It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Best Settings for Voices (Amps)
Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:09 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thinking I'd throw this out here. I tweaked the settings (gain, treble and bass) for some of the amp voices but wasn't really digging most of them. Then I discovered by linking up to Fuse and factory setting everything that the amp face pictures all had their own gain, treble and bass settings of thier own on channel two. The key is to manually (physically) match the gain, treble and bass after choosing your voice. I find these settings make all amps sound very close to what they are supposed to sound like. It is way to much to memorize so I wrote them down and plan on taping them to top of the amp. Hope this helps others as much as it helped me!
:mrgreen:

1 - ’57 Champ Gain 7 Treble 5 Bass 5
2 - ’57 Deluxe Gain 6 Treble 7.5 Bass 5
3 - ’57 Deluxe Gain 6 Treble 7.5 Bass 5
4 - ’59 Bassman Gain 6.5 Treble 5 Bass 6.5
5 - ’65 Princeton Gain 4 Treble 6.5 Bass 4
6 - ’65 Princeton Gain 4 Treble 6.5 Bass 4
7 - ’65 Deluxe Gain 5 Treble 6 Bass 3
8 - ’65 Twin Gain 4 Treble 7.5 Bass 7
9 - British ’60’s Gain 6.5 Treble 6 Bass 7
10 - British ’60's Gain 6.5 Treble 6 Bass 7
11 - British ’70’s Gain 10 Treble 7 Bass 8
12 - British ’80's Gain 10 Treble 7 Bass 8
13 - Super-Sonic Gain 7.5 Treble 6.5 Bass 6.5
14 - American ’90’s Gain 5 Treble 6 Bass 7
15 - Metal 2000 Gain 6.5 Treble 6 Bass 6
16 - Jazzmaster Gain 5 Treble 5 Bass 5

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Best Settings for Voices (Amps)
Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:49 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Okay, so I notice nobody is replying. Maybe I made this too complicated. It really doesn't matter why this works out so well as the fact that it does.

Step 1. Factory reset the amp..

FACTORY PRESET RESTORE — To restore all presets to their factory settings: Press and hold the TAP button for 4 seconds until the TAP LED lights up. Release the TAP button; the TAP LED will stay lit during the restore process (about 5 seconds). When the TAP LED goes out, restore is complete.

Step 2. Use the settings I've posted.

Step 3. Enjoy fourteen different classic amps. (2 are repeated with different effects attached)
:mrgreen:

Don't even worry about Fuse. It's confusing and half baked. I think Fender dropped the ball on this amp. They should have labeled the voices on the face of the amp as well as the F/X select. Also, they should have given these default Gain, Treble and Bass settings as a starting point for the different voices. Even if it were just in the manual. /rant

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:35 pm
Roadie
Roadie

On the Super Champ X2, the gain, treble and bass don't get saved with the voice. They're set by the dial on the front of the amp.

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:27 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I understand. I am not making my point clear. I will try and post screenshots that might help.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:35 am
Roadie
Roadie

I reread your post, and I think I see what you're saying (and doing). I set up a few voices on mine, with Fuse, quite a while ago, and haven't used Fuse for much since. Still, it's interesting what you brought up. Please post some screenshots when you can. The SCX2 is a great little amp. Love mine.

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:53 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Okay, let me try again. This are stock images of the Fuse software (after resetting the amp to factory). The amp does not need to be plugged into the computer to see these settings.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ATxy6XwMKiEDFNe17
Notice the Champ settings... now notice the Deluxe settings (especially Bass at 3, who would think to try that?). These are the best settings to the different amps (voices). At the very least, starting points. Specifically Gain, Treble and Bass. Mids are set as well, but is adjustable only in the software. I choose to leave it alone. They really define the amps sweet spot to my ears. I have written down the settings in the first post. If you have already tweaked your own settings in Fuse, you can backup those settings first, then factory reset the amp settings, then try these. I encourage anybody to try them. They are a great starting point!

I'm using Fuse as a reference. Fuse does not need to be used at all to adjust your settings. Adjustments are done old school on the amp as you change voices. I find it interesting how these reference settings are hiding in plain site. Fender does nothing to address the settings as if they might be a reference. Without a reference point to the different amps, some can sound down right lousy just guessing at the Gain, Treble and Bass. The settings Fender has provided (however obtuse) make every voice (amp) usable. Very usable. Enough to make me wanna tape a laminated list to the top of the cabinet.

I think I will refer to the Fuse software as (Con)Fuse. It does have some nice tweaks in the advanced settings (which I really don't use but can appreciate), but overall confuses me. Saving adjustments doesn't always work anyhow and the app is unstable. The ideas are good, just not fleshed out and polished. My opinion. YMMW.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/P2yVNqZy7G6CgkmX7

That's one of my favorite amps. The Bassman. Notice the Gain, Treble and Bass settings. Thanks to Fender the settings are there! I just wish they would have posted it in real life instead of inside the Fuse software. What happens to somebody who never downloads the app? They would have to guess at the settings and hope they come close to what Fender sees as a classic tone for this amp.

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:35 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks Fenderguy....
Just bought a X2 head after playing a Boss Katana 100 head for about a year. My setup involves having my 112 cabinet behind the drummer and standing about 15 feet away up front. I run the head next to me so I can tweak as needed.
The Katana was ok and a nice utility amp but the X2 gives me a Fenderish tone.
A new Bassbreaker 112 cab is on its way.
While the Kat software is fantastic to use, FUSE has a lot of limitations. Fortunately the X2 sounds great without it.

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:36 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Nice! 15 feet is a long way, nice that you have the controls close by. Some drummers really appreciate hearing the guitar. I think it gives them a vibe of the melody more than just listening to the bass for rhythm.