It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Are FSR amps worth the added cost?
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:54 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

The Super Champ X2 FSR in wine red is $499.

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Are FSR amps worth the added cost?
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:36 pm
Roadie
Roadie

The FSR has a Celestion speaker, so it should sound better. Whether it's worth the extra $130 (or whatever it is) is up to you. Can you try them in a store side by side?

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:02 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

If you were to buy the amp head, and the matching 1x12 cabinet, the cabinet comes with a 12" Celestion G12P-80 speaker at 80 Watts, and the combination of amp/cabinet would run $499.98.
You're looking at 10" speakers in the Combo amp rated with less wattage...and of course the red tolex.
In MY head, the price climb between the stock Combo and FSR doesn't substantiate itself simply because of the other option. Unless you just like red...I'd get the head and cabinet for a penny less than the red Combo.

Here are the 10 inch "G" series Celestion's:
G10 Vintage: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... er?rNtt=10" Celestion G12P-80&index=5 $95.00 60 Watt
G10 N: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... er?rNtt=10" Celestion G12P-80&index=6 $69.00 40 Watt

'12 Standard Strat
'13 CD-60
'15 Standard Strat
'15 T-Bucket 300CE Amber
'15 Rogue RA-100D (Beater)
'17 Epiphone Ltd. Ed. SG Special-I
'17 Epiphone Les Paul Studio LT

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:36 pm
Roadie
Roadie

The FSR has a Celestial G10. I'd tend to agree with White Dog. I wouldn't pay that much more just to get the other speaker and the colors. I have the combo, and am very happy with the standard 10" speaker. White Dog is getting the head/cab set up, and sure it also sounds great. Fender picks speakers that will bring the best out of their amps, at the right price point.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:56 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Also, you have to remember "Fender SPECIAL Run" is only "Special", if they don't end up re-issuing it. Otherwise you just have an FSR amp from the first 'run'. Think about it.

'12 Standard Strat
'13 CD-60
'15 Standard Strat
'15 T-Bucket 300CE Amber

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:55 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Ok...I checked things out. The Wine Red tolex with Tweed grill cloth is absolutely stunning!
The Celestion G10 is a "Greenback"...and that is considered to be one of the best sounding speakers out there (by me and many, many others). I have one in my 1999 Blues Junior.

The Celestion G10 Greenback speaker goes for $115.00 on most gear sites.
The Fender (Eminence) 10" Vintage Ceramic speaker the black combo comes with goes for $68.99 on most gear sites.
That is a $46.01 difference...so in essence, you would be paying $73.99 for the Wine Red Tolex and Tweed grill cloth, and the $46.01 in the difference of the price of the speaker (the speaker swap is worth it).

YOU have to decide if the beautiful tolex and grill cloth is worth the Seventy-Four extra bones.

'12 Standard Strat
'13 CD-60
'15 Standard Strat
'15 T-Bucket 300CE Amber

Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:02 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

The tone in the FSR is significantly better vs the stock speaker. To me it was totally worth it.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:30 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have to agree with Jason. I played both amps before buying the FSR. To my way of thinking, the FSR cost $100 more, but it would have cost me $115+ to upgrade the standard Super Champ to the better speaker.

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:28 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Folks - thought I'd weigh in on my opinions on this amp. I could write lots of words about this amp, but instead, I'll give you the short take. Mind you, I have several vintage amps including a '72 Deluxe and a '68 Princeton. So my comparison on sound and practicality is rooted in having vintage Fender amps as a comparison.

* it's light and easy to transport from home to practice and to small gig stages
* the 16 different modelling amp include sounds from bright crisp classic Fenders, Vox AC30, Marshall JCM800, Mesa Boogie Rectifier and the classic Peavey 6505 for some real drive.
* the clean channel is surprisingly pleasing - it's a blend between a vintage Champ and a vintage Princeton
* Use Fender Tone to tweak the amp sounds with presence and mid-range controls (no mid knob on the amp face)
* the 10" Celestion Greenback is a KILLER speaker for this combo - should be the standard (I like it better than the Rajun Cajun model)
* I replaced the pre-amp tube (Groove tubes come standard) with a TungSol - it provides a tad better overall tone, especially in mids and lows, ever-so-slightly - it's really noticeable with a 12" extension cab. I didn't notice a difference in replacing the output tubes with TungSols over the stock Groove tubes.
* I built a few extra cabinets with vintage 12" speakers in them - this is where the flexibility and great sound that this tube/modelling amp comes into play - if you pair a 12" with this model, it unleashes more of the mids and crisp lows that classic fenders have. Do it!
* here's a link to the plans and a video on how to make a 12" cabinet (much like the Fender SC112): https://www.pixachrome.com/1x12-speaker-cabinet/

This is now my gig amp because the Deluxe is too heavy and I don't want to ruin my Princeton.

Just my 2 pence...