It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Passport troubleshooting
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:49 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Passport PD-250 Plus suddenly doesnt have sound going to speakers.

Bought the unit new about 10 years ago, been working perfect for years. I always treat it gently, incl. use of a pro power unit to protect the electricity going to the Passport and a couple of Shure lav units. Main usage is for scout troop/pack meetings in a small VFW hall. Was working fine during our last pack meeting, shut it down and packed it up like normal. Went to use it this month and no sound from the speakers. Powers up, green light LED as normal, but no sound to the speakers via the jacks on the back. I checked fuse and it's not problem. I can get sound from the stereo out (RCA to 3.5mm) to a test speaker, and verified that line inputs for mics/CD/wireless unit all work fine.

What is next thing to check? Is this a dead preamp issue?

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Passport troubleshooting
Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:47 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I follow many post about Passeport issue, all the answer was not very good.

If fuse is good and speaker's wire and connector are good, nothing you can do except to see a good tech or buy a new one.

Could be a power supply issue, preamp, power amp......

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:45 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

You said you have a Passport PD-250, and you say the speakers are plugged into jacks "on the back", but according to the owner's manual, the speaker output jacks are on the front panel. See the illustration on Page 7 in the manual:

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... _PD250.pdf

It should be plugged into "Speaker Out/Main" and "Speaker Out/Mon.". That unit can be confusing in terms of where to plug the speakers in, so make sure you got this one right.

Assuming that's not the problem:

It sounds less like a pre-amp problem than a power amp problem. Since the headphone jack works, that means sound is going in okay and mixing okay, so the signal made it through the pre-amps. The signal is disappearing somewhere between the line-level signal going out of the mixer and the speakers.

So, either there's a broken connection between the mixer and the power amp, or the power amp isn't getting power, or your cables aren't working (or are plugged in to the wrong ports).

The easiest thing to test is the cable. Are you using the original speaker cables? If you replaced them with instrument cables, since they look the same and have 1/4" plugs, just like speaker cables, then the tiny wires inside the cables could have burned out, or you could have bad solder joints in the cables, or the higher resistance of the tiny wires could have fried your power amp. Instrument cables look like speaker cables, and they plug into the same ports just fine. They just don't function like speaker cables. The wires are wrong.

In any case, get a cable tester, or find something else to plug those speaker cables into and make sure they work. That's the easiest test and the cheapest thing to fix.

If the cables check out, make sure the speakers work. Plug them into something else that should make sound.

If you confirm that using other equipment, the cables and the speakers work fine, then either your power amp is blown, or there's a broken connection somewhere inside the unit. That implies finding a repair facility. Do not try this at home. Seek a professional.

Or assume that you got ten good years out of the unit and maybe it's time to look for a replacement. Less hassle. More money, and maybe even better features. There are a lot of good choices out there now, from Fender or from Mackie or Yamaha, etc.

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:10 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

ContraCaller wrote:
You said you have a Passport PD-250

PD-250 Plus

Jacks in rear:

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:45 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

OP wrote ;

" Was working fine during our last pack meeting"

So he know where to plug speakers :lol:

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:41 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

osmack wrote:
I checked fuse and it's not problem. I can get sound from the stereo out (RCA to 3.5mm) to a test speaker, and verified that line inputs for mics/CD/wireless unit all work fine.

What is next thing to check? Is this a dead preamp issue?

The connections on this device are very simple and you've been setting it up for a long time. 'User error' is probably not the problem. IMO, most likely dead power amp issue, although it's not impossible we are missing something.

It looks like you can't find one of these new anymore. I found a used one on Reverb.com for $400. But you might want to look at what model replaced this in the Fender line.

This is totally a matter of your preference, but if it were my problem, I would look at it this way:
-It's WAY out of warranty
-Not a super-high priced item
-You got about a decade of use out of it already

I would be shopping for a replacement.

I'm having trouble finding the specs for the Passport Plus, but it seems like this might be in the same range?

Fender Passport Event
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Pas ... -System.gc

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:04 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

According to the manual for the Passport PD-250, the speaker out ports are not on the back of the unit, as you describe, but instead are on the front of the unit.
See the graphic at the top of page 7 in the manual available here:

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... _PD250.pdf

Look for items "T" and "U" in the graphic. These are the speaker out ports.

If you are, indeed, plugging into the correct ports, then, yes, it's probably the power amplifier, not the preamps. The headphone jack gets the signal after the preamps, so if they weren't working, then the headphone jack would not be working. The power amp gets the signal after the headphone jack, so the problem could be in the power amps. There are two of them. It's odd that both would burn out at the same time.

If they have blown, then, yes, it's probably time to replace the unit. You have lots of options these days, since Fender, Mackie, Yamaha and others make units with about this many inputs and about this much power output that are very portable. Some even work with batteries, if you don't have access to AC power.

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:44 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

It's like deja Vu all over again.

OP does not have a Passport PD-250. OP has stated that they have a Passport PD-250 PLUS. Look at the picture, it's pretty clear and no Photoshop was involved:

ghost_of_strings wrote:
ContraCaller wrote:
You said you have a Passport PD-250

PD-250 Plus

Jacks in rear:

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:37 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Apologies for the confusion. I didn't know the PD-250 Plus existed.

The photo looks like the power supply is set to 220 volts. For much of the world, that's appropriate, though here in the US, it should be set to 110 volts.

Beyond that, I read the manual. If you can hear sound from the headphone jack and not from the speakers and everything is plugged in as per usual, I don't see a reason to not get sound out of the speakers. The CD player is an added element, but there's nothing about the controls that would put sound to the headphone jack that doesn't make it to the speakers.

So, the problem is somewhere between the mixer's line-level output (where the headphone jack ties in) and the speakers. Either the connection inside the unit between the mixer and power amps is bad, or both power amplifiers have simultaneously blown out, or both speaker cables have simultaneously gone bad, or both speakers have simultaneously gone bad.

Unless you are plugged into 110volt power with the power supply set to 220...

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:17 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

no worries, this is the result of Fender's ongoing challenges with naming products. Brought to you by the company who made a guitar called "Mustang" and then made and amp called ..... "Mustang".

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:40 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I apologize for missing "Plus" in the name of the model. I didn't know that model exists. I looked up the manual, and yes, speaker plugs in the back. Got it.

Okay, here's the details of what you know and what you don't know:

1. You say the headphone jack works. You can hear the sounds in headphones that you want to come out the speakers. That tells you that the preamps are working. If they were not working, no signal would make it to the headphone. Ditto for the mixer. The signal is successfully getting from the sound source through the preamps and through the mixer. The output from the mixer goes to the headphone jack.

2. The failure has to be somewhere along the signal trail after the mixer. Possible failures are:

A. There's a connection between the mixer and the power amps. That could be disconnected. Note that there are TWO connections, so both connections are failing, if this is the problem.

B. The power amps could be damaged. Again, there are two of them, so whatever is causing one power amp to fail also has to be causing the other one to fail. In Stereo mode, one is powering the left speaker and the other powers the right. In Mono mode, one is powering the main speaker and the other is powering the monitor.

C. The connections between the two power amps and the two ports in the back could be damaged/disconnected. Again, this is a redundant error. A single failure would not kill both speakers.

D. The ports themselves could be damaged or internally disconnected. Again, you have two of them, so a single point of failure does not exist.

E. The cables could somehow not be pushed in all the way. This is the least likely problem, since you can easily see whether the plugs are fully inserted, and I doubt you would leave them as much as 1/4" less than fully inserted, which is what it would take for this to fail.

F. The cables themselves could be damaged, or you could be using replacement cables that don't really work as speaker cables. Again, this is unlikely, but you didn't mention whether or not you were using the original Fender cables. If you were using an Instrument cable as a replacement for a speaker cable, then this does become more likely, because the thin wires of an instrument cable were never built to take the higher amperage of passive speakers. They are built for milliamps, not amps. You could easily fry both cables if you have replaced the speaker cables with instrument cables.

G. The connection at the speakers or the speakers themselves could be failing. This is highly unlikely, but this is part of the signal path.

H. While I don't think this is true for the Passport, I know that some devices disable speakers when you plug in headphones. You might at least try this without the headphones plugged in. In devices that do disable speaker output when headphones are plugged in, a faulty headphone jack can kill the speaker signal.

I hope this helps.