It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 905 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 61  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 61  Next
Post subject: Re: Hartke HD75
Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:35 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
There were a couple more that came in for repair about the same time.

Fender Play November 2019
Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:48 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Wasn't the issue with the overdrive channel?

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:24 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
Wasn't the issue with the overdrive channel?

Yep. The overdrive channel was the one that had the issue. It may have been something in the preamp. I never did find out what was the cause of the problem.

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:20 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Faulty circuit, I suppose. Didn't the overdrive channel come on when you didn't want it to?

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:09 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
Faulty circuit, I suppose. Didn't the overdrive channel come on when you didn't want it to?

No, not that I remember. If I recall, the problem was if the amp powered up in the overdrive channel.

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:09 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

What about the regular channel?

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:57 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
What about the regular channel?

The vintage I think it is, was ok. That's why I almost convinced it was the preamp in the over-drive channel.

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:37 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

So if you had to, you could have still ran the other channel, and it would have been OK?

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:28 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
So if you had to, you could have still ran the other channel, and it would have been OK?

I could've run either channel, once the amp was fully powered up. I just couldn't put up with having to power it up in the Vintage Channel, because the Overdrive Channel had a problem. That was an $800. Fender Bassman head, with an issue that should have been dealt with while they were still in production. I wouldn't have put up with that on the road with someone else's gear, and I sure as hell wasn't liking it with my personal amp. I didn't know if this the prelude to more electronic surprises with the head when it was out of warranty.

One reason I wasn't to bad on the road, I spent time looking for, and anticipating problems, hopefully before they happened. We did amp checks, where we monitored the power flow for each amp head, and charted them. That way we had a record for the performance of each head. It did help that my #2 guy was a whizz with electronics, and gauges. I carried a portable Rolodex with company reps. contacts all over the country for possible replacement gear, parts, etc.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:10 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, I don't blame you for not putting up with that issue with that amp, which it shouldn't have been doing that in the first place. I was curious if it still was able to operate besides that issue, like say if you happen to be in a gig and it did that, but you were still able to use it to get through the show (if you didn't have a backup) and deal with it later. At least you didn't have that issue with the other Fender amps.

I can see why you were hired like you did, because you actually gave a crap, and made sure things worked right.

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:15 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

In any show from medium size bands, to the big names, myself and the crew, never missed a deadline for getting to the showplace from the airport, or from the showplace to the airport. My crew was the best.

On the Bassman 500, like I said, it did run ok once it powered up. It wasn't what a good amp head should do though. The easier on the wallet amps, weren't doing that little trick at that time. So why put up with a Bassman 500. My fault possibly was also for doing the Road thing, and expecting amps to perform as expected, even off the Road.

This HD75 has so much clean bottom to it, I have to be careful with the volume not being to high, or after awhile my ears are telling me its too damn loud. But it sounds so good. AHHHH,................ ImageImage

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:40 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Was your crew the same people, or you had different people come and go?

You know, it was an $800 amp, which you could have gotten for the same power for a lot less, or double that power with an Ampeg SVT-7 Pro for that price, and it is a Fender, so you're right about the whole thing. There should have been better QC with that, I should think. I suppose it's water under the bridge now, since it's gone, but at least that was the only issue amp from them. I suppose it's just bad luck to get a lemon, but that's also happened with us when we got one of those Squier Bass VI's when they first came out, but they seemed to OK after that.

How loud does that amp go? Do you get more out of it than you'd expect to?

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:15 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The crew were all regular cast members so to speak. We all knew, and trusted each other. There was a bond, and the pay wasn't too bad either.

I had the Ampeg 7PRO, but liked the sound, and the looks of the Bassman 500. Silly me, right?

I haven't cranked up the HD75 too loud. The sound from it at the settings now, more than fill the room. It's a little Monster. Hartke kicks!

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:38 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

That's good to have a steady team like that, it makes things go a lot smoother, since everyone knows everyone and what to do.

Well, that Fender does look like the classic models from the 60's, so I understand that 100%. The only amps from Ampeg that look like from that time period are the SVT, V-4, and I think the Portaflex has that vibe, even the one I have, even though they didn't have 800 watt amps like that back then, obviously.

You know the funny thing about that, is 75 watts was considering quite a lot back in the day, I'm sure you remember, albeit they were usually tube. The 1982 Super Champ we have is 18 watts, all tube, and it's pretty loud. It also has an EV Force 10 speaker in it that's 150 watts, so it's kind of hard to push it into overdrive without getting really loud in the room (in fact, I haven't even done that,) but it also has a distortion channel, which turns on when you pull out the gain knob. That was probably a new thing for Fender at the time, I'll bet.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:24 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

75 To say 135 tube watts was up there. In a guitar setup, it still is. And if you're not playing a bass with a drummer as loud as Paul Whaley was with Blue Cheer, you can do ok with an Ampeg V4B, a Bassman 100T, or any other comparable 100 watts tube head. The HD75 has its limitations, but I think it has some balls to it with the 7 band EQ in the mix. It drives the volume up a few decibels there.

We all had our little niches we liked to do, and did the best. One of the best things going for us, we all worked
together to get the job done.

I did like the old style tube head design, but that was pretty much looks only. The HD75 Combo, other than the metal grill covering the driver, is about the same design as my first Kent Combo I started with. The controls were on the top of the back on it. I bough that from a friend that had a big flower fabric speaker cloth on it. Ya' know, "Flower Power"!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 905 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 61  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 61  Next