It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: PreOut/Power Amp In on Fender Passport 500
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:08 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi,
Could somone please explain what the Pre Out / Power Amp In jacks are for and how/when to use them? Manual says Special "insert Y-cables" are required to use these jacks, but I don't know what they're for.
Would you be connecting an equalizer or effects processor as an input or an output?

thanks

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:40 am
Fender Staff

Hi,

That's exactly correct. You would use the pre-amp out/ power amp in to insert a bus compressor or EQ, etc into the audio path of the Passport unit. You can get Y-cables at any music retailer. It's simply a cable that has a TRS connection on one side and goes to two TS connectors on the other side. The way you would connect this would be to plug the TRS cable into the Passport then the send into the input of your EQ for example and the receive into the output of your EQ.

Hope this helps!

Ken

Research & Development
Fender Musical Instruments Corp.
www.fender.com

Proud to be a Fender band member since 1997

Post subject: Re: PreOut/Power Amp In on Fender Passport 500
Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:54 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Ok, so do you plug that male end of the Y into the PRE OUT/POWER AMP IN jack_ left OR right?

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:48 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

You don't want to plug a regular "Y" cable into these ports. You want one wired like the diagram in the manual shows. These are special cables though they are apparently common among professional sound engineers. The cables should come with labels and instructions as to what plugs in where, or if you are good with a soldering iron, make one like the diagram in the manual and label the plugs like they are labeled in the diagram.

As explained, this is for something that will modify the sound of the entire mix. Stereo EQ, compressor, or whatever. Most people will never use these ports. I haven't.

But if you want some sort of signal processor beyond what is built into this amp, these are the ports to include such a processor in the loop.

Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:34 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I was confused with the Power amp in/ Pre amp out thing also. I own several Fender amps with this feature. It's basically an effects loop. I've found to use it in a different way altogether. I play through a Digitech GNX 4 for all of my effects, which there are many, into a Fender Blues Deluxe. It never sounded good going into the channel one input. Then I isolated my pedals by using the effects loop. It was a bit better, but I still wasn't happy. After more research,, I found that by plugging my guitar into my effects, and then going from them right into the Power amp in jack? Pay dirt!! My effects have all the pre amp settings, and by going into the power amp in jack, I'm only using the power section of the amp, and not coloring the signal twice. In other words, I'm by-passing the pre-amp section of the amp. I hate the phrase "Modeling", but I suppose that's exactly what I'm doing, but after over 40 years of playing, and searching for that perfect tone, I feel I have found it. Too bad the GNX4 is obsolete now. I just bought another one, and another blues deluxe,, just in case. I also have 2 American Standard Strats! I feel like I'm set for life! Cheers! :D

Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:49 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

One last thing! If you you plug into the power amp in jack only, the presence, and reverb controls still work! All other preamp functions are Nil! (Basically, none of the knobs work.) The amp is effectively a power amp, and a speaker.

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:11 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have been looking for this information on the net (esp. Bing Video) with not much luck. As stated above, I want to bypass the preamp in my Fender combo amp, so that my pedals act as my pre-amp. The amp is solid state and I have an all tube preamp pedal. Id like just the tone created from the tubes. Can I connect my guitar to my pedal chain, then connect the output to the 'PWR In' jack?

Matt

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:43 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

You've posted to the wrong forum. It's like you are having a problem with a toaster and you are posting your question to a forum on food processors.

This forum is for the Passport, a portable mixer and speaker system. It's not a guitar amp.

You haven't identified what model of guitar amp you are trying to use. You should start by figuring out what the model is of your guitar amp and then looking for the Fender Forum focused on that model of guitar amp. Then, people who can answer your question will see it. They won't see it here, and people here generally won't know the answer to your question.

Good luck finding an answer. I'd answer it, if I knew, but I don't.

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:00 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Okay - when I put the query in the search engine this is the page that popped up. I didn't bother to check the title (oops), I just read the messages, then posted. Sorry. :wink: