It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Does anybody have this issue with High Noise?
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:32 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I was wondering if anybody gets this noise? I did this at my house, a neighbor's house a few doors away and still the same issue... Not talking about the buzz, just the high pitched constant. I've had other tube amps but dont remember anything like this.

Fender Play February 2019
Post subject: Re: Does anybody have this issue with High Noise?
Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:17 am
Roadie
Roadie

All I'm hearing is the 60 cycle hum, not any high pitch noise. Maybe it's just not be coming through on my computer. The Super Champ is a bit sensitive to ungrounded outlets and will be noisier if not grounded via the third prong on the power plug. You mentioned trying it at a different house, but it's possible both houses have improper grounding. You can buy a simple outlet tester for under $10 and check the ground. Let us know what you figure out.

Post subject: Re: Does anybody have this issue with High Noise?
Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:51 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I checked out your video and I believe your noise is two-fold.

1. Your A/C circuit is most likely not properly grounded.

2. You immediately switched to the amp model channel. Some of the high gain amp models are noisy, some more than others.

If you still have the noise on the clean/normal channel, then grounding is your issue. Try plugging your amp into a bathroom circuit, which is most likely to have a proper ground (where there's running water, there's usually good grounds).

Definitely go to Home Depot and buy the $11-12 outlet tester. I take one to every gig.

Your noise on the DSP amp modeling channel is not abnormal and the Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor kills that noise in my rig.

Alternatively, load the Fuse software on a computer and connect your amp with the USB cable Fender included with the amp. Then you can edit the amp models, including noise gate settings.

The Super Champs rock!! Avoid the temptation to follow others advice to replace the speaker just to get more volume. Instead, play it awhile to break in the speaker. As soon as you put any kind of gain pedal(s) in the signal chain the amp will roar beyond belief. With just a Wampler Ego Compressor (with boost galore) and an Electro-Harmonix Soul Food I can get over a loud rock drummer with the stock 10" speaker.

You have a killer amp. Don't let the noise discourage you, but do find good grounded outlets.

One other tip. Super Champs are hard on the phase inverter tube. I recommend replacing the stock 12AX7 with a JJ ECC803S. When the amp starts cutting out and/or losing volume, the phase inverter tube is probably starting to fail. My factory tube failed very quickly and a Tungsten made it about 6 months. The JJ has lasted over a year.