It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
Post subject: UPDATE: Fender, Update Fuse to be a 64-bit application!!
Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:57 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with Fender Consumer Relations. The problem is that Microsoft pulled support for Silverlight, which Fuse was built on. Support for Fender Fuse ended 1.5 years ago at Fender.

Our digital amps are still functional, as is. If you have access to an older computer, you can continue to use Fuse. In the case of Windows 10 there's apparently backwards support for 32-bit and Silverlight. At least, according to one user's report here on another forum.

Fender's new direction is the Mustang GT line, etc. I even recommended they get into the plugin business and produce plugins for DAWs that reproduce the classic Fender amp sounds.

You can't stop change. I've certainly witnessed that in my lifetime from the invention of the transistor in the 1950s to where we are today.

Best wishes all! Rock on, Fender! I'll always be a fan of Fender as long as they stick to Leo's vision of making gear accessible to the masses and produce gear that are tools. As Leo said, speaking of his guitars, "It's a hammer! It's a tool." Drop a Fender guitar and very likely you'll be able to pick it right back up and keep on playing. Try that with other leading brands and with most you'll be crying the blues.

----------------------------------------

The problems are occurring for ALL users, whether they be on Windows or Mac.

The root of the issue is that Fuse is a 32-bit application. All PCs and Macs are 64-bit operating systems these days.

Fender needs to recompile Fuse to be a 64-bit application. That may mean replacing Microsoft Silverlight. As soon as they upgrade the current code to 64-bit our problems will be solved.

Thanks!

John

Fender Cyber Monday 2019
Post subject: Re: UPDATE: Fender, Update Fuse to be a 64-bit application!!
Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:37 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Thanks, for the update, John.

I do use an older computer and have used Fuse successfully for 7 years, but once set up with the 100 programmed settings, I have had no reason to change them with Fuse where others may. I might tweak with the on-board amp controls.

The exception being the EXP-1 Expression pedal, which requires Fuse to calibrate and make changes. That too, once set, has not required Fuse by me since initial setup; but, there are occasions where Fuse may come into play (such as change of EXP-1 pedal feature or unlikely switching to a different compatible Mustang amp).

So Fuse is an integral part of the Mustang amps; but, generally, the amp is pretty much independent and very robust as is.

An older OS will do the job, but with risks and limitations, for how long is anybody’s guess. That goes for cars worth tens of thousands of dollars too. :wink:
Tube amps by themselves are sweet, but most of them by themselves are very basic. The Mustang alone (without Fuse with or without 32 bit or 64 bit) ) is limited in some situations, but basic? Far from it. :wink:
FSB

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:19 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

johne1 wrote:
Support for Fender Fuse ended 1.5 years ago at Fender.

They told you that? I think I missed the official announcement.

Mustang GT was announced around May 2017.
Someone who bought a v2 Mustang amp the month before that announcement got about 8 months of Fender Fuse support before they pulled the plug, with no way of knowing that was coming.

This does not motivate me to invest in future digital products from FMIC. How about you, johne1? Do you feel like the people who opted for a v2 amp in the first few months of 2017 got screwed? The software support ran out before their warranty did. Unheard of and potentially illegal.

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:10 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Fender said they were caught like everyone else when Microsoft pulled the plug on Silverlight.

Anyone with a Windows PC who bought a Mustang in 2017 with anything but a new PC is probably okay. Mac's with a newer OS X version are out in the cold.

I will add here what I said in the Fender Introduce Yourself forum.

When Gibson was facing bankruptcy beginning approx. 2 years ago. I decided to look up corporate info on Fender to get an idea of their fiscal state. What I discovered surprised me. Fender's CEO at the time (2 years ago) was lower paid than practically every other CEO in the business. Recently, Anderton's had a video stating how shocked they were at Fender's ridiculously low margins in Europe.

Bottom line: I believe Fender is doing everything they can to stick to Leo's original vision of making musical instruments that are available to the masses, not just a select few. Make them as tools, not artwork. He said of his guitars: "It's a hammer. It's a tool.' So, if we have to ride this techno change with them, I opt for that over high prices like Gibson's been charging for years. We all saw how that turned out for them.

My $0.02 worth. Your mileage may vary. ;<)

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:39 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

ghost_of_strings wrote:
johne1 wrote:

Someone who bought a v2 Mustang amp the month before that announcement got about 8 months of Fender Fuse support before they pulled the plug, with no way of knowing that was coming.

This does not motivate me to invest in future digital products from FMIC. How about you, johne1? Do you feel like the people who opted for a v2 amp in the first few months of 2017 got screwed? The software support ran out before their warranty did. Unheard of and potentially illegal.

In this year of 2019, the gear of which we speak is rapidly being antiquated. John Mayer said recently that when he stopped taking his amp and pedalboard to sessions, he now gets called for 3X more sessions. The studios. like the bars, don't want big, loud amps anymore. The customers in the bars these days want to talk and have us in the background. Like it was 50 years ago, the bar owners just want us to help them sell alcohol, whatever that takes.

I got older and sick and had to quit gigging to go through chemo. That's when I decided it was time to do the home studio route. I wasn't about to stop playing music. Thanksgiving last year I migrated to Studio One DAW and plug-ins along with a Roland MIDI Keyboard Controller. My Strat sat here untouched for over a month. When I finally picked it up to record a guitar part, it felt weird. Especially considering I used to play it everyday.

I resisted the electronic side (beyond pedals, that is) for decades. Now I can play a Fender Rhodes from a MIDI keyboard. Back in the 70s we had REAL Fender Rhodes. You can't stop progress--or, at least, change. The kids like it because that's all they know.

My phone is obsolete every 2 years, so I'm not going to get too worked up about Fuse being done. I liked it and still do. I'd buy a cheap older computer if I really needed or wanted it that badly. Now I'm looking for plug-ins instead of pedals. They're a LOT cheaper, too. There's a silver lining in progress. I expect Fender will have to migrate that direction or become part of a very small niche market. Not near as many kids are taking up the guitar today the way we did in the 1950s and 60s.

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:12 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Things have changed for sure. My drums are miked (guitars and keyboard are stand alones including the Mustang), and all are connected to the PC. I also have access to a few Daws and software percussion. In reality I could not actually afford the abundance or quality of gear, top recording mike’s or studio facilities, or the highly capable drummer himself or herself. Yet here they are at home. Already recorded with rudiments that many would struggle with, easy to change or add, a variety of possibilities, accuracy, and time saving. It now sounds real (or synthetic) and not so much like an arcade machine. The mistakes are missing so we subliminally know it’s been surgically manipulated, and it puts on a boring performance on stage. No Ringo or Neil Peart there. On the other hand, no me either. Now there’s a show to be missed. :lol:
My inexpensive key board can be made to sound like a Steinway or a Hammond B3 with a Leslie. How do I know? I had the opportunity to play the real thing with mojo. That software is very good; but, even at concerts emulation can fool some of the people all of the time and some of the time, but, most often, not those who have experienced the real McCoy. The sampled pianos are generally excellent, however. IMHO.

Not only can I ditch the guitar hardware, go straight into my Lexicon Soundcraft board and PA, or have a plethora of possibilities with plugins, the convenience is outstanding. Or is it? Well, it can be once setup and tweaked.

I have more than average computer savvy; but, if anything, computers can also be time wasters. A tape deck in a control room in this day and age? Who woulda thought? How’s Fuse werkin’ for ya? The KISS principle works for me, and aside from choices and all, there are days when I just want to leave the next best update or edition behind. Great tool though,

I like and use it all, but I have had days when I would be happy to pull the plug on computers were they $100,000+ ones at work, be they dealing with business, or at home. I guess when you bring home your first power tool home it’s exciting. At other times you just want or need to hire a carpenter, and even he has restrictions dictated.

Live sound levels are often regulated and, even as a drummer and guitarist, I totally get it. I went to a family wedding, and you couldn’t have a conversation with the person seated beside you. The band was having no problem speaking to each other though. I think the amps were on 12. That’s krazy. :?
A guitar on a somewhat isolated beach and, when possible, a combo amp and maybe a combo pedal will suit me just fine, and I don’t care if you ignore me by sitting at a beach bar table sipping Zombies with your little umbrella and peanut shells.

Holey Smoley! Will ya look at that? The Rolling Stones’’ convoy just pulled in.

Hmm. Now that I think of it. Maybe, I’ll grab one of those umbrelly things for myself. Can’t wait to see Keef plug in to a laptop. Crank it up. :lol:
YMMV

Cheers!
FSB

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:22 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Yes, we gotta leave some mistakes in. And, dang, the kids are EQing and compressing everything so much. I miss the natural harmonic overtones. I agree, Where's Ringo and Neil Peart? But, hey! We still got Neil Young doing his analog thing. You go, Neil!

I never can forget walking out of Mom's Saloon in Pacific Beach, CA., after listening to a Cali band rock the place. In those days, I saw Van Halen at Mom's Saloon when they were still a club circuit band. I got in the car and turned on the radio and out sprang the most perfect sounding rock n roll. Too perfect. I didn't like it. Something was wrong with its sound. It was Boston. The very first digital LP. Now all the music sounds like that and we're used to it, but it sure sounded so perfect as to be inhuman at the time.

When it comes to live gigs, I'm not fussy about the most perfect sounding gear. Whether a cheap or expensive computer rig or pedalboard rig, I don't think it much matters when the audience is drinking it up and doing what they do. I think only other musicians hear the difference...and only if they're sober! Hehe

But would somebody please tell that kid to turn down the distortion on his Epiphone Les Paul?! I can't stand the muddy sound that comes from over-distorted humbucking pickups. Yuck. LOL

Anyway, thanks for the reply. You had me laughing and feeling like we were sitting down having a beer over a front porch conversation.

Rock on, brother!

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:57 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

johne1 wrote:
ghost_of_strings wrote:
johne1 wrote:

In this year of 2019, the gear of which we speak is rapidly being antiquated. John Mayer said recently that when he stopped taking his amp and pedalboard to sessions, he now gets called for 3X more sessions. The studios. like the bars, don't want big, loud amps anymore

I don't know what that has to do with Fender fuse, unless you like to make quick edits mid-set? Also, not sure what you think is big and loud, but my Mustang III v1 is fairy small and light. And loud? This one's special. It came with a volume knob!

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:19 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Yes, they told me that.

Here's where I called:

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation
Attn: Consumer Relations Dept.
17600 N. Perimeter Drive, Suite 100
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

TELEPHONE:

1-800-856-9801 (US Toll Free)
1-480-596-7195 (International)

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:49 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

johne1 wrote:
Yes, we gotta leave some mistakes in. And, dang, the kids are EQing and compressing everything so much. I miss the natural harmonic overtones. I agree, Where's Ringo and Neil Peart? But, hey! We still got Neil Young doing his analog thing. You go, Neil!

I never can forget walking out of Mom's Saloon in Pacific Beach, CA., after listening to a Cali band rock the place. In those days, I saw Van Halen at Mom's Saloon when they were still a club circuit band. I got in the car and turned on the radio and out sprang the most perfect sounding rock n roll. Too perfect. I didn't like it. Something was wrong with its sound. It was Boston. The very first digital LP. Now all the music sounds like that and we're used to it, but it sure sounded so perfect as to be inhuman at the time.

When it comes to live gigs, I'm not fussy about the most perfect sounding gear. Whether a cheap or expensive computer rig or pedalboard rig, I don't think it much matters when the audience is drinking it up and doing what they do. I think only other musicians hear the difference...and only if they're sober! Hehe

But would somebody please tell that kid to turn down the distortion on his Epiphone Les Paul?! I can't stand the muddy sound that comes from over-distorted humbucking pickups. Yuck. LOL

Anyway, thanks for the reply. You had me laughing and feeling like we were sitting down having a beer over a front porch conversation.

Rock on, brother!
I’ll toss ya a few more beers. After awhile a little liquid therapy can make anyone sound good. If ya can still hear.:lol:
Then again, sometimes with that stuff they call music, a loss of hearing might be a blessing. :lol: ROTFL

(Just kidding I’ve had a day’s total loss of hearing from naval guns long story short, and momentary ear damage from a Hiwatt amp some years back. I was lucky if one can call it that. Really nothing to laugh at.

The amp wasn’t as bad as the 4 inch guns. The Hiwatt just left blood on the pillow. :?
Never lost my hearing with an amp running Fuse though. But, I’m sure my Mustang IV could do the damage. and I’m suspicious of digital amps. Speakers with digital require a different tolerance as old audiophiles discovered. My guess is the ears handle digital sound differently, especially at high levels, but, I can’t say for sure. The Mustang IV, as others, can, at times, be uncomfortably loud at full volume depending on the environment. It does play fine at low levels though, which is beneficial compared to some amps.

Since this is about Fuse, I gotta say software can do some pretty amazing things without pushing the crap out of the amp, That’s pretty cool,

Fuse has/had a good thing going for organizing some of those user presets. Too bad MS didn’t have a good thing going for Fuse. Not surprised though, based on MS and their inherent security history with planned obsolescence or just plain incompetence. Call it what you will. It’s been here before, and it will show up again. That’s computers for you.

Anyone looking for AI to be the answer to everything? Doesn't Impress me one bit. As for Fuse . . . the value added falls into line with many other software and the expectations are historical, Not much new in that department.

Perhaps, another way to look at it is the Mustang amp of choice and Fuse cost less than some robust software that does what is intended. No guarantees or timelines are included for those pricey items either, sad to say.

It brings the old adage, “Nothing is irreplaceable.”

FSB

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:23 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Fender Strat Brat wrote:
Too bad MS didn’t have a good thing going for Fuse. Not surprised though, based on MS and their inherent security history with planned obsolescence or just plain incompetence.

Microsoft's fault? Hogwash. "Silverlight" was launched in 2007. In 2012, MS deprecated Silverlight for HTML5 in Windows 8. FENDER MUSTANG V2 WAS RELEASED IN 2013, FMIC CHOSE NOT TO READ THE WRITING ON THE WALL:

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/namm-2 ... ic-15-amps
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Silverlight

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:00 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

ghost_of_strings wrote:
Fender Strat Brat wrote:
Too bad MS didn’t have a good thing going for Fuse. Not surprised though, based on MS and their inherent security history with planned obsolescence or just plain incompetence.

Microsoft's fault? Hogwash. "Silverlight" was launched in 2007. In 2012, MS deprecated Silverlight for HTML5 in Windows 8. FENDER MUSTANG V2 WAS RELEASED IN 2013, FMIC CHOSE NOT TO READ THE WRITING ON THE WALL:

So, why are you here trolling and picking out just the text you can use to bash Fender?

Who do you work for--one of Fender's competitors??

Or maybe you're a pissed off ex-FMIC-employee??

Say what you will, it won't work. It's obvious all you're here for is to try and deliberately hurt Fender.

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:04 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

That's funny because I was wondering if you are a shill for Fender.

So let me get this straight:

1. Microsoft Depreciates Silverlight in 2012
2. Fender releases Mustang v2 in 2013, doesn't update Fuse to work with HTML5

When I point this out, I am a troll? Well speaking as someone who dropped $350 on one of these amps, I would say I have a right to complain.

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:48 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

ghost_of_strings wrote:
Fender Strat Brat wrote:

You make a good point, Ghost. As I’ve said elsewhere, I’m not an Apple fan but, like MS, Apple has some good and bad going for it. I can’t blame Apple for my purchases, nor can I blame MS for their misdirections, planned or not. I can’t blame them for low mileage on a Windows cellphone in my drawer that never benefited from Silverlight (I think MS marketing of Silverlight failed a smidge here without mobile application). MS has nothing to do with browsers that have issues with Silverlight, and I certainly can’t blame them for Silverlight’s low acceptance from the get go. MS did not force me to buy a Mustang amp with Fuse. I guess you could had say Fender followed NBC and other big players, and I along with others followed them. MS had nothing to do with it (as usual). They simply stood by on the sidelines. :roll:
I’ll let Wikipedia’s quote put it best:
“Internally, even proponents of the technology thought Extensible Application Markup Language as a concept was a bad idea from the start.”

Me too. So in a sense, I’m agreeing with Microsoft.

Whatta I know? Not a whole lot; but, I do know we can’t write this technology fiasco off as pilot error. :?
FSB

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:57 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you Johne1

Let’s hope Fender can sort out the issues with the 64bit, even if Fender could put on their download page for none Literate computer users to find where the software is installed and change to run in widows 7/8 in the properties before they even try to run the program.

Thanks for the support

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]