It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Mustang III latency when using bluetooth transmitter
Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:29 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I recently decided to change over from wired headphones to Bluetooth. Purchased Bluetooth headphones and a Bluetooth transmitter to plug into the "Phones" jack on top of the amp. Behold, a strum on the guitar sent the sound to the headphones almost half a second later. My first thought was that there was a latency problem with either the transmitter or the headphones. Tested both out on the TV and on my laptop and had zero latency. With wired headphones, there is absolutely no latency - they work perfectly. I also have a Mustang V head and it demonstrates identical symptoms to the III. Does anyone have a magic chant or is there a secret button I'm missing on the amp. Thanks in advance to anyone with suggestions.

Sean

Fender Play October 2018
Post subject: Re: Mustang III latency when using bluetooth transmitter
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:40 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I hear what you're saying with "it works for all these other devices but not the Mustang amp so it must be the amp" logic. But then, what changes about the way the amp operates when you're plugging the bluetooth adapter in? The headphone jack on the amp is still a headphone jack, what's changing is what you're plugging into the port. Maybe there is some kind of interference?

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:04 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

ghost_of_strings wrote:
I hear what you're saying with "it works for all these other devices but not the Mustang amp so it must be the amp" logic. But then, what changes about the way the amp operates when you're plugging the bluetooth adapter in? The headphone jack on the amp is still a headphone jack, what's changing is what you're plugging into the port. Maybe there is some kind of interference?

I don't believe that interference is the issue since the laptop on which I tested the units is roughly four feet from the amp. The signal from the amp is constant to the headphone socket and when anything is plugged in, it terminates the final of the amp going to the speaker. The actual information/signal to the headphone socket shouldn't change and, in fact, doesn't when using hard-wired headphones. I find it truly mysterious.

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:01 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Are you able to tune the bitrate on that Bluetooth dongle or does it pretty just do what it does? Other than that I have no ideas.

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:33 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

ghost_of_strings wrote:
Are you able to tune the bitrate on that Bluetooth dongle or does it pretty just do what it does? Other than that I have no ideas.

Nope, no adjustments are available. Just on/off. Thanks, though.

Sean