It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: G-DEC 3 15 speaker failure
Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:16 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Did anyone ever come up with a solution to the long-standing and regular failing (various posts going back years) where you remove your headphone jackplug from the G-DEC 3 15 and find the audio has not been handed back to the speaker? The headphones continue to work, but headphones are now the only way you can hear anything coming out of the G-DEC.

I guess the problem lies with the unsatisfactory nature of the rubbishy little 3.5mm socket on the face of the G-DEC. If anyone has managed to fit a more robust 1.4in socket somewhere on the 15's casing - anywhere, wired in any way that works and even with a manually-operated speaker-headphones switch-over if need be - I'd be delighted to hear how you did it.

(Between me uploading the above comments and me writing this paragraph I've realised that the speaker does work very, very quietly in the above situation. It is so quiet that I'd not noticed this in normal use at the other end of a guitar lead but by accident heard it when I thought to put my ear to the front-grille. And this is with the volume at 10!)

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: G-DEC 3 15 speaker failure
Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:13 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Look more a headphone jack failure than speaker failure or I'm wrong ?

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:02 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

C'est l'autre sens - maintenant je crois que l'emboitement de casque a ecouteurs n'est-ce pas le probleme... peut-etre.

Now that I've noted what's truly happening, I can report that without the headphones in use the speaker is actually producing sound, but very very quietly. A guitar is particularly quiet (almost inaudible unless you are leaning very close and there is no other noise in the room). The built-in backing tracks are slightly more audible, though hardly much more. And that's with the volume turned to maximum.

If you plug in headphones, the speaker quits and the sound is audible in a normal manner (with the volume dialled back to 4 or 5!) through the headphones. Unplug the headphones and the audio is indeed handed back to the speaker but at the almost inaudible volume described above.

So my assumption that the culprit is the G-DEC's headphone socket might be wrong, since it clearly does what it is meant to do – that is, it cuts out the speaker when the headphone jack is in, and hands audio back to the speaker when the headphone jack is removed. The volume in the headphones is correct, but the volume through the speaker is almost inaudible. With this update, does anyone have any ideas?

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:40 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Google ; Fender G- dec no output

You'll read few issues like your.
Here;

https://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=71332

http://www.fixya.com/support/t20540427- ... sound_from

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:27 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you for your links. Unfortunately, in engaging with the various topics and threads that ask about this problem, the 'Fender Technology Support Lab' (or sometimes 'Fender Staff') never seems to offer anything other than a sense of puzzled surprised each time this matter is raised... and it has been raised quite a lot, over the years. Further details of the symptoms are asked for so that Fender can get down to sorting it out but, beyond that asking, nothing more has ever happened as far as I can tell. The people who designed, built and sold us the G-DEC do not attempt to supply a solution to what is clearly a widespread problem with its product, nor even hazard a guess at what might be causing the problem so that we can work out an answer ourselves.

The Speaker settings being changed via the Utility menu from 'Guitar' to 'All' only applies to the G-DEC 3 Thirty. The Utility menu available on a Fifteen (mine) does not have a section for Speaker settings. And in any case that seems to deal with a problem that can occur when you try to use two inputs at the same time (eg: two guitars) and so is nothing to do with the headphone/speaker output switching difficulty we are talking about here.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:54 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I believe Fender Support used to advise inserting/withdrawing the headphone jack several+ times in a row to see if you can get it to hand back audio to the speaker all the way.

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:02 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

The main amp is muted when the headphones are inserted. Its unlikely that the switching in the jack is the problem unless its damaged or has broken solder. The jack switches a DC voltage, not a signal, so its much more reliable.
The two things that come to mind are a shorted Q6. This is a J113 JFET that mutes the main stage. Removal should get the speaker back. Replacement should get switching back.

A broken speaker magnet is a rare but similar failure. Grab the magnet and twist. If it moves, its bad. The voice coil is frozen up and makes little sound.