It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Passport troubleshooting
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:49 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Passport PD-250 Plus suddenly doesnt have sound going to speakers.

Bought the unit new about 10 years ago, been working perfect for years. I always treat it gently, incl. use of a pro power unit to protect the electricity going to the Passport and a couple of Shure lav units. Main usage is for scout troop/pack meetings in a small VFW hall. Was working fine during our last pack meeting, shut it down and packed it up like normal. Went to use it this month and no sound from the speakers. Powers up, green light LED as normal, but no sound to the speakers via the jacks on the back. I checked fuse and it's not problem. I can get sound from the stereo out (RCA to 3.5mm) to a test speaker, and verified that line inputs for mics/CD/wireless unit all work fine.

What is next thing to check? Is this a dead preamp issue?

Fender Play February 2019
Post subject: Re: Passport troubleshooting
Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:47 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I follow many post about Passeport issue, all the answer was not very good.

If fuse is good and speaker's wire and connector are good, nothing you can do except to see a good tech or buy a new one.

Could be a power supply issue, preamp, power amp......

Post subject: Re: Passport troubleshooting
Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:45 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

You said you have a Passport PD-250, and you say the speakers are plugged into jacks "on the back", but according to the owner's manual, the speaker output jacks are on the front panel. See the illustration on Page 7 in the manual:

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... _PD250.pdf

It should be plugged into "Speaker Out/Main" and "Speaker Out/Mon.". That unit can be confusing in terms of where to plug the speakers in, so make sure you got this one right.

Assuming that's not the problem:

It sounds less like a pre-amp problem than a power amp problem. Since the headphone jack works, that means sound is going in okay and mixing okay, so the signal made it through the pre-amps. The signal is disappearing somewhere between the line-level signal going out of the mixer and the speakers.

So, either there's a broken connection between the mixer and the power amp, or the power amp isn't getting power, or your cables aren't working (or are plugged in to the wrong ports).

The easiest thing to test is the cable. Are you using the original speaker cables? If you replaced them with instrument cables, since they look the same and have 1/4" plugs, just like speaker cables, then the tiny wires inside the cables could have burned out, or you could have bad solder joints in the cables, or the higher resistance of the tiny wires could have fried your power amp. Instrument cables look like speaker cables, and they plug into the same ports just fine. They just don't function like speaker cables. The wires are wrong.

In any case, get a cable tester, or find something else to plug those speaker cables into and make sure they work. That's the easiest test and the cheapest thing to fix.

If the cables check out, make sure the speakers work. Plug them into something else that should make sound.

If you confirm that using other equipment, the cables and the speakers work fine, then either your power amp is blown, or there's a broken connection somewhere inside the unit. That implies finding a repair facility. Do not try this at home. Seek a professional.

Or assume that you got ten good years out of the unit and maybe it's time to look for a replacement. Less hassle. More money, and maybe even better features. There are a lot of good choices out there now, from Fender or from Mackie or Yamaha, etc.