It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Knobs on Fender Passport PA
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:13 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a weird problem with my Passport PA. I have to store it in the garage, where it gets pretty cool and pretty hot. I'm certain, because of the temperature, the knobs have gotten a sticky residue on them over time and it's really hard to get off. At the gig, it comes off on your fingers. Not cool!
Anyone else have this problem?
Fender is still using the same knobs on current production....according to Customer Service, but they don't have exact replacement ones available, for some reason.
I have found some that would work at tubesandmore.com, but they kind of ruin the cosmetics of the system.

Fender Cyber Monday 2019
Post subject: Re: Knobs on Fender Passport PA
Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:23 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

If something about the storage of the unit leaves a residue on the knobs, it might leave a residue elsewhere as well, including the internals. Such a residue might conduct electricity, or insulate temperature so that the system can't dissipate heat when operating. In other words, you may be shortening the life of the unit. Stickiness might be the least of your problems.

You might consider finding a better place to store the unit.

As for the stickiness, you might try some Goo-Gone or similar solvent in small doses applied experimentally with Q-Tips.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:54 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you for the response. I have kept the unit covered when not in use but still not air tight. I believe the problem is the rubber-like coating on the knobs and its' reaction to heat. (I have a coffee mug that reacts the same way in the dishwasher.) I have been able to remove the residue with.....yep, "Goo-Gone". It took me about a quart plus a LOT of elbow grease to do all 37 knobs.
I can't imagine all the musicians that have to store this unit someplace hot.....like the back of a car...in the heat.
It is curious that Fender is still putting the same knobs on current production. This is a wonderful unit otherwise!

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:31 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I know this post is a year old but I have the same problem and it’s driving me nuts! We are in a humid climate. Maybe that’s it, but ALL of the knobs are sticky and it’s gross.
Has anyone found a solution for this yet?

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:35 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I've a Passport Venue that I bought new in 2015. It's never been out of my home and it's been kept at approximately 78 degrees year round. The knobs are VERY sticky. Just thought I'd chime in. Hopefully Fender will see these complaints and use a different rubber compound. If anyone knows of replacement knobs that don't deteriorate like this I'd be interested in knowing about them. Thanks and happy musicianing.

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:16 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Funny you should mention that, just got back from playing a gig this morning and the knobs on my fender passport were completely sticky and mushy. I store my passport inside my house in a nice cool hall closet. I don’t think it’s a heat issue I think there’s something wrong with the way fender manufactured the knobs. The material seems to break down over time and get mushy and sticky.

Fender corporation, do you know about this issue? My passport is just a few years old. Rich

Post subject: Re: Knobs on Fender Passport PA "soft touch" plastic
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:49 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Yes, the goo is real. Its often called "soft touch" plastic. Its a silky coating with a gentle "give" to it, layered onto stronger, stiffer plastic parts. It often velvety, rubbery, or skin-like (cough, cough...ahem) texture that seems to lend an animistic or humanizing intimacy. To achieve this, manufacturers use something super creepy and carcinogenic. They can be either solvent-based or waterborne. Most of the time you can likely use another oil to clean off some of the older goo or dust & dander, but it will continue to degrade beneath that fresher layer until the whole coating is removed. Alcohol is good as a solvent for removing layers. But I neither know what Fender is using, nor which solvent might halt the degradation caused by years of oxygen, skin oils, sun, heat, etc. Im more curious if theres something in my house that makes everything melt more than at other homes... cause thats kind of scary. I live near a major metro airport, so maybe its the solvents in diesel oil. Charming. They should let us know on Fender manual so we can halt its progress, or for better maintenance. I would advice covering with a simple cloth, which Id never done. But, years in my closet will ruin vinyl clothes and they are packed in between plenty of cloth. I think perfume, and club smoke can be a strong culprit, I'll have days where all the trims on shoes and handbags degrades exceedingly fast over-night. But Id sure like to know exactly WHAT is degrading in the air. I already bought the amp, now let me know what I actually signed up for-- c'mon, Im an adult.

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:33 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Good evening everyone, well I sent a message to Fender and got a reply from Fender corporate.

It would appear that they are not willing to help and it becomes a bit of a do it yourself project. I was able to do all of the knobs on mine with hot water 409 and finally finished up with WD-40.
It was a sticky mess that only hot soapy water and Scotch- Brite could loosen up. Then finally Scotch-Brite and WD-40 to get the remainder off. Huge PITA.
Took about three hours

Here’s what they had to say about the knobs :

“Hello Rich,

Thank you for contacting Fender.

Yes, we are aware that some of those knobs tend to get sticky after a while. However, as much as I'd like to help, we don't carry replacement parts for Passport Systems. They should just pull straight off with a little pressure in case you'd like to remove them and somehow refinish them. Sorry I can't provide more assistance.

Thanks for writing in.

Regards,

Jason Garbinski
Consumer Relations /U.S. Direct Sales Representative
Fender Musical Instruments Corp.
17600 N. Perimeter Drive, Suite 100 Scottsdale, AZ 85255
Telephone: 480-845-5137
Fax: 480-367-5262”