It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: In praise of Champ X2 stock speaker...
Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:11 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I've had my Super Champ X2 for over a year now and it is has become my "go-to" gigging amp. It ticks all the boxes for me - small, fairly lightweight, great tone. And, if not quite loud enough for the situation, the line out into the PA works great. Anyway, I fell prey to all of the stuff online that basically says the stock speaker is crap, gotta get a Rajun' Cajun (or pretty much anything else other than the stock speaker) to unleash it's potential, etc. Well, I found someone local selling an Eminence Allesandro GA-SC64-10 fairly cheap that he'd been using in a cab. Already broken in with supposedly 30 hours play time on it or so. I assumed this would turn my X2 into a complete monster and bought it. I put it in my amp and was disappointed to experience no "wow factor" at all. The sound was really thin and less warm sounding than the stock speaker. The GA-SC64-10 is not the most efficient speaker in the Eminence lineup by far at 98.2 db compared to the Cajun at 100.5db. However, based on what you read online, you'd think the spec on the X2 stock speaker was like 95db or something. Well, using the exact same settings, the stock speaker is also a little louder than the GA-SC64-10. And, because of it's voicing, the Allesandro really isn't very usable to me for certain things. For instance, the X2 can be a pretty good acoustic amp on Channel 2, Voice 16. With the Allesandro speaker in it, that's not remotely possible - way too brittle and harsh sounding. Bottom line is that if you have or are looking at buying this amp, just get it and play it! Fender designers and engineers are not idiots. Granted, it may be an OEM speaker, but do you honestly think they'd put something in there that doesn't make the amp sound like they wanted it to sound? Thanks for letting me vent - feel much better now!

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: In praise of Champ X2 stock speaker...
Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:02 pm
Roadie
Roadie

The stock speaker is very good. I thing the root of the complaints is that the stock speaker needs a break-in period before it really opens up. After that, it's fine.

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:41 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I had the same experience with the stock speaker (Celestion A-Type) that they now put in the Blues Jr IV. I followed the herd and tried a Cannabis Rex, then a Weber, then an Allessandro 12 SC64 ... none of them had the fullness and overall kick of the speaker Fender had chosen for them amp and so back in went the Celestion A-Type. And I am not typically a Celestion fan for the record!

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:40 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

The stock 10" speaker has surprised me. If you need more volume, try the suggestions below before replacing the speaker.

REMINDER: The stock speaker is NOT a one-trick pony! It has to reproduce all the different amp models. I would guess that the stock speaker is more of a full-rsnge speaker, closer to a PA speaker than a traditional guitar amp speaker.

--------------------------
SUGGESTIONS:

Put any kind of boost or gain pedal in the signal path and it can get REAL LOUD!!

1) For loud clean volume, almost any compressor or boost pedal should do the trick.

2) For a grittier LOUD sound, depending on your guitar's pickups (single coil or humbucker), an overdrive to your taste should get you there. For example, EHX Crayon or Soul Food, BOSS OD-3, etc.

3) For LOUD FUZZY sound, time to drag out any Big Muff.

4) Got a real loud drummer or need to blow the walls down?!!!

Combine the pedals and the Super Champ starts getting louder exponentially!! I've had it so deafeningly loud I was surprised the speaker didn't blow.

Hope that helps!

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:25 pm
Roadie
Roadie

I'm assuming when you say to add a gain pedal, you mean an actual, external pedal, not the simulation pedal built into the amp. I've only notice a slight increase in volume doing that, as if the sound processor limits the input signal at some point. I'll have to play around with it some more.

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:13 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Pdawg, Yes, external pedal. I'd be interested to hear what pedals you try out and what you think of the results. Thanks!

Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:53 pm
Roadie
Roadie

I got a chance to try it today. I used a Boss BD-2 pedal. Level full, gain low. It did add quite a bit more volume when when the guitar volume was set to 6. Setting the guitar volume to 10, not as much increase in volume. It's like the amp limits the input signal at some point.

Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:49 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for the feedback, pdawg. As for, "It's like the amp limits the input signal at some point."

I haven't found that, but then the BD is a low gain pedal. Have you tried that with Channel 1's volume cranked way up?

I get quite a boost from my pedals, depending which ones I use AND in what order I stack them. Stacking pedals is how I get the REALLY LOUD volume. The Wampler Ego Compressor alone, can add quite a bit of volume and thickens up the tone rather nicely. I should mention, I'm using a Classic Player's Strat with Vintage Noiseless pickups. I rebuilding my guitar collection. Everytime I think about getting a humbucker equipped guitar, I find myself drawn to get a Tele first.

I forgot to say that I don't limit myself to just channel 1. The Deluxe Reverb amp model (#7) has a nice thick sound with plenty of gain. The real noisy one for me is #13, the clone of the Fender Super Sonic. I read a couple years ago that Channel 1, or the "Clean" channel, as some call it, is either amp model #4 or #5. I think if you compare those amp models to Channel 1, you'll probably find one of them is very close, if not the same.

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:49 am
Roadie
Roadie

The guitar I used was an Epiphone Dot with SD Pearly Gates pickups. I typically use channel 1 when I want to use pedals. Otherwise, I use channel 2 on the Deluxe Reverb voice, adjusting gain to fit my mood. I like the Princeton voice, too. I've had my SCX2 for five years and I think it's a great little amp. Small and easy to use, very versatile and loud enough to keep up with a drummer.

I'm anxious to see how the new ToneMaster amps fair in the marketplace. They look pretty nice on paper, although a bit pricey for solid state.

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:20 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Yes, I was thinking the same thing about the ToneMaster's price, too high. I'm a big fan of Roland gear, but they got pricey with their solid state Blues Cubes. For that much money, I'd buy a tube amp.

I got rid of a brand new Hot Rod Deluxe because it was too loud and I didn't feel like spending more money on a brand new amp just to make the volume manageable. I wish Fender would change the volume pots on those amps. That, and I wish they would mount the tube sockets to the chassis instead of a PCB. Now, I just gig with the Super Champ X2 up on a chair and it's no problem getting over a full band for leads. I'd buy another SCX2 before I'd buy a ToneMaster.

I was forewarned that I should buy one soon, so I guess Fender's planning on discontinuing them, which will be a real shame. Super Champs are perfect for a small, affordable stereo rig. Champs have always been great little amps ever since the 1950s, no matter what Fender has done to them. Champ is a magic brand name for Fender. Fender, are you listening?!