It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Mustang II v2 Aux And Phones Jack Fixed
Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:41 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Recently, I bought a used Mustang II v2 to be able to use Fender Fuse. In the advert the seller made it apparent that both 3.5mm jacks were broken. After some research I found out this happens regularly on Mustang Amps. I therefore want to show one of the many possibilities to fix this. Of course you should be sufficient with a soldering iron. ;-)

Taking the amp apart is pretty straight forward. The board holding the jacks has very short cables, so some carefull fiddling is required, otherwise you might break them.

The jacks themselves have small retainers on their sides. With a small scredriver you can press them in and the plastic cover comes loose. As you can see the upper ring of the the jacks on my amp were completely gone.

Now you can desolder all the parts of the old jack. To really get them clean, I used a desoldering pump on the top and the iron on the bottom. That way you wont damage all the parts on the top, especially around the Phones jack.

Now for the new jack. Because of the shortcoming of the original jack, I wanted to replace it with something sturdier but keep original looks. After some search I found a jack that had the right hight and socket diameter. Only one problem, this one has the pins on its side.

The only pin that matching the board layout was the number 4 pin (bottom middle). For the others I had to do new cables. I first soldered cables to the board and then routed them to the right pins. The real difficulty was Pin 3/5, because here the pin lines up with the wrong joint on the board. I bended up the pin and that worked perfectly!

After sorting out some wrong documentation (Pins 2 and 3 were reversed) I put some hot glue on the sides to fix the jacks in place.

Here is the schematic I used (colors do not match with foto, I got confused along the way). Black=Ground, Red=Ring, Blue=Tip. Pin4 is soldered directly to the board, but I included it for the sake of completness.

After that the board went beack together. It could be that you have to use a small spacer on the nearest screw (about 0.5mm). But my board is already a little bent, so I went without.

Fender Cyber Monday 2019
Post subject: Re: Mustang II v2 Aux And Phones Jack Fixed socket types
Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:22 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi there,

That looks like great work. I have recently taken ownership of a Mustang I and was ;looking at at the Auxiliary socket. I am probably not as clever as you about electrical components but I do know that there is a difference between TRS and TRRS cables with TRS being the stereo headphone type adapter and TRRS being the ones you connect to mobile phones for stereo headphones plus a microphone to transmit voice back.

I know from experience that pushing a TRS jack into a TRRS socket can cause damage, as I destroyed the TRRS socket on an iPhone 3 like this some years ago. That was how I learned the difference between the two.

I can't find any specs that will confirm whether the socket on the mustang is TRS or TRRS but had convinced myself that it was most likely a TRS socket. Then I saw your post and I started to wonder. The kind of damage you say that these amps experience is consistent with what I have seen on a TRS jack being incorrectly plugged into a TRRS socket. Therefore I am now doubting myself.

Are you able to confirm which jack should be used. If I was as clever as you I could probably work it out from the schematic, but I am not and don't want to make a mistake.

I am therefore hoping you could put me straight. Many thanks in advance if you are.

All the best

Aaron

Post subject: Re: Mustang II v2 Aux And Phones Jack Fixed
Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:31 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Pontiac51 wrote:
Recently, I bought a used Mustang II v2

Hopefully it was all about the learning experience and the joy of repairing it for you. Otherwise, I'm not sure it was worth it.

You paid:
Price of acquisition
Price of parts
Price of tools
Your time

You can get one of used and fully functional for about $100 tops.

Post subject: Re: Mustang II v2 Aux And Phones Jack Fixed
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:13 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I am pretty sure it's a TRS plug. Or stereo plug on both occasions. What sense would a TRRS make?

I bought this for less than 100 and it was the only one available at the time for me. Availibality is a little different over here in Europe. Repair just cost me the two switches for less the a dollar each, everything else was available.

And yes I do like to make my own repairs. ;-)