It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Recording directly from the SCX2 USB port into Windows
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Decided to try it this morning while waiting for an audio interface to arrive, and lo and behold, the setup to get it working is tricky but it works great once it's setup correctly!

I have it recording in Studio One directly from Strat to SCX2 to Windows laptop. Reaper recognizes it, too.

If anyone needs help getting it working, hit me up. I love this little amp. Happy to help out.

I got a Hot Rod Deluxe in the summer of 2017 for an out-of-own gig, and I ended up giving it away to my drummer, I was so disappointed with it. The Super Champ is an amazing little amp for the money. The only thing I'd like to see Fender improve is the transformer and/or filtration on the incoming power. That's the one thing that was much better on the HRD.

The SCX2 doesn't like open grounded outlets, so I carry an outlet checker to find grounded outlets whenever I take it out; you can almost always find grounded outlets close to where there's running water.

Fender Play February 2019
Post subject: Re: Recording directly from the SCX2 USB port into Windows
Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:33 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

trying to find out what the problem is to get a signal from SCX2 via usb to daw on computer. Sonar shows the Fender SCX2 and in Fender Fuse the USB gain is all the way up. But in Sonar and even in Finale which has an audio track option it shows the Fender as selected for input and output but I get no signal to either program. Any help any one can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:46 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi there,

I could use some help with setting this up in Reaper. I have never recorded anything there before so I'm totally new to this!

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:40 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

johne1 wrote:
Decided to try it this morning while waiting for an audio interface to arrive, and lo and behold, the setup to get it working is tricky but it works great once it's setup correctly!

I have it recording in Studio One directly from Strat to SCX2 to Windows laptop. Reaper recognizes it, too.

If anyone needs help getting it working, hit me up. I love this little amp. Happy to help out.
[...]

I'm new to recording in general and just installed Reaper and was trying to record with my SCX2 - can you share your advice on what you need to do to make it work? I downloaded some Fender ASIO driver and selected that in options but don't see the amp listed in the inputs available to record from.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:46 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Just now saw your questions, guys. No, I didn't have to change anything in Fender Fuse. The problem and fix is in Windows Audio settings.

On my way out the door for early morning labs and chemo. Check the Recording device and Playback device settings. I'm pretty sure that I found one of those disabled. When both are enabled AND using the correct device, then it will work. When I get home I'll jump on the laptop and find you more specifics.

My apologies for being so late getting back to you both.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:48 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

jswguitar@gmail.com wrote:
trying to find out what the problem is to get a signal from SCX2 via usb to daw on computer. Sonar shows the Fender SCX2 and in Fender Fuse the USB gain is all the way up. But in Sonar and even in Finale which has an audio track option it shows the Fender as selected for input and output but I get no signal to either program. Any help any one can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

This laptop I'm using is running Windows 8.1, so some of your selections might different, but hopefully this will get you doing in the right direction:

1. Go into the Control Panel and select Devices and Printers.

2. Under Devices, right click on your amp's icon.

3. Select Sound Settings.

4. Click on the Recording tab.
NOTE: In the Sound dialog box there is another tab called Sound.
You'll be using that also in Step 6.

5. In the Recording tab:
A. Select your amp,
B. Click on Set Default,
C. Click on Properties.

I can't help you with the specifics in Properties. I discovered this evening
that I lost my Super Champ USB cable on an out of town gig 2 weeks ago.

6. After finishing setting your amp as the Recording device, it's recommended
that you turn off Windows Sound system to avoid a clash over what app
will be using the sound card at any given time.
A. If you're out of the Sound dialog, go back in the Control Panel and click on the Sound icon.
B. Change the Sound Scheme to "No Sounds".
NOTE: This prevents Windows sounds from playing
while playing back what you've recorded from your amp.

That's all I have for you for now. I should have another SCX2 USB cable in a couple of days.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:54 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Finally got my replacement USB cable. I ordered a 6 foot USB A to mini B cable from Home Depot (Steren brand). With tax it cost $2.45.

Here's the solution to configure Windows Sound to record directly from the Super Champ's USB port.

1. Turn on PC and boot up into Windows.
2. Turn on Super Champ.
a. Connect USB cable to Super Champ
b. Connect USB cable to PC
3. Open the Windows Control Panel.
a. Click on 'Devices and Printers'
b. The 'Devices and Printers' window should open
c. Under 'Devices', you should see 'Super Champ X2 Amp'
d. Right click on 'Super Champ X2 Amp'
e. In the popup menu select, 'Sound settings'
f. Click on the 'Recording' tab
g. The Microphone device will probably be selected for recordinig.
This is why you can't record.
h. In the list of recording devices you should see,
'Internal AUX Jack
SuperChamp X2 Amp
Disabled'
i. Double click on 'Internal AUX Jack' to open its Properties window
j. Open the 'Device usage:' drop down menu
and select, 'Use this device (Enable)'.
Click Apply and then click Ok.
4. Exit the Control Panel and you should now be able to record from your Super Champ X2.

NOTE 1: To configure audio in Studio One, Reaper or any other DAW, you will have to select Windows Audio as your audio interface, and if necessary (which is most likely), repeat the above steps within the DAW's Audio Setup.

NOTE 2: To use ASIO4All as your DAW's audio interface, first configure Windows Sound per the instructions above. Then, if you were running Fuse, restart Windows. Fuse uses a WAV Synth module that will render the SuperChamp X2 Amp device unavailable to ASIO4ALL within your DAW.
After restarting Windows, run your DAW and configure ASIO4ALL as your DAW's audio interface.

I did all the steps I outlined above and in the NOTES and was able to record the Super Champ X2 within Studio One and Reaper. Using Windows Audio as your audio interface within the DAWs is the simplest solution. While using your DAWs, you should avoid using any other audio programs to avoid playback conflicts.