It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Post subject: Do you believe in ghosts, aliens or anything alike?
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:46 am
Roadie
Roadie

I'm not sure I've talked about this in this forum... Whenever this subject comes up, the stories are invariably quite interesting.

So, have you ever seen anything that you believe was supernatural, spiritual or even alien?

Something that was definitely out of the ordinary?

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: Do you believe in ghosts, aliens or anything alike?
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:17 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I've never seen Him but I believe in the Holy Spirit.

:mrgreen:
Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:14 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Spiritual beliefs aside...
I believe that we must be incredibly selfish to believe that we are the only intelligent life forms in this vast universe.
I believe that we must be incredibly conceited to believe that any life form with the ability to travel to this planet would have any interest in us beyond the interest that we have for stone-age tribal culture.

"They" are in all probability "out there"
Because of the vastness of space and the limits of physics, we have not, and likely never will discover each other. The furthest that any identifiable broadcasts from mankind has traveled is roughly 120 light years.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:17 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I saw john mccaine come back from the dead when jeff flake wavered. :wink:

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:54 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

CB91710 wrote:
Spiritual beliefs aside...
I believe that we must be incredibly selfish to believe that we are the only intelligent life forms in this vast universe.
I believe that we must be incredibly conceited to believe that any life form with the ability to travel to this planet would have any interest in us beyond the interest that we have for stone-age tribal culture.

"They" are in all probability "out there"
Because of the vastness of space and the limits of physics, we have not, and likely never will discover each other. The furthest that any identifiable broadcasts from mankind has traveled is roughly 120 light years.

That is truth, based on physics and the Copernican principal.

Also, since power obeys the inverse square law, think about the power loss by that signal after having traveled 120 light years, and the fact that the cosmic microwave background radiation creates a noise floor for the universe. That signal is undoubtedly long-lost in the noise of the universe. It's unlikely any other civilizations will be able to detect us, or we them; but that doesn't mean we should stop trying.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:56 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I have encountered events to which I could find no explanation. They have happened with others (some who are professionals and others who are plain everyday folk from a variety of backgrounds). Then there are those who have a closed mind that gave no contribution to fact finding which eliminates any chance of disproving or proving it. That includes my complacent disbelieving better half.

I do not prescribe in a definite belief of aliens, nor would I rule it out. We earthlings are odd bunch and I sometimes wonder if we are intelligent. Definitely more intelligent than some, but I firmly believe we are less intelligent than others. Even, arguably in some ways, but not all, here on earth. We pat ourselves on the back and can compete with our accomplishments. No contest. However, what about competing with our failures? We might get a whupping in that arena. There might be no contest there too; but, not in our favour. If intelligent life exists elsewhere, then we are aliens. No movie required. Plenty exist.

I am spiritual, but I am not one for man made religion. I have close experience with many years of daily telecasts working a variety of Christian preaching, music, children’s shows, and more. Locally and nationally. I’ve shaken the hand of the charismatic Dali Lama. But, most of all, at an early age and later I took interest in the world’s major religions, and I consider their writings to be some of the finest art the world has ever known. This former choir boy from a 90 strong choir finds the whole affair curious.

As for ghosts. That depends. I’ve physically felt and seen things that might indicate an appearance. Again alone, and with a family group who witnessed an untouched photograph breakage during a wake. All could be coincidence or something else. However, it was all unexpected. No image has ever appeared though.

With the body spent I believe the spirit lives on and whether it stays whole or becomes more or less I believe this energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It simply is.

I’m not sure of any of this. Perhaps, I’ll make that discovery as time passes. I’m not ready to make that move, but I look forward to it. I’ll probably be wrong on most if not all accounts. However, even if I’m right on one, I’ll be elated if that is a possibility. :wink:

FSB

I sure hope the aliens land here. It could be the start of cheaper air fares. :shock:

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:57 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

spacewolf wrote:
That is truth, based on physics and the Copernican principal.

Also, since power obeys the inverse square law, think about the power loss by that signal after having traveled 120 light years, and the fact that the cosmic microwave background radiation creates a noise floor for the universe. That signal is undoubtedly long-lost in the noise of the universe. It's unlikely any other civilizations will be able to detect us, or we them; but that doesn't mean we should stop trying.

The power issue is interesting.
To be detectable is not the same as identifiable.
The SETI project is not even prepared to decode any signals that they may detect... what they are doing is many times simpler.
Take for example, the regular but somewhat random crashing of waves, masking the identifiable sound of a boat engine. What is the difference? The boat engine is consistent. All they are looking for is a signal that is not random. Either a steady-state solid signal, or something that is repetitive, but of a tight enough frequency band to be unlikely to have originated from a natural radio source.
The Voyager signals are extremely weak, yet still providing usable data.

This is a SETI type image showing Voyager against the background noise. A signal from an alien intelligence would appear similar.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:30 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I, like others, got involved with SETI by letting them use my computer during my downtime. That was 23 years ago and I have moved on.

While I am a fan, I’m not so sure that there will ever be a matchup of communication between aliens and earthlings. Understandably, as Rich points out, it’s not so much about decoding, it’s more about locating and confirmation.

What if it’s colours that communicate the message, or what if they communicate amongst themselves intentionally without our knowledge by bending light, or what if they live amongst us in another dimension, or . . . Okay, I’ll bite. Sound is very possible, but not unavoidable if you want to keep from being detected, especially at a distance where we are talking light years before detection. Here’s the rub. If there were any reason to prevent detection it would mean that they are aware of us and that they would consider what we have to track them. What are the odds of that? What are the odds of intentionally trying to contact us from a time long before we had any chance of communicating sending or receiving?

It’s also about trust and sharing with the scientific and non-scientific community. Money, support, power, and fame is involved. Much to gain and much to lose. If contact is made, what chance is there that the confirmation will be released to either those with need or those with curiosity?

Meanwhile, I’m still communicating with Microsoft and Apple, and it could be a whole lot better.

FSB

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:47 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

CB91710 wrote:
Actually, some of the latest thinking is that our particular planet might be extremely unusual, to such an extraordinary degree which may even be (pardon the pun) astronomical. As in impossible to duplicate. As they continue to take longer and longer exposures over smaller and smaller windows in the sky, reaching further than ever before and continually fine tuning their filtering algorithms, they are becoming less and less confident they will find another planet that supports life as we define it. It's not written in stone just yet but the likelihood that we are alone in the universe is increasing, not decreasing.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:15 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

POST DELETED ... Too much info for this audience ...

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:03 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

BMW-KTM wrote:
CB91710 wrote:
Actually, some of the latest thinking is that our particular planet might be extremely unusual, to such an extraordinary degree which may even be (pardon the pun) astronomical. As in impossible to duplicate. As they continue to take longer and longer exposures over smaller and smaller windows in the sky, reaching further than ever before and continually fine tuning their filtering algorithms, they are becoming less and less confident they will find another planet that supports life as we define it. It's not written in stone just yet but the likelihood that we are alone in the universe is increasing, not decreasing.

+1

I believe in God, anything else no.

And if life did exist in some remote (to us) part of the universe, they would most likely be so far from us that contact is impossible, so who cares. We have more than enough problems to concentrate on already.

I would rather spend my time trying to come up with the cash to buy that new 12 string Strat. :)

8)

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:32 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

It's hard for me to really believe that there is nothing else beyond our planet that sustains and flourishes with some form of life, intelligent and/or otherwise

about the paranormal and things from after life..

all I can tell ya, is when I was about 18/19 years old, I went to the house of the girl friend where the lead singer in the band I was in at the time. It was a home a few mile from where I grew up.

We're were in a den/study room on the second floor. I was plunking around on an acoustic, with the idea we were going to finish some lyrics of a tune we were trying to write.

I could not put my finger on it, but I couldn't get away from feeling I wasn't alone in that room. Chalked it up to one toke too many on the ride over. It was just very unsettled feeling.

Steve (bandmate) comes back up and asked me if I met "Lucy" yet. Thought it may have been a cat. "Who's Lucy?" Lucy wasn't a cat. A girl w/cerebral palsy who lived in that room some years before these ppl owned the house, died at 12 years in that room.

It used to be his GF's bedroom, but she couldn't stay in there for more than an hour or two before something strange would happen.

I still go by that house on the way to the local golf course, I notice that the house goes up for sale about once every 2 or 3 years.

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:50 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I've told this story before. It's 100% true and I only have one weak possible explanation. I'm not a believer of much, this is just something that happened to me.

Shortly after my daughter was born, I was putting her down for a nap. Now the baby monitor did have video, but for the most part, we just used it for the audio. It was awkward to get the camera set up at nap time without waking her up, so it would be plugged in outside the room.

On this particular occasion, I placed the camera at the bottom of the stairs (her bedroom is at the top of the stairs). I pointed the camera at her doorway and went to a different room where the receiver was.

Now first thing I noticed when I looked at the display was the light coming down the stairs was VERY bright (overexposing the camera slightly) and streaking down the stairs. But I do some photography and I'm very aware that light does odd things sometimes, especially when a lense is involved. I just blew it off.

I'm working on the computer and glance at the display. Here's where it gets weird. I see a cat stroll into the camera shot in front of my daughters door. A white cat.

We did have a cat. A black and white cat (mostly black). But in my head, I accepted that the odd light bouncing down the stairs had overexposed the camera and he must just be showing up white for that reason. He looks a little smaller than I would expect, but then again, I'm seeing this on a tiny baby monitor display.

The only thing that was bothering me .... I was pretty sure the cat was in the other bedroom - with the door closed. So I'm looking hard at this display thinking if he is indeed behind a closed door, I would question what I saw. So I looked VERY closely - yep thats a kitty.

So in case you didn't see it coming ... Yeah the cat was closed in the other bedroom. We had another cat who had just died recently. She was smaller and kind of a light grey/orangy color.

The only explanation I can think of is I was watching the signal from a neighbor's baby monitor and they happened to have their monitor at the bottom of their stairs too. Other than that? No idea.

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:11 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

That’s an interesting story ghost_of_strings. That would freak me out.

I have a story that freaked another out. It isn’t about seeing a ghost, but more or less becoming one.

Some years ago we hosted a group of Inuit (Eskimo) school children and an elder from way up north in an isolated area from the land of Nanook where world renowned soapstone carving comes from. The group was on a stopover on their way to Ottawa for an official award from the government. We all needed an interpreter because none of them had ever left home before, and the first place the plane landed was in the big city where everything was pretty much a new introduction. They got a tour of the TV AM/FM station; but, once they arrived in the studio, the old fella went crazy and interpreters and his associates had quite a time calming him down.

The problem is that he saw his image in the studio TV monitor, He kept feeling his face and body because he believed his spirit had been stolen and locked inside the TV monitor.

Once we showed him our image in the monitor and once he became content that all was well he calmed down. He was such a sweet old fella I felt sorry for him. It was an experience I know he’ll never forget. I know I never will.

FSB

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:40 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yes...

Don't leave home without it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next