It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Super Champ X2 with the Eminence Lil Buddy test
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:29 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Here is a very rough test I did today to see how the X2/Lil Buddy combo recorded. I miked it up with a SM57 pointed somewhere near the rim of the speaker. I did absolutely no editing, or effecting the guitar track except I did aux send it it through the Waves IR1 reverb lightly. No EQ'ing of the guitar track, no compression none of that.

The guitar I used was an Ibanez RG321 with stock pups, the clean part is in-between the front and rear pups, each split in half, The overdrive part is straight rear humbucker full up.

I eq'd the amp as follows; Both channels Mids on 5, Trebs on 3, and bass on 3, all amp effects off. unfortunately I don't know which model I was using on the overdrives because when I carried the X2 out to the shed (or back in the house) I moved the model selector. And since I was in headphones I never noticed the difference. I usually use the Super Sonic Model, so that was probably it.

Look for Beer Thirty Blues

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music

Fender Cyber Monday 2019
Post subject: Re: Super Champ X2 with the Eminence Lil Buddy test
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:42 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I really liked the one coming out of the amp. That speaker works real well with the amp and your style. Good choice. Fine playing, BTW.

I am deciding whether to go for the Red Fang Alnico speaker. I tend to like the way they do clean and dirty. The Red Fang has a little more attitude than the Celestion Blue and Golds. The lows and highs are different too and it show on the tone graphs. If I just went with a Ragin Cajun or the WGS equivalent I could by another pedal. Hell, I could buy the 4x6 cab by seismic for 20 dollars less, but I want the right speaker to make my SCX2 as a grab and go stand alone amp. At a 102 dB rating it will sure give a big sound to the SC.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Thanks Wiz, I really did not care about the playing, I just improvised it in to see what the X2 Sounded like recorded. Later on I will redo the song with blues lyrics and short solos. I am tired of modeling per se, and am not into another modeler preamp, so I just mike up the X2 or Valve Jr from now on. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it recorded. I did absolutely nothing intricate in mike placement, and even may have recorded an overdrive sound I am not familiar with or generally use, because I moved the modeler selector switch either on the way out to the DAW or back into the house. Both sounds were from the amp into the SM57.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:51 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

OK. I have now ordered my 10" Eminence Red Fang Alnico speaker. It will ship today. It is coming from Idaho via Fed Ex. Might have it by Friday. Report then.

I read an interesting review about a RF from a Tone Quest report:
Quote:
The 50 watt Red Fang 10 transformed Jeff Bakos’ blackface Princeton into a gloriously gutsy and toneful AC15, only better, with a deeper voice welling up from the old RCA 6V6s. No, it isn’t a classic Fender sound, but an incredibly tasty and inspiring hybrid tone that just works. Nice mids, chimey treble, harmonics in spades, and enough low end to anchor your favorite 6-string chords. Mike Campbell would love it in a Princeton. You will too.

I am putting it in the Super Champ. The 10" speaker makes it Princetonish.

Last edited by modwiz on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:57 pm
Roadie
Roadie

Nice playing. That Lil Buddy sounds great. Such a pleasant speaker. I know the name is supposed to be a hemp reference but I prefer to think of it as The Skipper and Gilligan.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:48 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

modwiz wrote:
I really liked the one coming out of the amp. That speaker works real well with the amp and your style. Good choice. Fine playing, BTW.

If I just went with a Ragin Cajun or the WGS equivalent I could by another pedal.

I use the X2 head with Ragin Cajun in home made pine cabinet. Very pleased with the sound. Tried as well through the 12" speaker from Frontman 65R, but prefer the RC sound.