It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
Post subject: Your favorite getaway driver movies?
Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:02 am
Offline
Roadie
Roadie
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 8:34 pm
Posts: 237
Location: Brazil
Self explaining title! :mrgreen:

Mine:

The getaway (McQueen/McGraw)

Image

Vanishing Point

Image

I've recently watched a few modern ones, though I still prefer the 70s stuff. This one has a pretty fierce pursuit scene with Hendrix as background music.

Image

Yours?


Top
Profile
Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: Your favorite getaway driver movies?
Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:02 pm
Offline
Rock Star
Rock Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:50 pm
Posts: 7998
Location: ʎɹʇunoɔ ǝsoɹ pןıʍ
Vanishing Point
1971

_________________
Image
Just think of how awesome a guitar player you could have been by now if you had only spent the last 10 years practicing instead of obsessing over pickups and roasted maple necks.


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Your favorite getaway driver movies?
Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:55 pm
Offline
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 789
For a more modern one "Death Proof".

C/S,
Rev J


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Your favorite getaway driver movies?
Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:10 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:38 am
Posts: 12145
Location: Canada
Yeah. Those would be on my list, Sergio. 8)
Here’s two more. Even though I owned a 70s Charger (my wife said my original choice the Challenger was too small) :roll:I’d take either of these cars too,

Cars are after the opening boat scene:


I want this:


Note: As for speed of the muscle cars, no question they were hot and fast considering they weighed much more than today’s tuners. On the other hand many rode and drove like tanks, especially over railroad crossings. :lol:

_________________
Hello, big guitar. Meet my little fingers.


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Your favorite getaway driver movies?
Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:16 pm
Offline
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 789
I kinda want to go back and watch the 1974 "Gone in 60 Seconds". I saw the Nicolas Cage one and it was decent for what it was. I'm just not a big fan of shiny big budget movies.

C/S,
Rev J


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Your favorite getaway driver movies?
Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:02 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:38 am
Posts: 12145
Location: Canada
Rev J wrote:
I kinda want to go back and watch the 1974 "Gone in 60 Seconds". I saw the Nicolas Cage one and it was decent for what it was. I'm just not a big fan of shiny big budget movies.

C/S,
Rev J
I hear ya Rev’. For me I’m always suspicious of the dull heavily promoted ones. Those don’t get me all fuzzy, especially the ones promoted and critiqued or rated by media that belongs to the same organization that produces the movie or poor reviews from the opposition. Once in a while they prove me wrong, but I wouldn’t put money on that. :wink:
FSB

_________________
Hello, big guitar. Meet my little fingers.


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Your favorite getaway driver movies?
Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:28 am
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:13 pm
Posts: 18747
Location: Illinois, USA
cool thread Sérgio 8) more Vanishing Point (1971 film) than I expected. Some good getaway driver footage in High Sierra and it's remake I died a thousand times. Bullet is a favorite the french connection and of course Driver.

_________________
you can save the world with your guitar one love song at a time it's just better, more fun, easier with a fender solid body electric guitar or electric bass guitar.


Last edited by Solid Body Love Songs on Wed May 29, 2019 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Your favorite getaway driver movies?
Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:10 am
Offline
Roadie
Roadie
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 8:34 pm
Posts: 237
Location: Brazil
Thanks! I've always loved car culture and movies.

I myself don't drive anything fancy, just a humble standard white Lancer, but it's got enough rally and racing pedigree... 8)


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Your favorite getaway driver movies?
Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:03 am
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:38 am
Posts: 12145
Location: Canada
Sérgio wrote:
Thanks! I've always loved car culture and movies.

I myself don't drive anything fancy, just a humble standard white Lancer, but it's got enough rally and racing pedigree... 8)
Ain’t nothing wimpy about that speedster, Sergio. The funny thing about racing is there are stock racers and modified racers, and often apples to oranges misinterpret the performance stats. Ya did good.

In my day (when 50s and 60s cars crossed over and evolved into muscle cars) a ratted red or grey primer painted plain Jane ‘50 Ford flathead straight six would turn heads just like a shiny two tone chromed new off the lot powerhouse. Just like those movies here, the driver makes a difference as well. Mind you, good lookin’ chicks usually preferred the show and shine wheels while the cool babes would go with the run what you brought cars, and, yes, some of those girls were eye candy too. Besides, many of us had a good run but eventually ended up with family cars like our fathers. Mine owned a new ‘55 Chevy; but, that didn’t last forever.:wink:
Great thread, Sergio.

FSB

_________________
Hello, big guitar. Meet my little fingers.


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Your favorite getaway driver movies?
Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:33 pm
Offline
Professional Musician
Professional Musician
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:36 am
Posts: 1431
Location: Chorley, Lancs, UK
Reepo Man.

_________________
Cheers
Steve


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Your favorite getaway driver movies?
Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:46 pm
Offline
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 789
Fender Strat Brat wrote:
Rev J wrote:
I kinda want to go back and watch the 1974 "Gone in 60 Seconds". I saw the Nicolas Cage one and it was decent for what it was. I'm just not a big fan of shiny big budget movies.

C/S,
Rev J
I hear ya Rev’. For me I’m always suspicious of the dull heavily promoted ones. Those don’t get me all fuzzy, especially the ones promoted and critiqued or rated by media that belongs to the same organization that produces the movie or poor reviews from the opposition. Once in a while they prove me wrong, but I wouldn’t put money on that. :wink:
FSB



Yeah I joke that they called it "The Fast and the Furious" because they were driving fast and I was furious that I was watching that piece of crap. I also joke that usually the fans watch them the same way that they watch porno movies i.e. fast forward through the talking to the action.

Fun fact: the original "Gone in 60 Seconds" is in the Guiness Book of World Records for longest car chase and most cars destroyed in a car chase.

C/S,
Rev J


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Your favorite getaway driver movies?
Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:07 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:38 am
Posts: 12145
Location: Canada
Rev J wrote:
Fender Strat Brat wrote:
Rev J wrote:
I kinda want to go back and watch the 1974 "Gone in 60 Seconds". I saw the Nicolas Cage one and it was decent for what it was. I'm just not a big fan of shiny big budget movies.

C/S,
Rev J
I hear ya Rev’. For me I’m always suspicious of the dull heavily promoted ones. Those don’t get me all fuzzy, especially the ones promoted and critiqued or rated by media that belongs to the same organization that produces the movie or poor reviews from the opposition. Once in a while they prove me wrong, but I wouldn’t put money on that. :wink:
FSB

Fun fact: the original "Gone in 60 Seconds" is in the Guiness Book of World Records for longest car chase and most cars destroyed in a car chase.

C/S,
Rev J
Well, that’s sumpin, Rev.

I chortle when the ill informed think they can pull off a stunt or pro race car dtiver’s performance without the research, homework, support, experience, mods, and plan B.

There are calculated risks and then there are goofy risks. Luck isn’t always available. Speed is easy peasy. It’s what you do with it that counts. You want speed and risks? Try it on water where the conditions are always changing.

On a race track you might get a winner’s bouquet of flowers. On a road where you have no control on what’s up ahead, you might give or get flowers by the roadside with a note of sorrow. Oh, yeah. That smart move gets my respect (sic). :P
These movies have a lot of behind the scene action and, like most movies, it’s a story, with actors, effects, stand-ins, trick photography including CGI and frame manipulation to represent speed be they stage coaches or James Bond’s Aston Martin.

Roll the credits!

FSB

Side note: I had a hot little ‘63 Mercury that choked while passing a long semi on a two lane avenue when another truck. not far away, mistakenly turned on to the road and headed my way as he expected me to easily make the move ahead, giving him my lane. It didn’t and couldn’t happen with another car preventing my fall back option. I found myself facing a beast with two semis driving in both direction. Truck wheels went half on the narrow shoulders as I drove the center line between them. It took me some time to stop thanking the man upstairs.

Play it safe and enjoy the flick. 8)

_________________
Hello, big guitar. Meet my little fingers.


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Your favorite getaway driver movies?
Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:15 pm
Offline
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 789
I always get a kick when I see movies set in San Francisco and I can pick out the mistakes. For example in "The Rock" with Nicholas Cage and Sean Connery during one of the chase scenes you hear the radio say, "He's southbound on California Street."

The problem is if you know San Francisco you know California Street runs East to West.

C/S,
Rev J


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Your favorite getaway driver movies?
Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:04 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:38 am
Posts: 12145
Location: Canada
Rev J wrote:
I always get a kick when I see movies set in San Francisco and I can pick out the mistakes. For example in "The Rock" with Nicholas Cage and Sean Connery during one of the chase scenes you hear the radio say, "He's southbound on California Street."

The problem is if you know San Francisco you know California Street runs East to West.

C/S,
Rev J
Good one! :lol: I used to absolutely love the mystery of movies until I worked in TV. My fantasy world fell apart soon after, and when the Star Wars Rogue One scene used a familiar video switcher fader lever for Death Star to blow up the desert moon Jedha, that destroyed the movie for me :?
At least with the car movies you might see a feasible lever such as a Hurst Dual Gate shifter.:lol:
FSB

_________________
Hello, big guitar. Meet my little fingers.


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Your favorite getaway driver movies?
Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:12 am
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:13 pm
Posts: 18747
Location: Illinois, USA
Sérgio wrote:
Self explaining title! :mrgreen:

Mine:

The getaway (McQueen/McGraw)

Image


Yours?

The Getaway is a great one Sérgio.

_________________
you can save the world with your guitar one love song at a time it's just better, more fun, easier with a fender solid body electric guitar or electric bass guitar.


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Fender Play November 2019

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: