It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Difference between OLD G-DEC series and NEW G-DEC 3 series
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:21 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi!
I am trying to find difference between OLD G-DEC and NEW G-DEC 3 all night, but all i found is some new features which gdec 3 has ( usb, foot .... ).
My question is: is there any difference in amp simulations? New series has all same amp sims like old one, but is there any improvements in sound quality?

I have offer to buy old serie, i am really skeptic.

Fender Play February 2019
Post subject: Re: Difference between OLD G-DEC series and NEW G-DEC 3 seri
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:41 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

markolakicevic wrote:
Hi!
I am trying to find difference between OLD G-DEC and NEW G-DEC 3 all night, but all i found is some new features which gdec 3 has ( usb, foot .... ).
My question is: is there any difference in amp simulations? New series has all same amp sims like old one, but is there any improvements in sound quality?

I have offer to buy old serie, i am really skeptic.

As long as they have the SD/Card slot and use the FUSE software,
you will be able to update and keep current.

Not sure about old/new G-DEC-Thirty-3 series.
I believe there is just one and it was introduced during the past

"G-DEC 3 is current (introduced in North America Jan 2010 and released to Europe May 2010) and has different features to the original. Most notable change is the addition of MP3/WAV file playback, USB connectivity instead of MIDI and Fender FUSE software to program the amp from PC or MAC. This newer model comprises two versions 15 watt and 30 watt. The latter has stereo line outs for connectivity to sound reinforcement equipment."

I feel if your's does not have the SD-Card connector, then it is the older version
and they are different. I have purchased three of the G-DEC-3 Thirty.

Study up. Personaly, I suggest you only buy the new SD-Card featured G-DEC.
But, the others/olders are good amps, just not with all of the possibilities.
Like buying older TVs or Cell Phones or Cameras. Each new version adds something.
Toppscore 8)

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:30 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Just to clarify things, the older original G-DEC's had MIDI connectivity to a computer ONLY. The backing tracks on the original amps use the built-in MIDI synth to create the sound and the cannot make use of WAV files for backing tracks.

There is no USB connector and therefor you cannot connect the older version amps to the FUSE software.

Both the old and new versions of the '30' amps have SD card slots.

There are software preset editors for the older amps available on Fender's support downloads page but to use them, your computer must have MIDI in ports and out ports so that you can connect to the amp.

As far as differences in sound in the two model version, I couldn't tell you. I have an older G-DEC and a Mustang II, the Mustang has a hands down better sound to the older G-DEC but I don't know if that holds true for the newer models.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:12 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

p90sdude wrote:
Just to clarify things, the older original G-DEC's had MIDI connectivity to a computer ONLY. The backing tracks on the original amps use the built-in MIDI synth to create the sound and the cannot make use of WAV files for backing tracks.

There is no USB connector and therefor you cannot connect the older version amps to the FUSE software.

Both the old and new versions of the '30' amps have SD card slots.

There are software preset editors for the older amps available on Fender's support downloads page but to use them, your computer must have MIDI in ports and out ports so that you can connect to the amp.

As far as differences in sound in the two model version, I couldn't tell you. I have an older G-DEC and a Mustang II, the Mustang has a hands down better sound to the older G-DEC but I don't know if that holds true for the newer models.

Just for my info, the "old & new" versions of the G-DEC Thirty, both have the SD-Card slot.
So, what is the differences? Did not the "old" version get introduced in 2010?
Then when did the "newer" version ship?
Are there markings for version or revision or model changes?
PLMK. My "new" one was purchase this week.
But, how do I know it was not from "old" version inventory?
Thanks. Toppscore :)

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:02 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Toppscore wrote:

1.) If your amp has a USB port on it, it's the newer version. The older versions have no USB port.

2.) The older versions have MIDI in and out ports - the new versions do not. A MIDI port looks like a round 5 pin connector a little bigger around than a dime.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:40 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Guys, those things are just new features. I am talking about sound quality, about amp simulations and effects. You have more possibilities to twik with the sound, but what about distorsion types, are they same?

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:00 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

p90sdude wrote:
Toppscore wrote:

1.) If your amp has a USB port on it, it's the newer version. The older versions have no USB port.
2.) The older versions have MIDI in and out ports - the new versions do not. A MIDI port looks like a round 5 pin connector a little bigger around than a dime.

Are you saying that within the past two years when I got my G-DEC Blues & Country versions,
Fender has shipped G-DEC-3 Thirty 1x10 30w amps with and without the USB port?

Or, are you discussing the newer G-DEC's within the past two years all have the USB port,
and earlier pre-2009 G-DECs do not have USB ports.
Maybe all I have owned are the newer models.

Following is Wiki Info. Read the section in Blue.

The Fender G-DEC (Guitar Digital Entertainment Center) is a family of "teaching" and practice amplifiers, manufactured by Fender Musical Instruments Corporation, that all feature amp modelling and effects, drum/bass patterns, teaching and performance backing loops, internal synth with MIDI interface, tuner, phrase sampler. All amps are capable of reproducing convincing guitar tones from heavy metal to jazz to punk to country at the twist of a knob. The range of special effects available are wide ranging and connection to a computer via the MIDI interface is possible.
There are several different amplifiers to suit a range of budgets:
* The original G-DEC is a 15 watt device with an 8" speaker.
* The G-DEC Exec is a 15 watt amplifier with an 8" speaker but in three-color Sunburst maple cabinet, with an oxblood grille cloth and various accessories.
* G-DEC Junior is a 15 watt amplifier with an 8" speaker but sporting a simplified, stripped down control interface.
* G-DEC 30 is an uprated version of the G-DEC with more power, bigger 10" speaker, more effects, more memory for MIDI data.

* G-DEC 3 is current (introduced in North America Jan 2010 and released to Europe May 2010) and has different features to the original. Most notable change is the addition of MP3/WAV file playback, USB connectivity instead of MIDI and Fender FUSE software to program the amp from PC or MAC. This newer model comprises two versions 15 watt and 30 watt. The latter has stereo line outs for connectivity to sound reinforcement equipment.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:02 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

markolakicevic wrote:
Guys, those things are just new features. I am talking about sound quality, about amp simulations and effects. You have more possibilities to twik with the sound, but what about distorsion types, are they same?

So, I have a G-DEC with USB port purchased this week.
Are there sound quality or amp simulations & effects I should EXPECT to have?
And be concerned if these features are not there?

Toppscore :)

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:01 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Is there a matrix showing the features of all Fender products that have the GDEC name? I see guys claiming to sell a G-Dec 3 30 used, and it is the old model with midi. And I see people claiming to have a 50 watt model, when they see 50 watt INPUT on the back. Well it needs to have the watt output on the front Fender, hey, McFly!
I have 80 watts haha on my G-Dec 3 30, and the old model has 75. INPUT.

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:48 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

markolakicevic wrote:

There is a difference in the guitar sounds produced by the G-Dec and the G-Dec 3 Thirty. The older G-Dec used a lot more amp models as a base tone for the guitar, and then after you dialed in the amp tone, you added the effects which seem to be more in the digital modeling realm rather than the stomp box modeling that you get with the newer G-Dec 3 Thirty. I like the tone of the old G-Dec 30. The guitar amps and effects are very sweet sounding. I've dialed in about 30 of my own presets, and I still use my old G-Decs quite regularly. I have two, a G-Dec Exec, and a G-Dec 30. I recently acquired a G-Dec 3 Thirty, and I'm in the process of learning this amp as well as I've learned the older ones, but there is a big difference in the tones so far. The 3 Thirty, doesn't seem as warm sounding as the older G-Dec, but as I said, I'm still learning this amp. Maybe after I get some tones dialed in it may sound better to my ears. Right now, most seem harsh and over processed.

I'll post more as I make progress with the new amp and share some of my settings.

Harley 8)

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:56 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

HarleyHexxe,

You probably didn't notice, but you were answering a post that is almost 3 years old. :D

Jerry

'62 Jazzmaster/'78 Precision Bass/'88 Fender F250 acoustic/'07 Gibson Less Paul Classic Antique/'12 Squier Strat/'14 Squier VM Jaguar/'15 Classic 60s Telecaster/'68 Showman Reverb/'70 Bandmaster Cabinet JBL D140F speakers/'69 Super Reverb/'12 G-DEC 3-30

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:19 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I for one am really glad he didn't notice, Jerry. Five years after your post, I'm looking for the exact same info and it's *still* really hard to come by. Thanks, Harley!
- George

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:21 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi guys to get this question going again I have a particular question that hasn't been asked.

It looks like the old g dec 30 has more input outputs in the back/front available including some for converting/conecting it to a cabinet, line in/out, foot pedal, ect. I think the newer one has some of these but it looks like definitely not all.

Please clarify anyone that has both or knows the differences. I am looking to purchase right away.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:22 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Gdec Models
So addressing your ORIGINAL few questions, I think you were asking about:

1) THE BASIC SOUND DIFFERENCES BETWEEN MODELS, I'm typically thinking about the differences in the speakers and which one has Max Excursion (how far forward the speaker moves) that, in combination with the amount of volume (movable air inside the cabinet) what type of wood the cabinet is made of, and the diameter and number of tuning ports the cabinet has, each of those factors can play a vital role in how different models amplifiers can sound. But thats only the physics side of the coin.

2) The other side: THE DIGITAL/ELECTRONIC SIDE play a factor as well, in the overall marriage and scope of sound.
WHICH LEADS ME TO YOUR SECONDO QUESTION: Were the effects different sounding(improved or upgraded) are there anymore or any less effects/background tracks? THIS MAY HELP! For each model it talks about, it puts info on the screen: how many different guitar amplifiers are on it, effects, reverb, drum patterns, 14 second phrase sampler. It puts up on the video the Tech Spec for each one, as it goes through each one.

As they go through each model, they are useing that model amp, with guitar to showcase it, and all the background music was made with each amplifiers while talking about each amplifier. So anyway I hope this link will help clear up some questions you had from way back , and as far as the inputs and outputs, once you find one you like the sound of you can check out input/outputs online.
I use: ZZOUNDS.COM to buy my gear. you can get brand new equipment, your credit score doesn't matter. as long as you have a bank account for 6 months, you can make monthly payments up to a year (or 18 months) and once you make a first payment online they ship it to you most times same day or next day depending on when you order!

This video link I'm about to send you should be helpful Since it can be difficult to verbally describe the differences in sound between amplifiers, especially those from the same manufacturer. There's a video explaining the first four in the Q-DEC FAMILY.

I have played the first 4 G-DECs, that they show in the video), over the past few years,
I liked the very first G-Dec, it seemed to have a warmer sound to it.
I liked the G-DEC that the Rock-a-Billy guy was playing at the car show in the video too

But i ended up buying the 1st G-DEC, and still have it, it's in pristine condition. Has been in closet for 6 or 7 years, I borrowed a friends Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, he didn't come back for a looong time, didnt know what happened to him (he ended up getting arrested) didnt see him for years and years, he recently picked up his Mesa, thinking about selling my
G-DEC cuz I want to get a reissued Fender 68' silverface bandmaster.

Watch "Fender® presents the G-DEC® Family of Amplifiers | Fender" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/uQN1T72Lp34

HOPE THIS HELPS!!