It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post subject: What is a good beginner acoustic?
Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:17 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Hello folks . . . My wife states she wants to buy me an acoustic. What would you recommend for a good beginner acoustic? Any good deals at $100 plus?

I don't want her to go overboard with the spending part.

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: What is a good beginner acoustic?
Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:18 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Have you considered used? You'll get more for your money and there are tons of like new acoustics that people bought to learn on and then lost interest in out there.

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:32 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Minnesotastrats wrote:
Have you considered used? You'll get more for your money and there are tons of like new acoustics that people bought to learn on and then lost interest in out there.

+1

Also, as a Newby who has many friends in the Industry, their recommendations have ALWAYS been: " Buy Good Gear !! It'll allow you to move forward faster and will maximize your motivation..."

If you're truly hooked, buy yourself a nice Martin, Taylor, Yamaha, Breedlove, Fender, etc.

View it as an investment in your future... the initial cost will pan out over time.

An accoustic is much Harder to play in that it is totally Unforgiving... you either get it right... or it's NOT !!

This from someone who bought two $200 range accoustics, and within months came to realize what foolish purchases they were (YES... I too err from time-to-time).

Now, they're worth virtually nothing ! I gave away my Epi 200 and rarely play my Ovation/Applause... All this on the acquisition of my mid-priced ( ± $900 Martin ). Even my wife noticed the difference in Tone as well as my initial inability to play the same scales and riffs as compared to my 'cheap' guitars.

Yea... Everybody has to live within the constraints of a Budget... I get that. But it is a false economy to buy a cheap accoustic that you'll quickly tire of, only to find that selling it redeems only 30% of what you paid for it.

Even if you have to wait 6-24 months to save for a quality acoustic, that'd be my recommendation.

If you can do this, I'm certain that you'll end up with an instrument that you LOVE to play and will keep in your stable a long time !

cheers!

'11 FSR Am. Vtg. Ltd. Ed. CAR '57 Stratocaster (SN# LE02639)
'14 American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster
'12 Telebration Empress Telecaster
'99 Deluxe Nashville Telecaster
'12 FSR Telecaster HH
'10 Heritage H-535
'99 Martin DC-1E
'13 Lanikai Tenor Ukulele

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:49 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

I know this is a Fender forum, but I recommend against getting a Fender. They're cheap, sure, but I haven't heard a Fender acoustic that sounded anything but dead.

At the lowest price range, Yamaha and Washburn aren't bad.
If you can add a little more money, or are willing to buy used, Takamine and Seagull are good choices.

But you also need to figure out what kind of acoustic guitar you want. Steel or nylon strings? Dreadnought, concert or Spanish? Cutaway or symmetrical? Flat or rounded back? Curved neck or flat?

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:40 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

arth1 wrote:
I know this is a Fender forum, but I recommend against getting a Fender. They're cheap, sure, but I haven't heard a Fender acoustic that sounded anything but dead.

At the lowest price range, Yamaha and Washburn aren't bad.
If you can add a little more money, or are willing to buy used, Takamine and Seagull are good choices.

But you also need to figure out what kind of acoustic guitar you want. Steel or nylon strings? Dreadnought, concert or Spanish? Cutaway or symmetrical? Flat or rounded back? Curved neck or flat?

I used to think the same thing and If you're talking bottom rung you may be right I don't know, I wouldn't waste my time on a bottom end cheapie. However, on a whim when MF closed out the Fender Elvis Kingman I bought one. Took a week or so to break in the top, now I can't put it down and I have a 37 year old $2500 Martin. Also the Top of the line American made Fender acoustics come out of the Guild factory and I'd hardly call Guild guitars crap.

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:21 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I agree with the above.

Just make sure that the action is adjustable. Some of the Martins, even come setup from the factory and are not adjustable.

Many put shims in under the bridge for this. You might like different action after playing for awhile.

Don't leave home without it!

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:21 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

The Martin X Series. Used they're dirt cheap. Nice sounding and playing instruments. IMO beats most go the lower end stuff coming out of China. Matrin guitars are adjustable. They have truss rods and the nuts and saddles can be adjusted by a qualified tech as are just about all acoustic guitars.

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:16 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

At least get a solid top, that plays well. I have this Breedlove and like it alot.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ ... tic-guitar

07 Washburn D10SCE natural with Rosewood backing
Fender Mustang II amp

Experience is the best teacher

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:21 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

If money is an issue, just check Craigslist or your local pawn shops. You can find a decent acoustic that plays well enough. If she decides to stick with it, then save up and get a good solid acoustic as a present for her keeping at it.

Just a thought.

T2

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:04 am
Roadie
Roadie

a cheap acoustic means a cheap sound. simpls as that. would have loved a j200 gibson but who can afford that so i bought an epi ej 200 but trying them in the store..... well i could see why the gibson cost what it did.. if you can afford it get the good one if not then epi makes some nice guitars to learn on. as said above ive tryed fender acoustics. no thanks.. btw ive put an acoustic pickup inthe ej and now its a whole other story when played through the amp. :)

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:09 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

amx05462 wrote:
a cheap acoustic means a cheap sound. simpls as that.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple.

Wood is a living material, but finance and marketing people are undead.

They price the instruments made the same way the same price, not caring one bit that there are individual variations. Variation is a cuss word to them. They live by guaranteed ROIs. So you get a bad sounding guitar at a MSRP of $1500 and a good sounding one at the same price. Surprisingly often, the better of a lower price range can be much better than a not-so-good one from a higher price range.
There are also variations in craftmanship, which isn't reflected. For most companies, there's no telling who were responsible for making an instrument, and no price difference based on their competency.

So with acoustical instruments, you really should try to compare instruments before you buy. The price is just a starting point. A good $1000 Takamine can be much better than a "Monday" $2000 Martin.

For used instruments, the quality of it is more often reflected in the price, but then again, the price varies for other reasons, like how desperate, ignorant or greedy the seller is.

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:51 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Do not waste $100 on a crappy acoustic. Fender has the CD60 for a street price of $200. IMO those are very decent guitars for the price (they also come with a hard case). I have a CD60CE-AM which is the acoustic-electric version (CE stands for cutaway-electric) in all-mahogany. She sounds great, it's very stable and has great intonation. I bought mine for $269, which is a great bargain on a very decent instrument.

Other guitars to consider are definitely Yamahas and Seagulls, they're budget-conscious and terrific instruments. Just go to a guitar store and try them out.

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:43 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

1neeto wrote:
Other guitars to consider are definitely Yamahas and Seagulls, they're budget-conscious and terrific instruments. Just go to a guitar store and try them out.

I can definitely second this - except for the very cheapest (sub-$100) Yamahas, they are built with very good quality, and their fingerboards are some of the nicest to play, regardless of price.
And Seagull guitars tend to have excellent sound.

And while Martin and Taylor are generally ranked top, but also top dollar, if willing to go higher in price than the low-end segment, I'd recommend Takamine as being another great guitar brand that's sound focused.
They seem to be distributed by Fender here in the US (see the URL for the below pic):

But, yeah, try out before buying. Especially for acoustics.

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:17 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Thanks for all the replies guys!

That means a lot.

What would you recommend for Spanish style playing? What kind of strings?

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:52 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-CG14 ... 1522799.gc

Looks like a decent classical guitar with a solid spruce top.

Go to page 1, 2  Next