It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: P250 Channel imbalance?
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:08 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

My P250 seems to have an imbalance issue. The right channel is markedly louder than the left channel. I checked the Pan is centered on every input and that the master out is equal. This happens regardless of a stereo or mono input. I have changed speaker cables in case there was an impedance issue. Anybody have any clues?

LeeHimself

Fender Play October 2018
Post subject: Re: P250 Channel imbalance?
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:57 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

The P250 is "versatile" with a lot of places to plug stuff in and a lot of places to adjust stuff, so it's easy to accidentally do something that leads to this problem.

This means that you need to isolate the problem. Right now, you don't know whether the problem is the speaker or the cable or the mixer.

So, the "right channel" is louder. Swap the cables where you are plugging them into the mixer. Did the volume difference switch sides? If so, the problem is at the mixer, not the speaker or cable. If the volume difference did not shift, then the problem is the cable or the speaker. So, swap cables at the speaker end. That will tell you whether the problem is with the speaker or the cable.

If the problem is with the mixer, make sure you are plugging into the right ports. It would be easy to accidentally plug the left speaker into a line-level port instead of a speaker port. That would make it really, really quiet. Like, "headphone speaker" quiet.

Page 7 in the manual shows you where to plug the speakers in. Here's the manual, if you don't already have it:

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... t_P250.pdf

If you are plugging any speaker into a port that has a white background, you are plugging it into a line level output instead of a speaker port. Nothing will stop you from doing that. It's a 1/4" jack, just like a speaker port, but it does not have an amplified signal. You want one speaker plugged into a dark-colored (red?) Left/Main port and the other one plugged into a dark-colored (red?) Right/Mon port. (The manual is black and white, so I can't tell what the color is, but I'm guessing it's not grey.)

You could plug both speakers into red Right/Mon ports, since there are two of them, but then you should hear the same volume out of both speakers, and you'll get half the volume the mixer can produce, because there are two 125 watt power amplifiers, which combine to give you 250 watts for the whole system. One is the Right/Mon amp and the other is the Left/Main amp.

This is an early model of the Passport. Later models are less versatile and more simple to operate. The unfortunate thing is that since it the P250 has lower wattage than the others, then it's chosen more often by people with less experience with sound equipment, who need simplicity more than versatility.

So, your task is to figure out the one way you want to use it, configure it for that one way, and remember to turn off all the features you don't want to use (like most people want the VIP set to 0).