It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Passport pd-250 power supply ps/amp bad
Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:29 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, just trying to fix my passport pd-250.
I keep getting a protect light on my unit, so I did a little investigating on my own. After removing screws etc, I was able to be to the back of the power supply and check it. When i was powering it up I look at the power supply and saw a coil on the right"if you are looking from main control board left to right" a coil in was sparking, So it look likes the main power supply is going bad on the board after i look at the schematics. After more research I found out that the part is not sold anymore, so my next is to the repair myself. My question Is it worth trying to replace the power supply on passport pd-250 or is it just junk?

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Passport pd-250 power supply ps/amp bad
Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:28 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

To trouble shoot a power supply you must read voltage. How are the voltage?

Passport look unrepairable, no available parts ; often read on forums

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:03 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

One man's junk is another man's treasure. So, the real question is: "Is this my junk or is it my treasure?"

It would be my junk, because my troubleshooting ends when I can't replace a blown out component. If repairing power supplies using alternative parts is an interesting puzzle for you, it could be your treasure.

So, do you use it much? When you used it, was it everything you wanted it to be, or was there some feature you've wished it had? More power, maybe? or more channels? or did you wish it ran on batteries?

So, if you've used it a lot and you are good at repair work and it was ideally suited to your needs, then fix it. If it wasn't really ideal, you might look around for something better suited to your needs. Use this component failure as an excuse to upgrade to something else.

I started out with a Passport 300, then kept that and added a Passport 500, often linking them to have four speakers. Then I wanted a separate monitor mix, so I got an 8 channel Mackie line-level mixer and still used the Passports as power amps and speakers. Then I got a 12 channel Mackie line-level mixer and merged them to get 18 channels (you have to use two from one to link into the other), and still used the Passports.

Then I put that entire setup in storage to get a Mackie DL1608 mixer run by an iPad, and I got Fender Expos for the main speakers, and got powered floor monitors (I forget the brand).

I still have the Passports and would like to sell them. Interested in a 300 or a 500?

Then I got a Mackie D32R, and I doubt I'll ever buy another mixer. I don't really want to do anything it can't do.

So, the Passport 300 is still pristine, and the 500 is fine, except that the stereo line out port doesn't seem to work anymore. Since I always fed the 300 into the 500, it didn't bother me that I couldn't get a line level signal out of the 500.

Just let me know...

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:49 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

OP - you sound pretty knowledgeable with electronics repair, so of course play at your own risk. I just think it bears repeating: Only service a power supply if you REALLY know what you're doing.

I repair computers for a living. I've been doing it for literally decades. BUT I would never open a computer power supply. I leave that work to people who are qualified to repair power supplies, and that's not me. We rip and replace.

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:31 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

One quick reminder, just in case you don't know:

Power supplies generally convert AC power (which pulses) into DC power (which is smooth), since electronic stuff uses DC power and can't tolerate briefly being turned off 120 times a second, which is effectively what AC power does. To smooth out that "off" time, power supplies use potent "capacitors".

Think of a capacitor as a battery that charges up really fast, and discharges really fast. It can hold its charge for days. And if you happen to touch the wrong connectors with something conductive, like a tool, or maybe your finger, it could discharge through your body to the ground, possibly passing current through your heart and killing you, since its discharge is many times more powerful than the tiny little current your body uses to tell your heart when to beat.

So, like the first guy said who responded to your request, if you don't have a high confidence level of exactly what you are doing, power supplies tend to be something best thought of as a unit, not to be opened. Since most people value continued life more than they value a revived Passport PD-250, you might want to take that under consideration.

Just sayin'.