking help with Em chord. When I use fingers 1 and 2 to fret E minor, finger 1 mutes the high e string. I've had the action adjusted on my acoustic, but it didn't solve the problem. I play both electric and acoustic. Have the same problem with both my Fender Strat and Taylor six-string.

Fender Play February 2018
Post subject: Re: Need help avoiding a muted string
Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:27 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

The "usual" way to play an open E-minor is with fingers 2&3, you could try that. In addition, it simplifies the E<>Eminor change.
Pay attention to your wrist angle and thumb position.
And then it's just practice, practice, practice...

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:13 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

+1
This is a very easy chord to play. Here is a short video that may help you:

BTW - I think you mean that you are muting the low E string.
Good luck and don't give up. You'll make that chord sing out in no time. :)

Remember the music is not in the guitar

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:27 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for the suggestions. I can consistently play a perfect e minor chord using fingers 2 and 3, but that does not allow me to easily pivot to the C chord. Using fingers 1 and 2 DOES allow that pivot. But I often mute the high e--yes, the high e (first string) --with the underside of my pinkie finger. (FYI, I have long slender fingers, not the kind that should get in the way.)

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:55 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

My advise is to get used to using fingers 2&3 and then work on getting comfortable with your new transition to C.

People who choose to deviate from the standard way of fingering chords are sometimes rewarded with some kind of benefit.
It might be easy or fast or simpler.
That's only sometimes, though.
Much more often they are thwarted by their habits and are in a position of being unable to progress beyond some point until they go back and correct something and then start over from there.

In the long run it is better to learn not to take shortcuts.

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:08 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for your advice. I will switch to fingers 2 and 3.

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:18 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Weirdly enough , I have never played Em with fingers 1+2
I play a major E by playing the exact same shape as an F barre chord , just slide it down to E , lift fingers 1+ 2 then it's an easy job to change to a C
(Also easier changing from E major to A m , just move 34+5 over one string )

"All right, guys, uh, listen. This is a blues riff in "B", watch me for the changes, and try and keep up, okay?"

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:27 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I learned it with fingers 1&2 originally and switched to 2&3 (mostly). There are certain situations where the other fingering works better. Whatever the case, just keep practicing and it will fix itself.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:13 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Most often, I just use one finger for open E minor. And just two fingers for open E major. That's part of why I prefer narrow nut widths -- 1.5" is my favorite. When I've replaced nuts on wide necks, I space the slots narrower.

But in my opinion, it's a mistake to lock into only one fingering for a specific chord. You have to keep in mind the before and after. When playing a progession of chords, it can be much more fluid to use different fingerings.

You say that using the first and second finger makes the switch to/from open C major easier for you? That's fine -- use that fingering when switching from/to open C. And if a progession is more fluid if you use fingers 3&4, use that.

Regardless, as said earlier it all come down to practice, practice, practice. There are times you want all the notes to ring clearly, and there are times you want to mute individual strings. In time, that becomes automatic/subconscious. Same for fingering choices -- at first you'll have to think about it, and experiment over and over to find the fingering that works best for a particular progression. But eventually it becomes automatic.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:38 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

strayedstrater wrote:
just two fingers for open E major.

How are you doing this with 2 fingers? What is the fingering?

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:23 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

ghost_of_strings wrote:
strayedstrater wrote:
just two fingers for open E major.

How are you doing this with 2 fingers? What is the fingering?

Two different fingering options.

Index finger on the G string. Second (middle) finger -- tip on the A string, flex/roll it so it also frets the D string.

Or middle finger on the G string and ring finger fretting A&D strings.

It's very similar to using one finger to play an open A chord. Or the A chord barre shape, with index barring all 6 strings and the ring finger barring the D, G, & B strings

On the E major chord, by straightening/unrolling the finger that has its tip on the A string, I can toggle between E and E7.

On "Cat's Squirrel", you play an E chord and toggle the G string between G sharp and A. I can do that just by rolling the finger that's fretting the A&D strings a little more so it also frets the G string at the second fret.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:59 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

ok yeah that was what came to mind and it's always a tough fingering for me. My finger tips tend to lock into place when I try those fingerings.

I'm more of a lead player, so what I do a lot is drop the lowest 2 strings and play the top of the chord. Sounds great when the rhythm player or piano is covering the low notes.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:54 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Yep. While it's important to develop enough technique to sound all 6 strings cleanly and clearly, it's often/usually more musical to not play all 6.

Being able to selectively mute strings, and/or only hit 3 or 4 strings while strumming, is just as important as being able to play a 6 note chord.

Even open "cowboy chords". You don't want the low E to ring out on an open D chord. And a 6 string open C has 3 major thirds and only 1 fifth -- it's often best to leave at least one of the E's silent.

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:04 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

strayedstrater wrote:
Being able to selectively mute strings, and/or only hit 3 or 4 strings while strumming, is just as important as being able to play a 6 note chord.

Yes, I should have mentioned, the goal for a lot of players is 3 notes per chord. That's a jazz technique and it sounds great (IMO). You should be able to break down most chords to just 3 notes (triad) and let the rest of the band fill in the rest. Steely Dan were pros at this. For example, the intro to "Peg":