It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Used Mustang II amp turned itself off, and will not turn on
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:33 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi,

A couple months ago I bought a used Fender Mustang II amp on craigslist. The guy had bought the amp about a year ago, but unfortunately had not saved the receipt. However the amp has worked great this whole time. Until today that is.

Today I just got my first good guitar delivered, and was quick to hook it up to my amp to try it out. Everything was great, then about 15 minutes into playing it, the amp just shut off. All of the lights went out. I tried flipping the switch off and back on, no response at all. I tried making sure the power plug was plugged in all the way. I tried a different outlet. I tried a different cord. I took the back off and made sure the leads to the power plug were attached.

Does anyone have any idea what I might be able to check? Since I don't have the receipt I cannot get warranty support.

Thanks in advance.

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Used Mustang II amp turned itself off, and will not turn
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:09 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

barnett25 wrote:
Hi,

A couple months ago I bought a used Fender Mustang II amp on craigslist. The guy had bought the amp about a year ago, but unfortunately had not saved the receipt. However the amp has worked great this whole time. Until today that is.

Today I just got my first good guitar delivered, and was quick to hook it up to my amp to try it out. Everything was great, then about 15 minutes into playing it, the amp just shut off. All of the lights went out. I tried flipping the switch off and back on, no response at all. I tried making sure the power plug was plugged in all the way. I tried a different outlet. I tried a different cord. I took the back off and made sure the leads to the power plug were attached.

Does anyone have any idea what I might be able to check? Since I don't have the receipt I cannot get warranty support.

Thanks in advance.

You should be able to track down the receipt. Where did he buy it from? Fender should be able to track down where the guitar was wholesaled, then the wholesaler may help you find out who retailed it, etc!

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:12 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I actually know the store he bought it from. You think they can just look up the receipt?

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:06 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I had a G-dec replaced by Fender that I had bought used. The only reciept I had was the paypal receipt from my purchase. They can track the serial # to verify it is still under warranty. I talked with Jeff Krause @ customer support then shipped it off to a authorized fender repair shop. I did take awhile though.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:33 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Honestly, it sounds like a blown fuse.

Marshall Lead 12 3005 MS
Gibson Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Gibson SG Faded Special
Fender American Special Stratocaster
Hagstrom Ultra-Swede
Custom Warmoth Strat

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:55 pm
Fender Staff

Hey Barnett,

It's tough to say what the problem could be. I would definitely try to track down the receipt from the dealer though. The serial does indeed indicate the date of manufacture but obviously not the date of purchase.

(800) 856-9801

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:40 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for the help everyone! It doesn't look like I can get the receipt (the retailer uses paper records and would not have been able to find the sale). I don't know if Fender will honor the warranty for 5 years from the date of manufacture or not.

I ended up finding and fixing the problem myself. There was a bad solder connection on the power supply board. I re-soldered it and that seems to have fixed the issue.

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:54 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Darn those cold solder joints!

Marshall Lead 12 3005 MS
Gibson Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Gibson SG Faded Special
Fender American Special Stratocaster
Hagstrom Ultra-Swede
Custom Warmoth Strat

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:39 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

barnett25 wrote:
Thanks for the help everyone! It doesn't look like I can get the receipt (the retailer uses paper records and would not have been able to find the sale). I don't know if Fender will honor the warranty for 5 years from the date of manufacture or not.

I ended up finding and fixing the problem myself. There was a bad solder connection on the power supply board. I re-soldered it and that seems to have fixed the issue.

Yes Fender will honor the Warranty however if the original owner did not register the amp when he bought it the 5yr period could be shorter based on when the amp was made and not sold. That's the way it worked for me as there was no history of my serial#