It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Using a monitor with Passport 500
Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:33 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I've got a small Fender powered monitor running with my Passport and use the Pre Out/Power Amp In to run the line to the monitor. It works okay. However, if I push the plugs all the way into the inputs, they will cut off the opposite channel. So I have to pull them out just a bit to get the signal to work correctly. It's okay but I think it is adding a slight buzz/hum to the output. Questions are: is this the best way to set up a monitor? Would some other kind of plugs solve the cutoff and therefore the buzz/hum issue? I know Fender says you don't need monitors with the Passport and you can set up the speakers behind you but some places I play this isn't really possible as I'm frequently backed up to a wall and have to put the speakers on the side or even in front of me (small bar gigs).

d

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:52 pm
Fender Staff

Hi,

An easy way for you to use your monitor speaker would be to come out of the stereo out (1/8" jack) of the Passport going into your monitor. You can use the volume control of the stereo out to adjust the volume of your monitor too.

The pre-out/power amp in is really meant to "slave in" an EQ or compressor into the Passport audio path using a send/receive cable.

The stereo out works much better, just get a 1/8" to I am assuming 1/4" cable or connector.

Hope this helps!

Ken

Research & Development
Fender Musical Instruments Corp.
www.fender.com

Proud to be a Fender band member since 1997

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:20 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Great Ken thanks. I'll tryi it.

Post subject: Re: Using a monitor with Passport 500
Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:11 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Similar problem. My Passport has a stereo 1 and stereo 2 and a tape out. Which one would I plug the monitor into? Thanks! I have a 250.

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:14 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

The Passport 250 and P250 are very small PA systems that were not designed to be used with monitors. The idea behind the design is that you'd put the main speakers behind and above the performers far enough off-axis to not feed back, but placed so you can hear exactly what the crowd hears.

That said, if you want a line-level output for a powered monitor, you need to get that signal from the Tape Out. As inconvenient as having two RCA ports as your signal source, that's it for that unit. You need adapters to go from it to whatever your monitor takes.

My wild guess is that you've been using a 1/4" TS instrument cable (and hoping that you have NOT been using a 1/4" TS speaker cable). The port you've been plugging into is a 1/4" TRS port with an "In" and an "Out" signal both going through connectors in that same port. It's not wired like anything else you've ever used in your life. It's intended for a special cable designed exclusively for connecting an in-line effects box, like a graphics equalizer. You do NOT want to use the port you've been using. Bad mojo. Zzzt. Zzzt. Poof. Sizzle, then Perpetual Silence.

Your PA system becomes a simple stone.

If you can't get adapters to use the Tape Out, then you can't connect a monitor. That's your one option, unless you use an external mixer and just use the Passport as a power amp to drive its speakers. Then you'd get your monitor mix from the external mixer.

The Passport's mixer isn't really made for monitors. That's why you don't see any monitors on any of the diagrams in the manual for the unit.

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:40 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Very clear and concise response. I get it. Leave well enough alone. Thank you for taking the time to explain my options.

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:48 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Ken,
Our band uses the P500 Pro;
I tried the 1/8 stereo out to 1/4 into a Kustom 100 watt powered 12" monitor,
We unplugged the mains to hear just what was coming out of the monitor.
Went through #1 channel. Had to crank up the monitor ALL the way
Got EXTREME reverb unless we turned it completely off.
Did I use the wrong 1/8" to 1/4" adapter cable? stereo/mono? does it make a difference. Help!

Respectfully yours,

George Zaferes

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:26 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

You are probably being bitten by the fact that 1/4" TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) is used two unrelated ways by audio equipment.

In The Beginning, 1/4" was only TS (Tip, Sleeve). It was for mono. One of these connectors was for the "hot" wire, carrying the signal, and the other was for "ground", the wire that continues the circuit so electricity can flow.

Then came Stereo. That's why they added the "Ring". It's for a third wire. Two different "hot" wires carried two different audio signals (one for each ear). One "ground" wire could complete the circuit for both.

But if you try to run two-wire mono signals across cables that are too long, then they act like antennas, picking up noise from fluorescent lights, microwave ovens and other noise sources. Look at your XLR cables for microphones. They have three wires. One is "hot". One is "ground". The third is "shield". This blocks noise from entering the signal. They call this "Balanced", and started calling the two-wire cables "Unbalanced".

So, if one end of your cable is plugged into three wires for Stereo and the other end of the cable is plugged into three wires as Balanced Mono, this is a bad thing. Your Passport's Stereo Out is Stereo. Your powered monitor's input is Balanced Mono. This is a bad thing.

You need something in the middle to "mono-ize" your signal. I don't know of something specific to point you to, but that is almost certainly the core of your problem.

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:32 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Having these issues and wishing to run my 2 Peavey passive monitors off my Passport 500 Pro, my research did reveal need to drive the monitors with a separate power amp first, but also, in response to the last poster regarding what else needs to monocize the stereo signal, calls to Sweetwater, Fender, and Peavey seem to point to a Whirlwind isopod: http://whirlwindusa.com/new-products/isopod/. Plug your stereo line into the isopod to get your mono XLR out for input into your powered monitors or power amp for your monitors. Testing it out this week. Cheers!