It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 904 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
Post subject: Re: Hartke HD75
Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:11 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
At that time, bootlegs were allover. I had a Jethro Tull one that was marginal.

Fender Play November 2019
Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:02 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Oddly enough, I've heard that there were quite a few Beatles bootlegs out there. I imagine those must have been the most difficult in getting any decent recording of, because of the primitive PA, probably recording equipment, and the incessant screaming, which apparently was so loud they couldn't even hear themselves for the most part.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:12 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
Oddly enough, I've heard that there were quite a few Beatles bootlegs out there. I imagine those must have been the most difficult in getting any decent recording of, because of the primitive PA, probably recording equipment, and the incessant screaming, which apparently was so loud they couldn't even hear themselves for the most part.

That's probably very true about The Beatles bootleg albums. They did ok though even with the minimal recording equipment out at that time.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:49 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Well, I suppose if it weren't for them, we might not have the advancements we do with amplification and PA gear we have these days. They had to make stuff more efficient, to keep up with the crowds. It's kind of weird though how people reacted the way they did to The Beatles. I suppose it was the right place at the right time, and it was like opening a Pandora's Box. Well, you know more than I do, since you were around at the time. I always imagined the 1950's to be kind of uptight and rigid, then all of the sudden that showed up and changed everything.

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:47 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yep for the 50's somewhat, but the 60's sure made up for that. That's when a lot of the bootlegs started to get going, as well as the electronics advancements.

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:13 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

It was an entire cultural thing that happened. It's amazing what happened even from 1960 to 1964, alone, much less later on.

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:06 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
It was an entire cultural thing that happened. It's amazing what happened even from 1960 to 1964, alone, much less later on.

Hell YES! You would've loved it! IT WAS GREAT!!! Image

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:29 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

It looked like it was. 8)

By the way, how's the Hartke working out with the hollow body setup? How are those two elements working together?

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:37 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
It looked like it was. 8)

By the way, how's the Hartke working out with the hollow body setup? How are those two elements working together?

Fantastic. I been looking forward to play whenever I can, for as long as I can. I'm totally satisfied with it. Image

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:59 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

That's great to hear. I imagine that aluminum blended speaker gives that hollow body a different dynamic in it's tone.

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:06 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
That's great to hear. I imagine that aluminum blended speaker gives that hollow body a different dynamic in it's tone.

It really does, and I still contend the size of the 12" driver is special. The dynamics of the cabs dimensions, and the excellent Hartke EQ. A fantastic package. Things really have worked out great, bass, and amp combined. I heard it while playing yesterday, the driver is about broken in as it's going to get.

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:24 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

What's interesting about that is it's like combining vintage with modern, more or less. You have a hollow body, which was prevalent in the early to mid 60's, and the Hartke stuff using aluminum materials, which they didn't have back then. The funny thing about that is the Hartke stuff goes back 35 years, at least, so I guess it's not technically modern.

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:49 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
What's interesting about that is it's like combining vintage with modern, more or less. You have a hollow body, which was prevalent in the early to mid 60's, and the Hartke stuff using aluminum materials, which they didn't have back then. The funny thing about that is the Hartke stuff goes back 35 years, at least, so I guess it's not technically modern.

It's more modern than the 60's sounds concept, that's for sure. I don't think any of the whiz kids from back then even dreamed of an aluminum, paper combination driver.

I guess it can be said that hollow body basses come, and go like the wind. Players like Sir Paul, keep the mystic of them alive however. Sir Paul like us all, won't live forever, but his legacy as a Beatle with his Hofner bass is history chiseled in stone forever. Anyone who sees a photo, or saw Felix play in Mountain, saw a hollow body at its finest.

Now it's up to you Paul, to keep the legacy of the hollow body bass making music for the future. Get out there and strive for that MSG stage of your own! Image

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:17 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, I imagine the concept of aluminum bass speakers would have been like science fiction, but then again, I imagine a lot of things that came out in the 60's would have been like that, too, probably going back into even the 50's. Back then bass gear was pretty primitive, like the PA stuff was, as you well know, until you starting getting into the late 60's, with everything getting bigger and louder. The one thing I don't understand with Fender, as an example, their Showman amp made a better bass amp than the actual Bassman did. It had more power and a bigger cab to move more air. You'd think the Showman would have been the logical choice as the Bassman, but I suppose it doesn't matter, since you could plug into anything you wanted to.

I think everything comes and goes in circles, especially trends. 60's fashions often repeat themselves every once and a while, and there are a few bands around that are styled around that, including their sound, and then there's hybrids of that, which might take those elements, and add other stuff to it. I've seen some bands that look like they are straight of 1974, and they weren't even born yet. All they need is the van to complete the image. :P

I'd like to use that hollow body, although I think a better one would be more suited. Maybe someday I can upgrade it, but I guess I can still make it work out. At least I have a better amp to project it with now.

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:23 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Kustom Naugahyde amps. Red with gold flakes in them. JBL, or Altec Lansings in them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 904 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next