It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: G-DEC Start Up Problem
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:01 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Please. I need help on my G-DEC. It is failing to start up now. I have owned in for about 10 years, but seldom use it much except to tune my guitar strings, every month of so.

Today I tuned on the power and waited for it to load. It only took a couple of seconds for the screen to look normal, however, I noticed right away that there was No Sound coming from the amp. When I pushed the Tuner button, plugged in my guitar, there was No Movement in the Window.

I pushed the Tuner button again to turn it off. I hit the strings on my guitar and No Sound comes out of the amp. No sound from my guitar, and no sound from the settings U00-U40 through P49. I tried unplugging the guitar and plugging into the input plug on the Back Side of the G-Dec. Nothing. I have tried different guitars, different cords, and changed the volume settings on both the amp and the guitars. Nothing.

I removed the fuse, and that appears to be ok. I read some/most of these Fender Help Pages, and from one of the Fender Tech posts learned how to do a reset (holding down these three buttons: Drums/Save/Exit and then turning on the power switch. Does not appeared to have worked. I think that is my problem. G-DEC is not loading its program.

After the power comes on 1) the first screen shows: Fender / Loading Host / Loading DSPOS. After 1 second, the screen changes to show 2) G-DEC, version 1.02. That only stays on the screen for 2 seconds, then it turns to 3) U00 Rocking G DEC (but there is no sound which used to come out of the amp as soon as G-DEC had finished loading, and was ready to use/play.)

Further, I have discovered that if I power off the amp, and power it up again, the screen info is different. Then the only screen message is Fender / Loading Host. The screen flickers along with the Red Save Button. That is all that happens, the same message over and over again. Nothing ever gets loaded.

Is there anything else I can try? What do you think the problem is? Can this problem be fixed?

I would appreciate any ideas/suggestions/thoughts you may have. Thank you.

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: G-DEC Start Up Problem
Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:40 pm
Fender Staff

Dear jwdjwd,

Thanks for your inquiry. Holding down the 3 - buttons are what we would have suggested. If that doesn't resolve the issue we have no other suggestions. The G-DEC is no longer manufactured and is no longer field serviceable. Please let us know if we can assist you further.

Best Regards,

(800) 856-9801

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:08 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

Sounds like the "computer-brains" of the G-DEC are dead. If I was able to get the amp to process the input signal from my guitar, I could at least use the G-DEC as an amp/tuner. Do you know of any way to bring the input plug "alive"? I hope so. Can something be rewired inside the amp to bypass the computer unit that is "dead" and go straight to he speakers? It seems like a real shame to just throw the whole thing in the trash.

Thanks again,
Jim

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:35 am
Fender Staff

Dear jwdjwd,

Thanks for your inquiry. I would suggest you contact an Authorized Service Center and ask them if they can do what you want. Liability reasons prevent us here at the TSL from providing consumers with steps on going inside the Amp.

Although the Amp is probably out of warranty the ASC could still determine if your request can be accomplished and would provide you a quote, giving you the option of determining if you felt the cost was justified.

I'm providing a link below that will help you locate an Authorized Service Center near you.

We recommend contacting them to schedule an appointment prior to actually taking your Amp in for service. Please let us know if we can assist further.

http://www.fender.com/dealers/service-centers/

Best Regards,

(800) 856-9801

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:04 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you for your information, and your prompt response.

I will take your advice and see if I can find someone who can tell me if the modification to my G-DEC I suggested, would be something that can be done or not.

I sincerely appreciate your assistance in this matter.

Best of luck to you in all that you do.

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:16 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

are you sure you have got the amp set to speaker?