It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Windows 7 (end of support)
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:26 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Just a little PSA for those of you still using Windows 7:

What happens when Windows 7 support ends?
Applies to: Windows 7Windows 8Windows 8.1
Windows 7 support will end on January 14, 2020. If you continue to use Windows 7 after support has ended, your PC will still work, but it will become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses because you will no longer receive software updates, including security updates, from Microsoft. Microsoft strongly recommends that you move to a new PC running Windows 10 sometime before January 2020 to avoid a situation where you need service or support that is no longer available.
Last Updated: Nov 21, 2019
Link

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: Windows 7 (end of support)
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:50 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Agreed but not too late to update :

https://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to ... a-legally/

Don't leave home without it!

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:59 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Thanks for posting ghost. 8)

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:03 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Miami Mike wrote:

So Windows 7 will still be able to download existing security patches and updates. That is not the problem.

The problem is if some hacker out there finds a new security hole tomorrow morning (or any time after that), Microsoft will not write a new security patch for Windows 7.

It's not unheard of, Microsoft released an update for Windows Vista way after it was out of support. In that case, a Russian hacker had found a back door and the problem was bad enough that it would have been irresponsible to leave it unpatched. But they are under no obligation to release new patches after their products end support.

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:11 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The link indicates how to upgrade to Win10 using an ISO file to DVD (legally).

Don't leave home without it!

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:17 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I'm still on Windows XP, support ended years ago. About once a week I get a little box that pops up to remind me that XP is no longer supported.

Today the BBC turned Flash Player off meaning that to watch content on the iPlayer I need to upgrade my PC (even though I have payed for a TV licence), I doubt that Windows 10 would run on this PC.

I quite like Windows XP, don't see why I should be forced to upgrade. I payed good money for this.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:16 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

ghost_of_strings wrote:
Just a little PSA for those of you still using Windows 7:

What happens when Windows 7 support ends?
What happens? Basically, frustration for the most part with browsers that are picky, and feeling cheated by not being able to add newer versions of existing or desirable software, not always a pressing issue unless you need them. Maybe, you won’t be be able to install that cool whatchamacallit to sit alongside what you find suitable now.

Can’t always blame the OS though. Hardware may have it’s limits and, as soon as you jump to a new laptop, desktop, or OS, you’re likely to see a change in computing within 6 months or sooner. If not, other software will present the latest greatest. You may not need the latest greatest software, but chances are you will be getting closer to needing a new OS or computer to support it because what you do use may be incorporated or lost with a thingamabob requirement. :roll: As far as security, you got it Ghost. It’s a double edge sword though. Hackers are just as likely to pinpoint the newer OS to gain a foothold before all the missed opportunities for prevention are discovered, or for a challenge, and because popularity gathers others.

It was just announced there is a user estimation of 50% on Windows 10, and 33 % on Windows 7. That amounts to 1 billion on Windows 10. Popularity? Perhaps; but, as population explodes so do new buyers and users and that affects the stats and promotion. On the flip side did ya ever notice government and financial institutions are usually one step behind in their OS? Security is questionable but highly monitored AFAIK.

Me? Vista, but not for long, but likely as well. Security? Ask me about Windows 3.0 and Win 95. Better still, ask me about the vulnerability of apps. It’s all hackable more or less and with a dice roll there are unsuspecting Trojans lurking out there and in here: https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.huffpos ... 7e4702/amp

My old Pentium II with Windows 95 loved a Blue Screen of Death, Asteroids, Commander Keen, NASCAR, and Doom, but it also loved a 24 track audio board DAW, my Cad and 3D animator hat, and it taught me how to reinstall from no other choice days. Not fun though.

My crystal ball has images of only one provider made available such as a browser giving us the whole kit and caboodle where they or Orwell controls the OS and prevents viruses. Nice! Then together we can together all watch the Gremlin do it’s stuff. :wink: I’ve had years and plenty of expensive dedicated computers for audio and video that kept chugging amongst leading edge competition. Some good, some bad . . . but, the Internet wasn’t involved, and security was the big dude at reception. :lol: Thanks, for posting Ghost. With Windows 7 losing support, Vista and XP are just about memories. At least 4 strings, 6 strings, and 12 strings are still around - for now. :wink:
FSB