It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post subject: FMIC Puts Genz Benz On The Shelf
Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:04 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Genz Benz is dead in the water, and has joined the 'mothball fleet' along with SWR, and SUNN.

2016 Rumble 200 Combo
One day they shall name a GREAT city after me, and they shall call it LINNINGRAD

Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: FMIC Puts Genz Benz On The Shelf
Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:58 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I can't speak to the bass-amp side of the house but in the case of FMIC's meager attempt to resurrect the Sunn label, both guitar-amp models were dismal failures. Neither sounded like a genuine Sunn design by any criteria of comparision and both were summarily dropped from the catalog like the red-headed stepchildren they were.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:25 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
Why am I not surprised at this move at all. They had Sunn going for just long enough to use the 300 watt tube head design for a Fender head. And then shortly after that, "the Sunn set". :roll:

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:22 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Products have to sell well enough to keep themselves afloat. Although 'The Great Recession' is officially over, businesses continue to shut down. Eden seems to be really struggling to stay alive. For the life of me I can't figure out why Ampeg wasn't dead and buried years ago.

2016 Rumble 200 Combo
One day they shall name a GREAT city after me, and they shall call it LINNINGRAD

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:06 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

linnin wrote:
For the life of me I can't figure out why Ampeg wasn't dead and buried years ago.

Or Acoustic Control Corporation as well.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:15 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Some product names sell better outside of North America. The Ampeg Cabs are doing pretty well all around.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:19 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

This doesn't surprise me at all. It's just corporate business as usual. Buy it up just to shut it down and get rid of any "competition." The funny thing is that Genz Benz just put out two different 500 watt combos that looked interesting (a 15" and 2x10" speaker configurations) and weren't uber expensive, either. I guess either of those will be buried before they really had any chance to have some real world testing.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:38 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Yeah the Genz Benz Contour 500 combos were introduced at 2012 NAMM and never took off. They have been closed out at a couple of e-tailers for $360 shipped. That's a steal of a deal, but they are all gone now. Some folks love them, and others have turned right around and put theirs up for sale at a loss. I'd rather have a 2nd generation Rumble 350 combo for $350 {from Sweetwater} anyday. I'm sure they won't last much longer.

2016 Rumble 200 Combo

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:46 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Yeah, I guess they just came out at the wrong time. Last time I looked, Elderly music had a Contour 500 for sale discounted, but It's been a while since I checked, so it could be gone now. Speaking of Rumble 350's, AMS sold their last one the other day. So whoever still has them, that's what's left. Either that, or the used market.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:43 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I never understood why they shelved SWR. I played regularly in the past with two different bassists who had them and those rigs always delivered reliable performance and a solid bottom end.

Arjay

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:45 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Retroverbial wrote:
I never understood why they shelved SWR. I played regularly in the past with two different bassists who had them and those rigs always delivered reliable performance and a solid bottom end.

Arjay

The sales numbers probably weren't there though. I thought SWR had a better across the board, bass amp line up then Fender did.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:15 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I'm willing to bet that it had to do with them being much more expensive compared to other products that offer more "bang for the buck." That, and they just missed the boat with other bass amp trends, I suppose. It seems like amplifiers are like fashion. :P

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:57 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

And Heavy! The SWR Redhead was/is 105 pounds! and over $1,000.00 at a discount. You can see the SWR influence on the 2nd generation Rumble combos. 350 combo looks exactly like a Redhead (400 watts & 2x10) right down to the front bottom slot port. Same thing with SWR BlackBeauty (350 watts 1x15) and Rumble 150 combo.

SWR failed to adapt to changing market demands or command a profitable market niche.

Genz Benz just priced themselves out of the market. They sounded great, and their cabs were excellent sonic designs.

2016 Rumble 200 Combo

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:38 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Exactly. I guess at one time, they were what was considered top shelf, but tastes do change as well as technology. So do budgets, especially if the economy is bad. Speaking of which, what's amazing to me was the prices of Kustom amps back in the late 60's. I was looking at old catalog scans from '67 or '68 on a vintage Kustom website and those stacks were listed around $1300 or something like that. I imagine that was a lot of money back then (not exactly cheap these days, either.) How in the hell did people afford those unless you were Led Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix famous?

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:46 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I remember when Sunn introduced their first-generation line of solid-state Coliseum amps back in '71. The full bass stack (320W head, a pair of 118 cabs) retailed for about three thousand bucks!

:shock:

Arjay

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next