It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender Passport is loud. Can I limit the volume?
Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:37 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Weird question to ask on here but....
Is there a way to limit the volume on the Fender passport 250?
We use it at the house for karaoke and sometimes it gets turned up too loud.

Is there a way to safely,but discreetly, limit the volume?

Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: Fender Passport is loud. Can I limit the volume?
Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:29 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

While the master volume knob is the thing that sets the overall volume, and there is no secret second volume control that limits how loud the unit can be cranked to, I suggest three approaches to the problem:

1. Hide one of the speakers. If only one speaker it connected, it doesn't play any louder than it would if the other was there, and half as many speakers is half as loud.

2. Some models of Passport 250 (the P250 and the PD250, but not the PD250 Plus) have a control called "VIP". I'm guessing this is an acronym for "Voice Input Priority". Basically, when this is set to zero, the mixer works just like you'd expect, but if you crank this all the way up, then when a signal is fed to channel 1 (like someone speaks into a microphone plugged into channel 1), then everything else is turned down.

The design idea is that you are playing background music at a wedding and now you want to get up and make a toast. You talk into the mic and the background music gets really quiet. You can control how much this happens by how high you crank the VIP knob.

So, you can use this for other purposes. If your karaoke singers are screaming into the mic in order to be heard over the music, then subtly turn up the VIP a bit and the louder they sing, the quieter the background becomes, encouraging them to back off a little and sing not quite so loud as to drown out the music.

3. Walk over and turn down the Master Volume and explain to people that this is getting too loud. Be bold. Your neighbors will love you for it.