It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post subject: Pulled the trigger on the SC X2 today
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:20 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Hello all, I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 combo and the XD foot switch, today we shall see what it does in a week or so. I paid a reasonable price for a quick grab and go all purpose amp. I hope I can tweak it with the Fuse software to my satisfaction. The speaker may have to be changed in the future, but we shall see.

Fender Cyber Monday 2019
Post subject: Re: Pulled the trigger on the SC X2 today
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:57 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

desertbluesman wrote:
Hello all, I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 combo and the XD foot switch, today we shall see what it does in a week or so. I paid a reasonable price for a quick grab and go all purpose amp. I hope I can tweak it with the Fuse software to my satisfaction. The speaker may have to be changed in the future, but we shall see.

It is just an amazing amp and the price point too sweet. Enjoy!

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:01 am
Amateur
Amateur

Have fun! I love mine. its a perfect solution for guys that dont have an extra 50,000$ laying around for every great amp on the planet.
cheers

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:57 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Thanks.

Well I have a nice Valve Jr Head I use for daily rehearsal with a bunch of stomps in front and my real amp is a Hot Rod Deluxe (not version III), which by the way with a tube distortion stomp in front of the clean channel is the very finest sounding amp I ever owned (after I put in JJ tubes and an Eminence Tonespotter speaker) and I have owned almost every good amp I ever came across in the past Marshall Plexi, Various Boogies, almost every vintage Fender amp in the past. Of all of them my HRD is the most pleasing to my ears. I just needed a nice grab and go amp for jamming and small venues, the HRD is too heavy for my 70 year old bones. Plus the X2 will replace my $99 wonder Valve Jr head for daily practice as well.

Last edited by desertbluesman on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:00 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I hope with the Fuze Software I can tweak it to sound like the HRD somewhat. That would be real nice......

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:09 am
Amateur
Amateur

most people say the SCX2 is only a practice and recording amp. i use it for those purposes. but i am constantly baffled by people who think you cant gig with it. I have used it several times live and always with great results. the real magic happens with the volume at about 7-8 when the power tubes start having a m ore prominent effect on the tone. it really starts to cook and its very loud. i used to play a fender prosonic half stack that even at 60 watts when i cranked it up to the sweet spot it was SO loud most sound guys at good clubs cant get you in the mix properly and will tell you to turn down. anyone who gigs regularly will tell you this.sounds like you been in the biz longer than me so you prolly know all about this. truth be told you could play the biggest arena in the world with a fender greta if you wanted and would sound fantastic.the only time i think i needed a half stack was for playing outdoor punk shows with no house system. i use a tech 21 powere engine 60 to make the superchamp louder if i need it. but most times i dont. I am thinking now about getting a mustang floor to add a more versatile effects section to my champ. i love all the effects and sounds it has but its pretty limited on switching things up on the fly. and since the scx2 is already using a mustang brain i already know the effects will sound good.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:12 am
Amateur
Amateur

i bet you could. just pick the model thats closest to the sound you want and then tweak it from there. fuze really gives you a ton of sound options. i also recommend going through all your models and tweaking the mid knob to a place where you like it. thats really my only gripe.no mid knob. once you set it in fuze you can forget about it tho.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:46 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

andygutmonkey wrote:
i bet you could. just pick the model thats closest to the sound you want and then tweak it from there. fuze really gives you a ton of sound options. i also recommend going through all your models and tweaking the mid knob to a place where you like it. thats really my only gripe.no mid knob. once you set it in fuze you can forget about it tho.

Thanks amigo. I have the HRD for gigging out if it ever comes to "that loud" needed, I can disable the on board speaker and use two EVM 12 L's I have in 1-12 open back cabs and crank that thing and it will hold up well to any 40-60 watt half stack any day. The EVM12L's are a little more efficient speakers than many of the stack speakers used today, so they get a little more out of the wattage. I think for any room I may be in, the 15 watt SCX2 is all that will be needed. I don't wanna drag the HRD around anyways, my 70 year old bones don't need that action.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:33 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Congratulations! I bought one today too, and so far, so good.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:44 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

spacewolf wrote:
Congratulations! I bought one today too, and so far, so good.

AS long as you got a good one it should only get better, IMO. Fender has made and is making a lot of really good and cool stuff. The Greta and Excelsior being in the cool category, (good too). I feel they are currently a little overpriced. The Black Friday sale of 100 dollars for the Greta was an outstanding buy. 200 dollars is taking a little advantage of us. We either pay the price or don't get one. That said, no one will regret their investment, I'm sure. :)

The SCX2 is another story for me. They are hardly giving it away at 350.00ish but it is worth every penny. Two days after I got mine Fender took 25 dollars off until the end of the year. I would have liked to have saved 25 dollars, but I am not even thinking about it. I can just plug into channel one and just play some chords to hear that classic Fender goodness. Sonic heaven. Any number of the voices just astonish me to hear this little amp put out these tones.

Likewise my Mustang1 went up 10 dollars about two weeks after I first started considering it. That is another 10 dollars I won't sweat over. Just last night I plugged my guitar into the Mustang and used a preset, "Shred Solo", tweaked some light echo and reverb and went into a jam for almost an hour. It was after 4 AM, and in the headphones I was cranking like I had my own sound proof studio.

The SCX-2 is brilliant for the investment. Finding one in that blue-green color was more fun than I can describe.

Enjoy your new amp.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:10 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

spacewolf wrote:
Enjoy your new amp

Thank you, same to you. It's the most bang for the buck I could find in a tube amp, and it destroys my old hybrid Marshall.

modwiz wrote:
Finding one in that blue-green color was more fun than I can describe.

Yep, mine is surf green too! Flipping awesome! :D

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:41 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

desertbluesman wrote:
I hope with the Fuze Software I can tweak it to sound like the HRD somewhat. That would be real nice......

Please keep us posted on your explorations. Sharing the joy of this amp is part of the fun. I know there are those who are not juiced about the amp and I respect their opinions. Like food, tastes are individual. Look at all the different speakers Eminence puts out.

I am glad the stock speaker is ok for me now. The Ragin Cajun sounds decent to my ear, (although a little "bitey" in some demos I heard) and priced reasonably, but the Red Fang has some harmonic overtones that really caught my ear, like a second guitar playing. The main online stores sell it for 250.00. Glad I am happy with the stock speaker.................. for now.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:04 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I will get mine on Monday Dec 3, I am looking at the Eminence Patriot series Little Buddy 10" speaker for a possible replacement. In the mean time I have the EVM12L in an open back cab to a/b with the stock speaker. If there is a significant difference in tone towards where I want to be with the EVM12L, I will pull the trigger on the Little Buddy. Of course JJ tubes are going to be on order immediately if I do like the SCX2. They took my HRD from mediocre to stellar in one fell swoop. I am a believer.........

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:32 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

desertbluesman wrote:
I will get mine on Monday Dec 3, I am looking at the Eminence Patriot series Little Buddy 10" speaker for a possible replacement. In the mean time I have the EVM12L in an open back cab to a/b with the stock speaker. If there is a significant difference in tone towards where I want to be with the EVM12L, I will pull the trigger on the Little Buddy. Of course JJ tubes are going to be on order immediately if I do like the SCX2. They took my HRD from mediocre to stellar in one fell swoop. I am a believer.........

There were certain eminence speakers that sounded like their tone was nothing adding a little bass couldn't achieve, and some that a little treble wouldn't achieve the same. I am grossly exaggerating here. Then there are those that have certain upper frequency harmonics that come from the unique peaks and valleys in their higher Hz ranges. The Red Fang was such a speaker. They know it too since it is about 4x the cost of the RC.

No doubt that the Little Buddy has its' own way of saying things.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:25 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

modwiz wrote:
There were certain eminence speakers that sounded like their tone was nothing adding a little bass couldn't achieve, and some that a little treble wouldn't achieve the same. I am grossly exaggerating here. Then there are those that have certain upper frequency harmonics that come from the unique peaks and valleys in their higher Hz ranges. The Red Fang was such a speaker. They know it too since it is about 4x the cost of the RC.

Thanks amigo, I am awaiting the amp as tracking says Monday Dec 3. I am hoping I won't have to do anything, but if I like the amp enough 30 bucks worth of tubes, and a 80 buck speaker is not out of the question. I need a lightweight grab and go amp that needs no pedals except the channel switcher, and that is my hope for the X2. I have the well broken in EVM12L sitting right under this computer in the desk bottom with the Valve Jr head. I will A/B that with the stock speaker which of course is not broken in and will probably be shrill for a month or two. I had to replace the one that came with my HRD, but once I did I never looked back. Before that I was just plugged into the EVM12L and disabled the on board speaker, and never used it. I am assuming from the clips I have seen of the X2, I will have to do something with the speaker. I have high hopes for the X2 however one way or another.

The Little Buddy looks like it may do the trick as it has very little peak at 2K, I absolutely don't like the shrill highs, and the little buddy is a hemp cone which takes away that high Jangle shrillness that so many other Fender players seem to like, (like I once did as well) Plus the Little buddy (according to the frequency response graph) looks like it will handle the bass frequencies very well. We shall see if it is necessary.

Go to page 1, 2  Next