It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Mustang Floor Power Supply (Where to buy)
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:17 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Does anyone know where I can get a second adapter/power supply for the Mustang Floor? I like to have a backup. I have looked on the Fender store. But it is not there.

Thanks!
RickeG

Fender Cyber Monday 2019
Post subject: Re: Mustang Floor Power Supply (Where to buy)
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:01 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

RickeG wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get a second adapter/power supply for the Mustang Floor? I like to have a backup. I have looked on the Fender store. But it is not there.

Thanks!
RickeG

What you can do is take the one you have down to a good electronics supply house and they can fix you up with the same power supply output and an adapter to go with it that will work or you can call Fender support/sales.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:59 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks Hio,

I thought about getting a 3rd party supply. But, I am leary on how that will affect the unit. I am quirky that way. The web site sales page did not have it. You did raise a good point about contacting the support team directly. I will try that.
Thanks!

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:37 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

RickeG wrote:
Thanks Hio,

I thought about getting a 3rd party supply. But, I am leary on how that will affect the unit. I am quirky that way. The web site sales page did not have it. You did raise a good point about contacting the support team directly. I will try that.
Thanks!

I have an old Morley Wah/Volume pedal circa 70s/80s and used to use a battery in it as well as in most of my effects. I remember Eric Johnson always stated he could tell the difference in his sound depending on what brand of battery he used which at first I thought was ridiculous, but when I went out and bought a serious power supply from a electronics supply house, man did that Wah kick in.

Still use it today with an overmatched power supply and get a signature sound from it. I use power supplies instead of batteries for most everything now. I understand your quirkiness and Eric does too, as well as most guitarist I know. No need for therapy cuz it is true :)

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:37 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

The above post was edited for clarity sake. My apologies. Carry on.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:49 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I like to have a backup too. I gave up trying to find one from Fender. They just buy Chinese ones in bulk anyway. The power supply that came with my Mustang Floor is from a Chinese company called Hon-Kwang. I figure as long as the power rating is correct, it will work fine. The back of the manual for the Mustang Floor says, "Power requirements: AC/DC adapter: 12VDC 800mA". That's Fender telling us what to use. That's the power rating on my power supply, too. So, I'll stop at Radio Shack and get one like that, or order one online. I just noticed that the back of the Mustang Floor says, "12VCD 600mA". Hmmmm... 600mA or 800mA? I'm guessing it doesn't matter much.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:49 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Quote:
Hmmmm... 600mA or 800mA?

Probably the number on the M-Floor (600) itself is what it will use. But the documentation says to use a higher-rated one (800) so you aren't running it at the limit.

Quote:
I figure as long as the power rating is correct, it will work fine.

Yes and no. It will work, but lower quality units won't have such good filtering, etc, and will introduce 'noise' into the circuit. That's fine for straight DC power (eg powering a phone charger or electric motor, etc) but not good for audio equipment. Poor quality units also may not maintain a perfectly consistent voltage under varying load, which again may affect the sound output of audio equipment such as the M-Floor.

Unfortunately there's no way to tell from the ratings etc that are given for various products, how well they filter out noise and so on. Possibly a high-quality item may make reference to its filtering/stability or explicitly say it's designed for audio equipment. If it were me, I'd make sure I bought it from somewhere that will take it back if it's noisy.

NB This isn't paranoia, an unfortunate direct personal experience.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:20 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Bummer. I just ordered a 12VDC 800mA AC/DC adapter, but the connecting pin is the wrong size - it won't plug into the back of the Mustang Floor. There's no standard size on this stuff??

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:25 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Quote:
There's no standard size on this stuff??

Yes, there are lots of standards, unfortunately all different but very similar... :?

As well as different shapes of pin and different sizes, it's possible for either pin to be plus or minus...

Unfortunately nothing in the formal specs/ratings for these power supplies gives any information on the pin-out. One has to rely on the written description (if any!) and hopefully a schematic printed on the unit itself.

I agree this is all very frustrating and undesirable.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:17 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks Gents for your interaction. I learned a lot just from reading the posts here. I was about to order one online until you mentioned it not matching the pin for the Floor. Whew. I suppose it is a matter of stopping by a Radio Shak and using the specs along with the adapter to match up the pin with.

Tragic that Fender can make a sturdy, steel product like the Floor and yet connect its life source with a flimsy, easily breakable AC/DC adapter. Almost contradictory. You can drop the Mustang Floor from a second story window and it will work. Just don't touch the adapter because it will break like a cotton swab! :)

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:36 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

:lol: LOL I totally agree. The power supply of the floor looks like Fender forgot about it until half an hour before shipping the first unit.

I got my adapter and the flimsy cable going to the floor covered with several layers of electric tape in the places the cable could bend as a "preventive" measure. Otherwise, it looks it could break just looking at it.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:15 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

See Fender's posts in the following topics for details of the part number for replacement M-Floor power supplies, and clarification on how to order etc.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=82543
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=82637

(Yes I agree one shouldn't ever need to replace it, just 'closing the circle' on this topic in case anyone does...)

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:03 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

If you can get a power supply that is 12v 1amp and has a 5.5x 2.5mm male end it will work.. my iso 5 power supply runs my mustang floor great with the 5.5x2.5mm red cable.