It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2005 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134  Next
Author Message
Post subject: Re: Anyone Have A Bass, or Guitar You Keep Going Back To?
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:58 pm
Offline
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 784
My folks had a quad system all in one with an 8 track. I think it was a Sanyo.

I also think I'm the young guy on here.

C/S,
Rev J


Top
Profile
Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Anyone Have A Bass, or Guitar You Keep Going Back To?
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:02 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 15573
Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
I never saw the need, or practicality to have a quad system. I only had, and presently have two ears anyway. Two stereo speaker boxes, or stereo headphones are all I can handle anyway.

_________________
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Anyone Have A Bass, or Guitar You Keep Going Back To?
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:42 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 am
Posts: 17276
Location: On the loo, regretting that gas station burrito.
Rev J wrote:
My folks had a quad system all in one with an 8 track. I think it was a Sanyo.

I also think I'm the young guy on here.

C/S,
Rev J


I'm 47, and was a little kid when a lot of this was around.

_________________
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Anyone Have A Bass, or Guitar You Keep Going Back To?
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:46 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 am
Posts: 17276
Location: On the loo, regretting that gas station burrito.
Mr. Nylon wrote:
I never saw the need, or practicality to have a quad system. I only had, and presently have two ears anyway. Two stereo speaker boxes, or stereo headphones are all I can handle anyway.


I've rigged up 4 speakers to my system, when I had one, putting each one in the corners of the room, and I've also had a surround sound system going with it, as well. That was great for watching movies, especially, so you get that blow your head off volume theater experience. :P

_________________
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Anyone Have A Bass, or Guitar You Keep Going Back To?
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:13 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 15573
Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
PaulLF wrote:
Mr. Nylon wrote:
I never saw the need, or practicality to have a quad system. I only had, and presently have two ears anyway. Two stereo speaker boxes, or stereo headphones are all I can handle anyway.


I've rigged up 4 speakers to my system, when I had one, putting each one in the corners of the room, and I've also had a surround sound system going with it, as well. That was great for watching movies, especially, so you get that blow your head off volume theater experience. :P


Blow your head off, like in the movie "Scanners"?

_________________
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Anyone Have A Bass, or Guitar You Keep Going Back To?
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:26 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:38 am
Posts: 11597
Location: Canada
As I’ve mentioned elsewhere I went full bore with Quad both at home and at work experimenting with broadcasting simulcast radio and TV with manufacturers. I even went quad with Motorola and Jensen in the car.

Discrete Quad records and Quad 4 track open reel decks, modular Marantz changeable gear, HK demodulators along with 5K-100K stylus, and tower speakers.

I think the reason Quad died was not because it was not good. Top quality recordings were available. Often it gave talent and studios another direction to explore. Existing multi tracks brought out of storage gave new life to the music industry and to the consumer both old and new. Quad was never questioned for acceptability (most of the great artists and bands wanted to use it and did) except for the cost and competition. It did make a lot of audiophiles, but it also left others behind.

However, broadcasters and the studios found it to be a losing adventure when not enough consumers opened their pocket books to buy 4 full size speakers. A/B speakers were already rare enough. Formats were iffy for distribution and so on. Two channel is relatively cheaper and, obviously, consumers were okay with that.

So today we have a very good compromise. Analog steps aside or sits alongside for digital non discrete (for the most part) surround sound in many flavours. Workable for media profits and less expensive for the consumer with more flexibility for both.

Oh, and speakers? Generally, speakers are not the large quality bookshelf or towers of yesteryear (many which struggled with digital playback, especially if it was inferior. Ouch!) Smaller? Great! We have room, but you’ll pay big bucks for matching the quality and big sound of those other boxes. Better add a sub-woofer or maybe two. Those little babies that are certainly convenient for placement and found to be wife, girlfriend, or mother friendly need a big brother or two. Perhaps, one’s system is an all in one sound bar. Going all out? Try a 13.1 system or upgrade to a 12.222.2 setup. Try that with an analog discrete quad audio system. Great for the man cave; however, when the others join you the man cave will no longer be yours. :?
Until you’ve heard Abraxas, Jagger and the boys, The Doors, The Eagles, Pink Floyd, Nilsson Schmilsson, Jim Croce, Deep Purple, and the others in Quad . . . well, let’s just say we can thank Quad for getting us to where we are today which can be very good or very bad. YMMV

Still, today’s lacking surround radio (even streaming), the limited coverage of surround media and gear in the car, and where is the easy peasy surround recording for consumers at this late stage is less than a standing ovation?

Stereo can be bliss, and yet at times it’s like listening to mono compared to really good surround recordings. Simulated is just that - simulated. I once said a picture of an apple can be, for example, a painting or a photograph. Good or bad, it will never be an apple; but, that doesn’t remove the enjoyment of it all. :D
Bring the hook on stage. :wink:
Unless it’s a superb binaural stage which, unfortunately, only rocks with cans (headsets for the uninitiated).











Exit stage left. 8)
FSB

_________________
Hello, big guitar. Meet my little fingers.


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Anyone Have A Bass, or Guitar You Keep Going Back To?
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:18 am
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 am
Posts: 17276
Location: On the loo, regretting that gas station burrito.
Mr. Nylon wrote:
PaulLF wrote:
Mr. Nylon wrote:
I never saw the need, or practicality to have a quad system. I only had, and presently have two ears anyway. Two stereo speaker boxes, or stereo headphones are all I can handle anyway.


I've rigged up 4 speakers to my system, when I had one, putting each one in the corners of the room, and I've also had a surround sound system going with it, as well. That was great for watching movies, especially, so you get that blow your head off volume theater experience. :P


Blow your head off, like in the movie "Scanners"?


Not quite, but that would probably put out some SPLs to do that. :P

_________________
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Anyone Have A Bass, or Guitar You Keep Going Back To?
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:28 am
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 am
Posts: 17276
Location: On the loo, regretting that gas station burrito.
Fender Strat Brat wrote:
As I’ve mentioned elsewhere I went full bore with Quad both at home and at work experimenting with broadcasting simulcast radio and TV with manufacturers. I even went quad with Motorola and Jensen in the car.

Discrete Quad records and Quad 4 track open reel decks, modular Marantz changeable gear, HK demodulators along with 5K-100K stylus, and tower speakers.

I think the reason Quad died was not because it was not good. Top quality recordings were available. Often it gave talent and studios another direction to explore. Existing multi tracks brought out of storage gave new life to the music industry and to the consumer both old and new. Quad was never questioned for acceptability (most of the great artists and bands wanted to use it and did) except for the cost and competition. It did make a lot of audiophiles, but it also left others behind.

However, broadcasters and the studios found it to be a losing adventure when not enough consumers opened their pocket books to buy 4 full size speakers. A/B speakers were already rare enough. Formats were iffy for distribution and so on. Two channel is relatively cheaper and, obviously, consumers were okay with that.

So today we have a very good compromise. Analog steps aside or sits alongside for digital non discrete (for the most part) surround sound in many flavours. Workable for media profits and less expensive for the consumer with more flexibility for both.

Oh, and speakers? Generally, speakers are not the large quality bookshelf or towers of yesteryear (many which struggled with digital playback, especially if it was inferior. Ouch!) Smaller? Great! We have room, but you’ll pay big bucks for matching the quality and big sound of those other boxes. Better add a sub-woofer or maybe two. Those little babies that are certainly convenient for placement and found to be wife, girlfriend, or mother friendly need a big brother or two. Perhaps, one’s system is an all in one sound bar. Going all out? Try a 13.1 system or upgrade to a 12.222.2 setup. Try that with an analog discrete quad audio system. Great for the man cave; however, when the others join you the man cave will no longer be yours. :?
Until you’ve heard Abraxas, Jagger and the boys, The Doors, The Eagles, Pink Floyd, Nilsson Schmilsson, Jim Croce, Deep Purple, and the others in Quad . . . well, let’s just say we can thank Quad for getting us to where we are today which can be very good or very bad. YMMV

Still, today’s lacking surround radio (even streaming), the limited coverage of surround media and gear in the car, and where is the easy peasy surround recording for consumers at this late stage is less than a standing ovation?

Stereo can be bliss, and yet at times it’s like listening to mono compared to really good surround recordings. Simulated is just that - simulated. I once said a picture of an apple can be, for example, a painting or a photograph. Good or bad, it will never be an apple; but, that doesn’t remove the enjoyment of it all. :D
Bring the hook on stage. :wink:
Unless it’s a superb binaural stage which, unfortunately, only rocks with cans (headsets for the uninitiated).











Exit stage left. 8)
FSB


Speaking of recording formats and all of that, the one thing I've noticed from listening to a streaming service like Spotify, compared to a CD, is it pretty much sounds like crap in comparison. I was listening to the latest album from the band 21 Pilots in both formats, and I noticed a lot of things on the CD, like nuances and such, that are missed with the streaming format.

_________________
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Anyone Have A Bass, or Guitar You Keep Going Back To?
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:01 am
Offline
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 784
PaulLF wrote:
Rev J wrote:
My folks had a quad system all in one with an 8 track. I think it was a Sanyo.

I also think I'm the young guy on here.

C/S,
Rev J


I'm 47, and was a little kid when a lot of this was around.


Yeah, I'm 43.

It's interesting the Flaming Lips did a low budget quad thing where it was 4 cds recorded to be put in 4 players around the room. Granted getting all 4 to start at the same time is impossible but I think that was the avant garde concept that you would never have the same listening experience twice.

C/S,
Rev J


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Anyone Have A Bass, or Guitar You Keep Going Back To?
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:05 am
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:38 am
Posts: 11597
Location: Canada
Rev J wrote:
PaulLF wrote:
Rev J wrote:
My folks had a quad system all in one with an 8 track. I think it was a Sanyo.

I also think I'm the young guy on here.

C/S,
Rev J


I'm 47, and was a little kid when a lot of this was around.


Yeah, I'm 43.

It's interesting the Flaming Lips did a low budget quad thing where it was 4 cds recorded to be put in 4 players around the room. Granted getting all 4 to start at the same time is impossible but I think that was the avant garde concept that you would never have the same listening experience twice.

C/S,
Rev J

Pretty interesting concept, Rev’. Good on the Flaming Lips for presenting an out of the box experience as goofy as it is. New to me.

With two studio turntables to a mixer we used to minutely offset records in the 60s to created flanging. It was a hoot to hear how different recordings worked or didn’t. My guess is this would happen with the Flaming Lips recordings as mentioned. I suppose a transfer to software would be a simple way to sync it; but, then you’d have to have a way of playing back 8 channels of output discretely. Of course if you could listen to each stereo recording separately, and if you had perfect recall, that would work. :lol:

I found this article that talks about those 4 discs to create surround sound from the Flaming Lips.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums ... ound.7327/

. . . and you’re right, Glenn. Maybe, at least in this case, less is more. :lol:
FSB

Hmm? I wonder how Quad would work if 4 bass strings were recorded individually and played back in sync on 4 channels? Maybe 6 or 12 strings broken into 6 or 12 channels? :shock:

Good luck recording that.
Aw, fuggedabout it.

On the other hand, it might be money in the bank. 8)

Lemme see. Cymbals in front left and right placed high for Atmos playback, kick Center front, high hat mid right next to the snare a little further back off centre right, toms left and right center, floor tom left back of center, cowbell in your face moving all over the place and a gong at the back. Triangle optional. Yep! That’ll work. Now for a backwards recording with some delay and phasing. :roll:

_________________
Hello, big guitar. Meet my little fingers.


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Anyone Have A Bass, or Guitar You Keep Going Back To?
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:56 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 am
Posts: 17276
Location: On the loo, regretting that gas station burrito.
Rev J wrote:
PaulLF wrote:
Rev J wrote:
My folks had a quad system all in one with an 8 track. I think it was a Sanyo.

I also think I'm the young guy on here.

C/S,
Rev J


I'm 47, and was a little kid when a lot of this was around.


Yeah, I'm 43.

It's interesting the Flaming Lips did a low budget quad thing where it was 4 cds recorded to be put in 4 players around the room. Granted getting all 4 to start at the same time is impossible but I think that was the avant garde concept that you would never have the same listening experience twice.

C/S,
Rev J


I figured you were probably around my age, because you remember a lot of late 80's stuff, like those early Hartke ads, and such. Remember Series 10 basses and Crate amps? I actually did like their 440 watt bass head that they put out, since it actually had some power (especially for the time) and wasn't uber expensive like most bass gear was back then, for new. I remember it sounded pretty good, too. Then again, I was used to playing through Peavey amps at the time. :P

I didn't hear about that with the Flaming Lips. That is an interesting concept.

_________________
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Anyone Have A Bass, or Guitar You Keep Going Back To?
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:58 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 am
Posts: 17276
Location: On the loo, regretting that gas station burrito.
Fender Strat Brat wrote:
Rev J wrote:
PaulLF wrote:
Rev J wrote:
My folks had a quad system all in one with an 8 track. I think it was a Sanyo.

I also think I'm the young guy on here.

C/S,
Rev J


I'm 47, and was a little kid when a lot of this was around.


Yeah, I'm 43.

It's interesting the Flaming Lips did a low budget quad thing where it was 4 cds recorded to be put in 4 players around the room. Granted getting all 4 to start at the same time is impossible but I think that was the avant garde concept that you would never have the same listening experience twice.

C/S,
Rev J

Pretty interesting concept, Rev’. Good on the Flaming Lips for presenting an out of the box experience as goofy as it is. New to me.

With two studio turntables to a mixer we used to minutely offset records in the 60s to created flanging. It was a hoot to hear how different recordings worked or didn’t. My guess is this would happen with the Flaming Lips recordings as mentioned. I suppose a transfer to software would be a simple way to sync it; but, then you’d have to have a way of playing back 8 channels of output discretely. Of course if you could listen to each stereo recording separately, and if you had perfect recall, that would work. :lol:

I found this article that talks about those 4 discs to create surround sound from the Flaming Lips.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums ... ound.7327/

. . . and you’re right, Glenn. Maybe, at least in this case, less is more. :lol:
FSB

Hmm? I wonder how Quad would work if 4 bass strings were recorded individually and played back in sync on 4 channels? Maybe 6 or 12 strings broken into 6 or 12 channels? :shock:

Good luck recording that.
Aw, fuggedabout it.

On the other hand, it might be money in the bank. 8)

Lemme see. Cymbals in front left and right placed high for Atmos playback, kick Center front, high hat mid right next to the snare a little further back off centre right, toms left and right center, floor tom left back of center, cowbell in your face moving all over the place and a gong at the back. Triangle optional. Yep! That’ll work. Now for a backwards recording with some delay and phasing. :roll:


You know, I think someone did have some sort of thing about recording each bass string through different channels, amps, or whatever the hell it was. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. Maybe it was the Grateful Dead, or someone like that.

_________________
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Anyone Have A Bass, or Guitar You Keep Going Back To?
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:07 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 am
Posts: 17276
Location: On the loo, regretting that gas station burrito.
I picked up my Squier Telecaster Custom for the first time in a long time, and played for a bit. I'm not sure if I went back to it, or not, since I'm 99.5 % on the bass. I noticed it was out of tune a half step up, when I tuned it. Usually when things go out of tune, it's usually tuned down. I wonder if the climate dictates that? I know it certainly plays hell on the fretboard in winter, if it's rosewood.

_________________
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Anyone Have A Bass, or Guitar You Keep Going Back To?
Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:00 am
Offline
Rock Star
Rock Star
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:50 am
Posts: 4643
Location: Arizona USA
PaulLF wrote:
I picked up my Squier Telecaster Custom for the first time in a long time, and played for a bit. I'm not sure if I went back to it, or not, since I'm 99.5 % on the bass. I noticed it was out of tune a half step up, when I tuned it. Usually when things go out of tune, it's usually tuned down. I wonder if the climate dictates that? I know it certainly plays hell on the fretboard in winter, if it's rosewood.

When I played my usual Strat today and it was sharp on three strings. That's unusual because it normally stays in tune very well. The humidity is way up today so I thought that might be it.

_________________
Marky

Remember the music is not in the guitar


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Anyone Have A Bass, or Guitar You Keep Going Back To?
Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:06 am
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 am
Posts: 17276
Location: On the loo, regretting that gas station burrito.
So when your guitar is out, is it usually flat or sharp? My low E string was actually up to F, as well as the A up A#, etc. I haven't tuned that guitar in a month or so, because I haven't touched it.

_________________
Image


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2005 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Fender Play April 2019

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: