It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Post subject: Re: Markbass Mini CMD 121P / NY121
Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:02 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, I'm not sure if that would be going a step backwards with going to a 15" speaker from 4 x 10"s. Although, I used to get a decent tone from a 15" back in the day, and I got an Ampeg now, which is tonally a lot superior to what I had previously, I think.

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Markbass Mini CMD 121P
Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:04 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds".......
PaulLF wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure if that would be going a step backwards with going to a 15" speaker from 4 x 10"s. Although, I used to get a decent tone from a 15" back in the day, and I got an Ampeg now, which is tonally a lot superior to what I had previously, I think.

Good luck on that decision. You do have the gear to work with. It in a way wouldn't be to bad to have the 410 cab, as you could do a killer matchup if you were to acquire another 410. The tone, and speaker response would match up a bit closer than a single 15" driver. Even a 15" can gat a bit over driven when running along with a 410.

Last edited by Mr. Nylon on Fri May 17, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:41 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, I do have a good setup. Really, the only consideration that I'd have to get a 15", is it's slightly more portable. I don't know, it's something to think about, and play around with. Of course, that would also depend if I can even get one in the first place, so it all might be a moot point. If anything, I do need to get a bag for the Ampeg, but those are cheap, if you get a gym, or computer bag. I saw something on Walmart.com that was $15, or something like that, which should work.

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:46 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
Yeah, I do have a good setup. Really, the only consideration that I'd have to get a 15", is it's slightly more portable. I don't know, it's something to think about, and play around with. Of course, that would also depend if I can even get one in the first place, so it all might be a moot point. If anything, I do need to get a bag for the Ampeg, but those are cheap, if you get a gym, or computer bag. I saw something on Walmart.com that was $15, or something like that, which should work.

The old style gym, or awol bags would be fine, and they wouldn't scream to others, HEY, THER'S AN AMPEG AMP HEAD IN THIS BAG!!! The more simple looking the better. I still think a small back pack would be good too. If you want, or need to, just throw it on you back, or shoulder, and have on you.

Getting back to the amp, that's a tough decision. Or it can be, let me just that one. :roll:

Last edited by Mr. Nylon on Fri May 17, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:06 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

A basic bag like you mentioned should work, or maybe even a backpack of some sort. The great thing about that is I can also keep other stuff in there like cables and that sort of thing. It just needs to be wide enough for the amp to fit it, without stretching it out, or potentially tearing it. Fortunately, that Ampeg is pretty compact to carry like that, and light weight, as well.

Yeah, I'm on the fence about the cab situation, if I even need or should mess with that. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Like I mentioned, the main reason is the portability of putting the amp inside the cab, but if I do that, I won't need a bag for the amp.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:51 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

On the cab thing, I guess that's where your priorities may come into play on that. The PF cab would be cool, but a bag for the head would work as well. :roll:

Last edited by Mr. Nylon on Fri May 17, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:42 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I'm not really sure. I'm just toying with the idea right now. Maybe I'm feeling nostalgic for 15" speakers, although a Peavey 2 x 15" cab is an awesome beast that I'd rather run than a single 15", but that totally defeats the purpose of any portability, which is the whole point of thinking about that Portflex cab. :roll:

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:16 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
I'm not really sure. I'm just toying with the idea right now. Maybe I'm feeling nostalgic for 15" speakers, although a Peavey 2 x 15" cab is an awesome beast that I'd rather run than a single 15", but that totally defeats the purpose of any portability, which is the whole point of thinking about that Portflex cab. :roll:

It's like one thing counters the other. The pros become cons, and vice versa. 2 X 15's Are great if you have if you have those mystical beings, called Roadies. It seems like any driver over the size of a 12 isn't to welcome anymore in a single cab. The 12's get away with a 2X12 cab by off setting, or staggering the 12's. Not a straight vertical mostly. I do appreciate the Markbass setup.

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:33 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I know what you mean. Having people to help you haul your stuff certainly allows you bigger options like a 2 x 15" cab or two to shake the room, which you have to admit is a fun way to play bass. But of course, if you don't have that option, you have to consider smaller cabs, unless you can handle it yourself. There is like you said designs that can compact the cab size down and still have additional speakers, and lighter materials, as well.

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:07 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

It almost comes down to if necessary, can I handle, and move all this stuff myself. Stairs are pretty much the problem in most cases with larger gear. And then the transportation logistics. I know my Rav4 limits me for that.

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:07 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, that's the two main obstacles, I think.

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:00 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
Yeah, that's the two main obstacles, I think.

That's the two main obstacles I never liked to deal with it. Some small backstage doorways weren't much fun either.

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:40 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, especially if you wind up scraping or smashing your fingers on or against it. :roll:

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:57 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
Yeah, especially if you wind up scraping or smashing your fingers on or against it. :roll:

Been there, done that. But that was the job to do it so the players had their hands, and fingers intact for performances.

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:46 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, I suppose it came with the territory.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next